Shooting at art festival in Texas

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
The only thing that shows is that the FBI and DHS have become very good at profiling and stopping Jihadists compared to the rest of the world.

I love the way Republicans both hate the government and call it incompetent, while putting Jesus level faith in the super-secret portions of it (FBI, CIA etc).

the cognitive dissonance must be unbearable, or more likely, you are simply immune to it.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think that is a common misconception. Here is the reality (or maybe not, I just looked up the first site that would contradict you).

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/05/muslims-only-carried-out-2-5-percent-of-terrorist-attacks-on-u-s-soil-between-1970-and-2012.html
I'd personally file that under "figures don't lie but liars figure". Under that chart, an assault (which can be as little as a push) or a "hostile takeover" or sabotage counts exactly the same as 9/11 or the Oklahoma City Federal Building bombing. How does that make sense?

"My wife and her co-workers were blown up as they were working."
"My father was burned alive by flowing jet fuel."
"I know exactly how you guys feel - eco-terrorists put sugar in my bulldozer's diesel tank. Cost me two grand to have that sucker rebuilt."

One of these things is not like the others. Except on this FBI list.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
I'd personally file that under "figures don't lie but liars figure". Under that chart, an assault (which can be as little as a push) or a "hostile takeover" or sabotage counts exactly the same as 9/11 or the Oklahoma City Federal Building bombing. How does that make sense?

"My wife and her co-workers were blown up as they were working."
"My father was burned alive by flowing jet fuel."
"I know exactly how you guys feel - eco-terrorists put sugar in my bulldozer's diesel tank. Cost me two grand to have that sucker rebuilt."

One of these things is not like the others. Except on this FBI list.

Did you read the article?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I did. I was not impressed. It's a pretty standard "don't blame Muslims" piece.

If you wish to pretend that 9/11 = sabotaging a bulldozer = setting off a pipe bomb outside a mosque, it's no skin off my nose.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005

Muslims make up .8% of the US population, and do 6% of the terrorist acts on US soil. Jews make up 2% of the US population, and do 7% of the terrorists acts.

Why aren't you telling possum there was more then one bulldozer and one pipe bomb

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Why aren't you telling possum there was more then one bulldozer and one pipe bomb
Because since he and I both enjoy functional brains, he knows that I know there was "more than one bulldozer and one pipe bomb". Doesn't make my point any less valid, any more than a serial shoplifter is a bigger problem than Bernie Madoff even if you really, really have a thing for the shoplifter. Jewish terrorism, even if one goes back forty years and counts every minor incident as equal to a 9/11, is simply not as big a problem as is Islamic terrorism. Arguing that it is simply makes you look foolish.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Because since he and I both enjoy functional brains, he knows that I know there was "more than one bulldozer and one pipe bomb". Doesn't make my point any less valid, any more than a serial shoplifter is a bigger problem than Bernie Madoff even if you really, really have a thing for the shoplifter. Jewish terrorism, even if one goes back forty years and counts every minor incident as equal to a 9/11, is simply not as big a problem as is Islamic terrorism. Arguing that it is simply makes you look foolish.

The article is about terrorism, when you compare terrorist acts done by Muslims to all the other acts of terror in the US, the percentage is very small.
When you want to compare sugar in a gas tank to 911 your trying to frame the argument in a very dishonest way, or you have some kind of mental issues. Most people can see through that in a heartbeat, I'm going to assume you may not be aware of that. You often make these kind of crazy leaps

Here is a list of terrorist acts in the US, in case all you can think of is 911, a pipe bomb and some sugar in a diesel tank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States

Americans do love their terrorism eh?
I wonder why

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The article is about terrorism, when you compare terrorist acts done by Muslims to all the other acts of terror in the US, the percentage is very small.
When you want to compare sugar in a gas tank to 911 your trying to frame the argument in a very dishonest way, or you have some kind of mental issues. Most people can see through that in a heartbeat, I'm going to assume you may not be aware of that. You often make these kind of crazy leaps

Here is a list of terrorist acts in the US, in case all you can think of is 911, a pipe bomb and some sugar in a diesel tank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States

Americans do love their terrorism eh?
lol All I can think of? Sheesh. Sometimes I forget that you are literally incapable of reading beyond "Muslims good, Christians (and apparently, Jews) bad".

Here's the fucking FBI list from which this wonderland of apologism was birthed, Precious. Knock yourself out. http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/terrorism-2002-2005/terror02_05#terror_05sum

Kudos to those who read it and say "Hey, the Jewish Defense League! I remember them." I'm guessing that number will be . . . small. EDIT: But let's not forget that in their history, they managed to kill a grand total of three Americans. Obviously these people are the REAL threat.

I don't want to be the guy who defends ELF, but c'mon.

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
lol All I can think of? Sheesh. Sometimes I forget that you are literally incapable of reading beyond "Muslims good, Christians (and apparently, Jews) bad".

Most of my family and a lot of my friends and every other person I know is Christian.
They are all good people. I have never said boo about Jews since I really don't know any.
Once again you just make up fantasies to justify your delusions.

I don't want to be the guy who defends ELF, but c'mon.

Was that list I posted of horrible savage American terrorist acts too long for you?

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Most of my family and a lot of my friends and every other person I know is Christian.
They are all good people. I have never said boo about Jews since I really don't know any.
Once again you just make up fantasies to justify your delusions.

Was that list I posted of horrible savage American terrorist acts too long for you?
Again, I read the actual FBI list from which all these articles are based. I was not impressed. But then, I haven't appointed myself a Social Justice Warrior protecting the Muslims. Your Mileage WILL Vary, obviously.

Just to be perfectly clear - any list or article which counts a tree spiking or sabotaging a chairlift or a homemade pipe bomb as an equal event to 9/11 deserves NOTHING but ridicule.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Again, I read the actual FBI list from which all these articles are based. I was not impressed. But then, I haven't appointed myself a Social Justice Warrior protecting the Muslims. Your Mileage WILL Vary, obviously.

Just to be perfectly clear - any list or article which counts a tree spiking or sabotaging a chairlift or a homemade pipe bomb as an equal event to 9/11 deserves NOTHING but ridicule.

My wiki list does not have any tree spikers. It lists the hundreds of savage American terrorist acts

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
My wiki list does not have any tree spikers. It lists the hundreds of savage American terrorist acts
Fine, ignore the actual FBI list from which all these "articles" spring in favor of the idiocracy. So start with the latest on your list and work your way backward. Maybe weight those within the last decade or two a bit more heavily than those in, say, 1983 or 1893. Then see what kind of picture emerges.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Fine, ignore the actual FBI list from which all these "articles" spring in favor of the idiocracy. So start with the latest on your list and work your way backward. Maybe weight those within the last decade or two a bit more heavily than those in, say, 1983 or 1893. Then see what kind of picture emerges.

It looks like since 2010 terrorist acts by Muslims have dropped dramatically and American right wing terrorism has risen

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHAHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!

Thanks, I needed something to laugh about today.

Look at your pathetically small weiner, I'm sure that'll make you chuckle for hours.

I love the way Republicans both hate the government and call it incompetent, while putting Jesus level faith in the super-secret portions of it (FBI, CIA etc).

the cognitive dissonance must be unbearable, or more likely, you are simply immune to it.

You're so fucking stupid you can't even tell that I'm not a Republican (been a moderate Dem all my life), nor have I ever called federal law enforcement incompetent (in fact, they're very damned good at what they do). So just STFU if you don't know what you're talking about, dumbass. :p

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Because your wiki list is unofficial bullshit? Try reading the actual government figures, for shit's sake.

Which terrorist attacks did not happen that are on the list, and which attacks by Muslims happened that are not on the list?

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
It's your fucking post, I don't visit wikipedia if I don't have to (and I sure as hell don't use it as a source anymore), the very nature of it is flawed.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
It's your fucking post, I don't visit wikipedia if I don't have to (and I sure as hell don't use it as a source anymore), the very nature of it is flawed.

Ah ok..
Well according to the official list, the number of American right wing terrorist attacks far outnumbers those committed by Muslims in America.
Maybe this has to do with the rise in SJW's posts on the internet

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Ah ok..
Well according to the official list, the number of American right wing terrorist attacks far outnumbers those committed by Muslims in America.
Maybe this has to do with the rise in SJW's posts on the internet

Or that Muslims make up .8% of the US population. Its the same reason we don't have a lot of deaths by dinosaurs, because, you know, we don't have dinosaurs.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Or that Muslims make up .8% of the US population. Its the same reason we don't have a lot of deaths by dinosaurs, because, you know, we don't have dinosaurs.

The fact remains, America has far more right wing terrorist attacks then it has had attacks by Muslims or dinosaurs