Shooting at art festival in Texas

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The fact remains, America has far more right wing terrorist attacks then it has had attacks by Muslims or dinosaurs

If you are saying that Americans should be more worried about right wing terrorist attacks vs Muslim terrorist attacks, then 100% agree. Like everyone everywhere else in the world, we overvalue some things. In this case, the public is far too concerned with religious terrorists attacks, and Muslim terrorist attacks make up such a small portion here that its stupid to focus on it the way we do.

But, that's everyone everywhere.

If the message is that Muslims are like any other religious followers, then that is wrong. If the message is that we have bigger things to worry about in North American, then that is correct.

The whole point I have been making with you, is that you said Muslims are just normal people. That is incorrect because Muslims make up a disproportionate number of non-normal groups.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
The whole point I have been making with you, is that you said Muslims are just normal people. That is incorrect because Muslims make up a disproportionate number of non-normal groups.

Following your logic, out of the number of right wing Americans, the amount of terrorist acts committed by them is insanely high. Right wing Americans are not normal people and one of the greatest threats mankind has seen

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Following your logic, out of the number of right wing Americans, the amount of terrorist acts committed by them is insanely high. Right wing Americans are not normal people and one of the greatest threats mankind has seen

Again, you are being dumb.

Normal does not imply good or bad. It used to be normal that blacks were slaves. Its now normal that blacks are not slaves.

You said this.
Well, they are all just stupid questions.
It's too bad you have never had a chance to meet a Muslim and discuss your fears with him
I'm sure you are surrounded by them, but you must not get out enough in your community to come across them.
If you did, you would find out they are just normal everyday good people

The implications of your statement is that Muslims fall into typical categories like anyone else. That is not inherently true, because Muslims make up a disproportionate number of terrorists relative to their population.

Again, the US public has many things to worry about, and Islamic terrorism is way down the list. But, your statement is incorrect that Muslims are everyday people, because, per capita that is incorrect.

Right wing Americans make up a huge number of people in the population thus you would expect the nominal number of acts to be higher than a demographic that makes up a small number. Go figure.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Typical liberal agenda, painting the american right as terrorists and extremists so you can marginalize them.

I am part of the vast left wing conspiracy michal and we are gunning for YOU specifically! You better be watching your back.

ROFL

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
The implications of your statement is that Muslims fall into typical categories like anyone else. That is not inherently true, because Muslims make up a disproportionate number of terrorists relative to their population.

Like right wing Americans, who make up a disproportionate number of terrorists relative to their population

Again, the US public has many things to worry about, and Islamic terrorism is way down the list. But, your statement is incorrect that Muslims are everyday people, because, per capita that is incorrect.

Right wing Americans make up a huge number of people in the population thus you would expect the nominal number of acts to be higher than a demographic that makes up a small number. Go figure.

I'm being dumb too though, sitting here typing to a guy who is way too smart for me

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Or that Muslims make up .8% of the US population. Its the same reason we don't have a lot of deaths by dinosaurs, because, you know, we don't have dinosaurs.
:D +1

Like right wing Americans, who make up a disproportionate number of terrorists relative to their population

I'm being dumb too though, sitting here typing to a guy who is way too smart for me
Dude, you could be typing to cheese and cheese would be way too smart for you.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

So, just so we are clear, do you know what disproportionate means? The right wing in the US makes up about 1/3 of the country depending on how you want to define right. Does the amount of terrorists acts in the us done by "right wing" equal 33%? The answer is no, it does not.

Muslims whom make up .8% of the population, do not commit .8% of the terrorists acts in the USA. They in fact commit 6% of the terrorism in the US as stated by the FBI.

Either you dont know what disproportionate means, or you are dumb and dont realize it. Or both I suppose.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
:D +1

Dude, you could be typing to cheese and cheese would be way too smart for you.

I'm just an average guy, I've never claimed to be anything else.
I'm fascinated by people like you. Highly educated, high information..yet so often can't put 2 and 2 together

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
The right wing in the US makes up about 1/3 of the country depending on how you want to define right. Does the amount of terrorists acts in the us done by "right wing" equal 33%? The answer is no, it does not.

Muslims whom make up .8% of the population, do not commit .8% of the terrorists acts in the USA. They in fact commit 6% of the terrorism in the US as stated by the FBI.

Ya, depending on how a guy defines right wing would have a lot to do with it
Only 33% of Americans identify as right wing? Can you show me how you came up with that?

I see 14 terrorist attacks since 2010 (let's stick to that time frame instead of going all the way back to 1800).
Two of them were committed by Muslims, the rest were by right wing terrorists (technically Muslims would be considered right wing too eh, but we'll stick to good ol fashion American style right wingers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States#2010.E2.80.93present

Bust out that smart calculator again, what's that come to?
Make sure to show your work ;)

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Ya, depending on how a guy defines right wing would have a lot to do with it
Only 33% of Americans identify as right wing? Can you show me how you came up with that?

I see 14 terrorist attacks since 2010 (let's stick to that time frame instead of going all the way back to 1800).
Two of them were committed by Muslims, the rest were by right wing terrorists (technically Muslims would be considered right wing too eh, but we'll stick to good ol fashion American style right wingers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States#2010.E2.80.93present

Bust out that smart calculator again, what's that come to?
Make sure to show your work ;)

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

There is where you can see party affiliation break down.

This is actually starting to get a little funny. Religion and political affiliation are not mutually exclusive.

This is real simple, and yet you seem to be saying the opposite of numbers.

If you have 100 people. The first group has 80 people. The 2nd group has 15 people. The 3rd group has 5 people. If there are 100 terrorist attacks, and the group that has 5 people in it commit 6 acts, the group that has 15 commits 15 acts, and the group that has 80 commits 79 acts. That would mean that the nominal count is higher for the largest group, but the smallest group committed a disproportionate number of acts.

Do you understand this?

If you do, then how can you claim that Muslims are just like everyone else, when they commit more acts relative to their numbers?

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Original earl consistently proves he doesn't understand the basics of statistical analysis. Like many people lacking a post secondary education, he holds those who have one in disregard (see post 585).

You will never get him to understand the facts of what you're saying because he quite literally cannot understand them. Tell him that 15-20k people did each year in terrorist attacks, the bulk by Muslims, and he will find an example of when it didn't happen to equilize everything, like a smoker saying smoking doesn't cause cancer because his grandfather smoked and lived to 92. In fact, OE seems kind of like a smoker.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Original earl consistently proves he doesn't understand the basics of statistical analysis. Like many people lacking a post secondary education, he holds those who have one in disregard (see post 585).

You will never get him to understand the facts of what you're saying because he quite literally cannot understand them. Tell him that 15-20k people did each year in terrorist attacks, the bulk by Muslims, and he will find an example of when it didn't happen to equilize everything, like a smoker saying smoking doesn't cause cancer because his grandfather smoked and lived to 92. In fact, OE seems kind of like a smoker.

I am starting to think that you might be right.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

There is where you can see party affiliation break down.

This is actually starting to get a little funny. Religion and political affiliation are not mutually exclusive.

Who said they were?
I asked you how many Americans identify as right wing, nothing religious about it

This is real simple, and yet you seem to be saying the opposite of numbers.

If you have 100 people. The first group has 80 people. The 2nd group has 15 people. The 3rd group has 5 people. If there are 100 terrorist attacks, and the group that has 5 people in it commit 6 acts, the group that has 15 commits 15 acts, and the group that has 80 commits 79 acts. That would mean that the nominal count is higher for the largest group, but the smallest group committed a disproportionate number of acts.

Do you understand this?

Yup.. really simple stuff there
The small amount of Muslims in the US commit a very small amount of terrorism.
The larger amount of right wingers commit a larger amount of terrorism

Two acts by Muslims.
Twelve by right wingers.

I asked you to do up the math and show your work, so we can see how much worse the Muslims were.
You didn't do it

Do you understand this?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005

Over 60% of this board believe Muslims are a threat.
Over 80% of this board identify as loners. You could even add on even a few more percent because some will think they are not loners because the mailman comes to their house.
By far most posters here are antisocial. That's why you think people without your education hold you in disregard and think your better

Most people on this board are not good with people, this would lead them to misjudge people regularly

Oh..and as for possum, he has proven what I said a thousand times over.

Last edited:

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Over 60% of this board believe Muslims are a threat.
Over 80% of this board identify as loners. You could even add on even a few more percent because some will think they are not loners because the mailman comes to their house.
By far most posters here are antisocial

Most people on this board are not good with people, this would lead them to misjudge people regularly

What are you, a psychologist?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
What are you, a psychologist?

I mentioned earlier that I work at a lumber yard, that's mostly why these two have judged me as dumb.
Over my time here, I've done a lot of reading on antisocial stuff.
A lot of other posters bring it up also (probably why a poster did the survey) the Dunning–Kruger effect is rampant here

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Who said they were?
I asked you how many Americans identify as right wing, nothing religious about it

Yup.. really simple stuff there
The small amount of Muslims in the US commit a very small amount of terrorism.
The larger amount of right wingers commit a larger amount of terrorism

Two acts by Muslims.
Twelve by right wingers.

I asked you to do up the math and show your work, so we can see how much worse the Muslims were.
You didn't do it

Do you understand this?

:eek:

2.4 million Muslims in the US. 1 terrorist attack for every 1.2 million Muslims in the US.

99 Million "Right Wing" in the US. 1 terrorist attack for every 8.25 million "Right Wing" people in the us.

Holy shit, how did you need me to do the math? By your own damn numbers, its pretty obvious.

By this alone, which is by your numbers, we get that Muslims in the US are 6.875 times more likely to commit terrorism than "Right Wing" people.

So, still dumb eh?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
:eek:

2.4 million Muslims in the US. 1 terrorist attack for every 1.2 million Muslims in the US.

99 Million "Right Wing" in the US. 1 terrorist attack for every 8.25 million "Right Wing" people in the us.

Holy shit, how did you need me to do the math? By your own damn numbers, its pretty obvious.

By this alone, which is by your numbers, we get that Muslims in the US are 6.875 times more likely to commit terrorism than "Right Wing" people.

So, still dumb eh?

It is dumb, I didn't need you to do the math, I did it before I asked the question.
You realize us construction guys have to be pretty good at math
I just wanted to get you to do it

Out of 300 million people, those numbers are pretty insignificant and meaningless eh

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It is dumb, I didn't need you to do the math, I did it before I asked the question.
You realize us construction guys have to be pretty good at math
I just wanted to get you to do it

Out of 300 million people, those numbers are pretty insignificant and meaningless eh

I know, which is why I said as much. If the point you are trying to make, is that there are bigger things to worry about, yep. But, if your point is that Muslims are just as harmless/harmful as other people, that is wrong. "Right wing" are 6 times less dangerous in likelihood. So, when you said your statement, which I have already linked to, you were wrong.

How can you say they are the same, when they are not the same?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
I know, which is why I said as much. If the point you are trying to make, is that there are bigger things to worry about, yep. But, if your point is that Muslims are just as harmless/harmful as other people, that is wrong. "Right wing" are 6 times less dangerous in likelihood. So, when you said your statement, which I have already linked to, you were wrong.

How can you say they are the same, when they are not the same?

Crazy people are crazy, most of us are not crazy

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Yes, most of us are not crazy. But some groups seem to produce more crazies than other groups. Why is it problematic to identify that?

Crazy wasn't the best word to use either was it
Because in most of these cases, very few are actually crazy

It's not problematic to identify it. It's problematic to identify all the different reasons why
Up here you often hear people wondering why so many Americans kill each other
They've put you all into a nice little group and concluded you guys will kill each other at the drop of a hat
There's thousands of news stories and lots of stats that back that up
Now, you and I know that Americans aren't just one big group.
That's what it seems your doing with Muslims.