Shaq Traded to Phoenix

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: StinkyMojo
Originally posted by: homercles337
Originally posted by: waggy
Shaq is a hack. He is probably one of the *worst* players in the NBA.

/me taps his sarcasm meter..hmm seems to be working.

Talent? Nope. Not there. He's big, thats all he has got.

:confused:

Ok.. I'd rather have Marion over Shaq anyday... but that doesn't mean he's lost all talent.

Explain. He is a talentless hack. Unless you think "talent" means size. :confused:

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003

Ok.. I'd rather have Marion over Shaq anyday... but that doesn't mean he's lost all talent.

Explain. He is a talentless hack. Unless you think "talent" means size. :confused:

Talentless Hack? ummmmmmmmmm I dont even know how to begin with this one.

How about the 4 NBA championship rings he has?

Oh, is that not enough for you?

How about the fact that since 1999 the NBA finals have had either Shaq or Duncan in them?

Still not enough?

Well then sir you are retarded and probably still think the patriots are the best team in the NFL

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
I still dont understand all the hate in this thread...

People say the suns are a "run n gun" team obviously dont understand that a fast break can still be run with 4 people.

The suns are weak when the game gets slowed down to a halfcourt game. Look at the last suns game against the spurs. The suns were winning the whole game, then just fell off the face of this earth when it actually mattered.

As an ACTUAL suns fan (One who has watched almost every game for the past 4 years and have followed them extensively since the barkley era), i think this is a good roll of the dice IF shaq is healthy.

NEVER, and i repeat, NEVER in the history of the Suns have they had a good center. 40+ years have gone by without the suns having a legitimate big man. It's time for some kind of change, and I think a rejuvinated Shaq could do it for us.

People said the same thing about Steve Nash when he came to the Suns. People said the same thing about Grant hill when he came to the suns. Now people are saying the same thing about Shaq when he comes to the Suns.

My last question is this:
Nash, Amare and Shaq all command a double team. So when all three of them are in the game, who is the defense going to focus on? Its going to be next to impossible.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Originally posted by: cheezy321

How about the fact that since 1999 the NBA finals have had either Shaq or Duncan in them?

Still not enough?

Well then sir you are retarded and probably still think the patriots are the best team in the NFL

you are an idiot...we are talking about NOW, not years ago...and by your logic, you are the one that would say the patriots are still the best

oh, and the lakers are better than the suns

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
PHX needed help defensively more than anything. They needed a defensive anchor and they got Shaq, who is far from that at this point. This will go down as the worst trade in PHX history.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
Originally posted by: slayer202

Still not enough?

you are an idiot...we are talking about NOW, not years ago...and by your logic, you are the one that would say the patriots are still the best

Do you remember when people said the same thing about Nash? How he is washed up and Phoenix is taking a big chance on him?

They didn't say it as much with grant hill (Because we got him for so cheap), but there were still lots of haters saying Grant is going to be injured all the time and will never be productive. Besides an appendectomy, Grant is playing like he did years ago.....

People are saying the same thing about Shaq again....

It seems to me that the Sun in Phoenix is great at healing these "washed up, injured" players

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
On second thought.... this is great for Shaq.

1. Recent Divorce and this gets him out of Miami
2. Losing = Depression and thats not good when you play for the Heat
3. Bad relationship with Riley... sinking fast
4. New scenery and realistically probably the last "new" style of basketball he will play in his career. Fast paced, Nash/Amare/Shaq, hes been on all sorts of awesome lineups

For example:

Penny/Shaq then getting reamed by Hakeem

Kobe/Shaq - fun while it lasted... as well as being coached by Phil Jackson

Kobe/Shaq/Malone/Peyton - hall of fame line up

Shaq/Wade - Flash/Superman

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Do you remember when people said the same thing about Nash? How he is washed up and Phoenix is taking a big chance on him?

They didn't say it as much with grant hill (Because we got him for so cheap), but there were still lots of haters saying Grant is going to be injured all the time and will never be productive. Besides an appendectomy, Grant is playing like he did years ago.....

It seems to me that the Sun in Phoenix is great at healing these "washed up, injured" players

lol, no, I don't remember anything about people talking about nash being washed up...And grant and shaq are two different players. One of them (grant) has had bad luck with getting injured, and on the other hand, shaq is getting too old and worn down, which is causing injuries.

Either way, you make it seem like the suns have a reputation for making good moves, especially with older players...

I understand you are a suns fan, but come on now...Shaq might have been one of the better big men that are on the trading block, but only because no one else is out there, and that does not make the deal a smart one. Would have been better off getting a SG or SF

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
jeez, talk about a poor fit. shaq might as well cart around an oxygen tank while he's running up and down the floor.

btw, how about Miami going from NBA champs to cellar dwellers...

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I know its Shaquille O'Neal and all, but Kerr's about 10 years too late and now has acquired an aging washed up enigma who's 1/2 of what he once was, something Katie Holmes can relate to and look at where its gotten her.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
It feels just like yesterday when the Heat held that huge press conference when they acquired Shaq and they had all that Hoopla with Shaq in front of the stadium telling Miami how many championships he was going to bring to the city for years to come. Oh well, at least they got one before he left.

I do feel bad for Marion though.. Reminds me of a story..

I saw him last year at a steakhouse in Chicago (Tavern on Rush) and some chinese dude walking on the street saw him and asked him if he was Stephon Marbury. LOL The look on Marion's face as priceless as he corrected him... "Marbury? No man. Im Shawn Marion.. Pfft."

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
"What are they (expletive) thinking?" one Western Conference executive blurted late Tuesday night.

"I have no clue what they are thinking," one Eastern Conference scout said. "Shaq retired two years ago."

"It seems like a classic clash of styles," one Western Conference GM said.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005

Still not enough?

Haha.

1. I am a Mavs fan, I sure as hell didn't hear ANYONE around here saying Nash is washed up nor did I see it in his play.

2. How many games has Shaq missed this season? Last season?

If you are this gung ho let's make some side wagers on how many minutes Shaq will play for the rest of the regular season. My estimate is 480. What do you think?

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I still dont understand all the hate in this thread...

People say the suns are a "run n gun" team obviously dont understand that a fast break can still be run with 4 people.

The suns are weak when the game gets slowed down to a halfcourt game. Look at the last suns game against the spurs. The suns were winning the whole game, then just fell off the face of this earth when it actually mattered.

As an ACTUAL suns fan (One who has watched almost every game for the past 4 years and have followed them extensively since the barkley era), i think this is a good roll of the dice IF shaq is healthy.

NEVER, and i repeat, NEVER in the history of the Suns have they had a good center. 40+ years have gone by without the suns having a legitimate big man. It's time for some kind of change, and I think a rejuvinated Shaq could do it for us.

People said the same thing about Steve Nash when he came to the Suns. People said the same thing about Grant hill when he came to the suns. Now people are saying the same thing about Shaq when he comes to the Suns.

My last question is this:
Nash, Amare and Shaq all command a double team. So when all three of them are in the game, who is the defense going to focus on? Its going to be next to impossible.

I agree. I've been a Suns fan since the Hornacek/KJ/Chambers days . . .

As to the bolded point, again, I agree. You'd think people never watched the Celtics of the mid-80's, or the Showtime Lakers. Both teams that loved to run the break, and both teams that had guys that didn't exactly race up and down the floor . . . (Kareem . . . Walton . . .McHale . . . Parish). You just need somebody to block a shot or outlet a rebound . . . and Shaq is a very good passer.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: thepd7

Still not enough?

Haha.

1. I am a Mavs fan, I sure as hell didn't hear ANYONE around here saying Nash is washed up nor did I see it in his play.

If you are this gung ho let's make some side wagers on how many minutes Shaq will play for the rest of the regular season. My estimate is 480. What do you think?

Your owner said it, boss, after the Suns offered him a contract. Why do you think Steve loves sticking it to Dallas every time they play?

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: mesthead21
Man, if the suns get rid of Marion for Shaq I will be pissed. IMHO Shaq is done in his career and should retire very soon.

i dont follow basketball but i sure as hell thought this guy was done already. i cant tell you the last time i heard his name.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: thepd7

Still not enough?

Haha.

another guarantee? Even after your Mavs lost in 6 to the Warriors in the playoffs?

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Shaq is only as good as his health holds up, and his health holds up only as much as he keeps his weight down. And he can't keep his weight down if his health doesn't hold up...

Its definitely diminishing returns with shaq, altho to be fair, if anyone can help put some youth back into shaq's legs, it will be playing with a steve nash.

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: jjsole
Shaq is only as good as his health holds up, and his health holds up only as much as he keeps his weight down. And he can't keep his weight down if his health doesn't hold up...

Its definitely diminishing returns with shaq, altho to be fair, if anyone can help put some youth back into shaq's legs, it will be playing with a steve nash.

I bet a lot of his ailments mysteriously vanish now.

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Who cares? It's basketball.

I don't care for basketball either, but I know of the players involved and recognized a basketball thread before entering/commenting. What's your excuse?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: aldamon
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Who cares? It's basketball.

I don't care for basketball either, but I know of the players involved and recognized a basketball thread before entering/commenting. What's your excuse?

I suppose at least it's not baseball.