[SemiAccurate] Intel kills off the 10nm process

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Official press release says modems for Smartphones are cancelled and the rest are under review. Since many APs use integrated LTE modems that points the reason squarely at Apple.

Charlie says the entire modem project was cancelled several months ago, presumably because they knew they couldn't meet Apple's deadline, and without Apple they can't justify the development expense. The "under review" is of course just PR so people don't start asking questions about why they couldn't; especially if the answer is basically 10 nm one way or another.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Charlie says the entire modem project was cancelled several months ago, presumably because they knew they couldn't meet Apple's deadline, and without Apple they can't justify the development expense. The "under review" is of course just PR so people don't start asking questions about why they couldn't; especially if the answer is basically 10 nm one way or another.

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't/don't have proof that the 8160 is completely dead. We'll see if it shows up anywhere over the next year.

crheat

Jan 27, 2024
My deep sources tell me than Intel will be having a 7nm 193i in risk production in the 2H of this year.

- New FinFET structure, derived from inserted-oxide FinFET (iFinFET).
- New patterning technique, derived from Tilted Ion Implantation.

7nm 193i => 7nm Low Power, for 2020. Optimized for small dies.
7nm EUV => 7nm High Performance, for 2021. Optimized for large dies. Anything built in LP7 can be co-integrated into HP7 with minimal changes. Which implies TII is used in both 193i(multi-patterned version?) and EUV(single patterned version?).
Did anything ever happen with Intel developing process technology based on iFinFET? New developments in manufacturing process technology could make it a more cost effective scaling option particularly for SRAM.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Did anything ever happen with Intel developing process technology based on iFinFET? New developments in manufacturing process technology could make it a more cost effective scaling option particularly for SRAM.

No one has bothered with iFinFETs in production so far. What will happen will probably be a very mature Intel 3 getting a FFL style rework. iFinFET and TII is only ever going to be used on end-of-life FinFETs for customers not jumping to GAA.