Seattle autonomous zone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
This is an article from the Post Intelligencer.

Hopefully, these people will get bored and chill. We will see how long this will play out.

Sounds like the purpose of the barricades is simply to keep traffic (cars) out of the area.
Otherwise, sounds like the "chill" aspect is a key characteristic of this zone.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I keep seeing antifa mentioned. Is there proof they are linked to this?

Also did the police insist on clearing protesters out in the first place? Is that the antifa link? Police were acting like fascist so by default the protesters are all antifa?

Seems like they spent 4 days perpersraying, shooting rubber bullets, flash banging and tear gassing protesters. Then perhaps ran out of supplies and fled.

This seems like a major failing by the police.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

protesters have taken over an area in Seattle to protest. They are now requiring ID checks at gun point to enter and business pay a fee to keep operating. Things i am sure they were against, just moments ago.--that is not true!

demands include a wide range of topics: i seem to not find a full list.
disbanding the police force and criminal justice system
rent control
free college
None of the above is true.....
It is a fact that the only reason there are more Police on the street is becausde with more police you can write more tickets and take p[eoples hard earned money to fill the citys coffers!

don't pay attention to this part below. bad source: ( i'm sure ill still get grilled and labeled for it after my good faith edit)
another take: == I would never pay attention to any thing that you posted, except to point out that you misrepresnt that truth a lot!!

armed members of a far left gun group are setting up and intimidating people in the zone -- that is not true!!
Here is a rerputable source -- https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...-protesters-stake-out-festive-zone-in-seattle

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Sounds like the purpose of the barricades is simply to keep traffic (cars) out of the area.
exactly!! Deescalate!
but Trump wants an escalation which would mean dead bodies.....

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Someone tried to drive a car though the protestors then got out and shot one of them.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

protesters have taken over an area in Seattle to protest. They are now requiring ID checks at gun point to enter and business pay a fee to keep operating. Things i am sure they were against, just moments ago.

demands include a wide range of topics: i seem to not find a full list.
disbanding the police force and criminal justice system
rent control
free college

don't pay attention to this part below. bad source: ( i'm sure ill still get grilled and labeled for it after my good faith edit)
another take:

armed members of a far left gun group are setting up and intimidating people in the zone
all the above are textbook examples of how a media outlet such as FOX would construe a peaceful protest to rile up and agitate white Republicans and to goad them into taking matters into their own hands!

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Here's my source: "Trump says..."

Come on, Trump is a very reliable source. We can rely on the fact that every last thing he says isn't true. Anyone wanting to know about "things that aren't true" can consult Trump's tweet history for a vast library of research material.

Reactions: Pohemi and JEDIYoda

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Come on, Trump is a very reliable source. We can rely on the fact that every last thing he says isn't true. Anyone wanting to know about "things that aren't true" can consult Trump's tweet history for a vast library of research material.
His state run media outlet has wall to wall coverage on this story.

20200611_142318.jpg

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Someone tried to drive a car though the protestors then got out and shot one of them.
Footage is replayed over and over, locally. Guy stupidly drove down there and got panicked, and accelerated down the street. A guy grabbed at the driver when he slowed down to get him to stop and he shot the guy who was trying to get him to stop. He did stop, finally, got out of the car brandishing his gun, but headed over to the police line where he turned himself in. The guy who got shot apparently just had a flesh wound. Just an out of control situation at the time.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Police “No Go” Zones 2020 Edition: This time FOX finally found one!!! (maybe?)

Reactions: Vic
Nov 8, 2012

I don't care what the article is titled.

In the article it goes into details of whats going on there - with lots of pics and coverage.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
IF you are interested...

the Seattle Police Department this week offered a concession: Officers would abandon their building, board up the windows and let the protesters have free rein outside.

In a neighborhood that is the heart of the city’s art and culture — threatened these days as rising tech wealth brings in gentrification — protesters seized the moment. They reversed the barricades to shield the liberated streets and laid claim to several city blocks, now known as the “Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone.”
What has emerged is an experiment in life without the police — part street festival, part commune. Hundreds have gathered to hear speeches, poetry and music. On Tuesday night, dozens of people sat in the middle of an intersection to watch “13th,” the Ava DuVernay film about the criminal justice system’s impact on African-Americans. On Wednesday, children made chalk drawings in the street.

The protest zone has increasingly functioned with the tacit blessing of the city. Harold Scoggins, the fire chief, was there on Wednesday, chatting with protesters, helping set up a call with the Police Department and making sure the area had portable toilets and sanitation services.

The demonstrators have also been trying to figure it out, with various factions voicing different priorities. A list of three demands was posted prominently on a wall: one, defund the Police Department; two, fund community health; and three, drop all criminal charges against protesters.

But on a nearby fence, there was a list of five demands. Online was a list of 30.

On Wednesday, a team from the Seattle Department of Transportation came through intending to replace some of the orange barriers — including one marked “People’s Republic of Capitol Hill” — with planter boxes filled with coral bells and other plants to give the new pedestrian zone an air of permanence.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
So left wing radicals take over several blocks of Seattle and one of the first things they do is implement border control and have an entry requirement? Interesting. Did I get that right or am I missing something?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Message from Seattle police chief to the fellow officers. I have no dog in this fight. Just getting what's going on out to you. She did not make the decision to abandon the precinct.