SCOTUS further destroys separation of church and state

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
No it means that calling for a boycott could make you liable for a companies loss if it is successful.
Hahaha, laughable. If it doesn't get overturned I'm inclined to call for boycotts across the nation, resulting in billions lost, then just file for bankruptcy.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
The campaign to use public money for private education is all about restoring segregation. Wrapping it up in the shroud of Jesus doesn’t fool anyone.
I think its that but also heavily about getting the state to subsidize their christofascist handmaids tale cults so they can get more people into the fold and indoctrinate them younger.

Evangelicals want a theocracy to hold on to power since their demographics are waning fast.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I think its that but also heavily about getting the state to subsidize their christofascist handmaids tale cults so they can get more people into the fold and indoctrinate them younger.

Evangelicals want a theocracy to hold on to power since their demographics are waning fast.

Why can’t the state simply put restrictions on how the money is to be used? For example they could require certain classes to be taught, certain metrics as compared to national standards has to be met, etc? It’s already been ruled that governments can attach requirements to subsidies. If religious schools want access to state money then make them teach whatever the state says they have to teach.

rza_757

May 16, 2022
I'm more interested in when one of the Students sues to have the religious schools now funded with public money to follow all the same rules everything else funded with public money most follow. No more prayer in your religious school.

That's what I was wondering earlier - check out the federal Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act... This is just what will happen, IMO

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm more interested in when one of the Students sues to have the religious schools now funded with public money to follow all the same rules everything else funded with public money most follow. No more prayer in your religious school.
I must have missed something in this story. The towns are sending students, who would otherwise attend public schools, to schools founded around the principles of a particular religion (Christianity in this case)? And in that manner, forcing students students to take classes in a religion that their parents do not consent to ?

Reactions: hal2kilo

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Thays always been my thought: whats stopping states from then expanding their requirements to get funding? The curriculum has to meet state standards to get cash.

Is that feasible?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I must have missed something in this story. The towns are sending students, who would otherwise attend public schools, to schools founded around the principles of a particular religion (Christianity in this case)? And in that manner, forcing students students to take classes in a religion that their parents do not consent to ?
No, it is just that if the town does not have a school the state provides funds for the kids to go to private schools in the area. The Maine Law stated that those schools could not be religious schools. SCOTUS states that if they pay for any private school, they must pay for religious schools as well.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
So, the eight district court is telling us that one of the simplest and least violent ways to protest (boycotting) is not protected under the First Amendment? I think it's time we start drug testing judges. Because they have to be high as fuck to issue such an insane ruling!
The opinion was a written by a Trump appointee who was "not qualified" by the ABA. So yeah the legal work here is subpar.

Reactions: zinfamous

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
No, it is just that if the town does not have a school the state provides funds for the kids to go to private schools in the area. The Maine Law stated that those schools could not be religious schools. SCOTUS states that if they pay for any private school, they must pay for religious schools as well.
Sounds bass-akwards to me. I don't want the government to have any opportunity to mess with the education that our Catholic schools provide. I wish we could get funds to provide Title 1 services to children having difficulty staying on grade level with math or language arts - out of fairness to the kids - but that doesn't work on several levels. As far as other private schools, as a taxpayer, I wouldn't want to give them a dime. I don't know why the good people of Maine would give any money to non-public schools. If you want your children to get a different type of education - figure out how to pay for it yourself.

All that to say, I think this ruling is hogwash.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
That's the most bizarre one yet. I mean, there's a long list of things I've been boycotting since forever...religion, automobiles, soccer matches (both IRL and on TV), anchovies on pizza...

Is everyone now compelled to consume everything, indiscriminately?
How else are we going to encourage people to burn the rest of the planet down for the remaining resources the oligarchs need to cement their control once they've dissolved small-d democracy and created the aristocracies that are the natural order of things?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
[DJ Khaled] ANOTHER ONE!!![/DJ Khaled]

Now I’m just waiting to see what happens to the first football players who squirt some water on their hands and face, unfurl their prayer carpets on the 50 yard line (facing Mecca of course ) and start chanting “ALLAHU ACKBAR!” after the game.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
[DJ Khaled] ANOTHER ONE!!![/DJ Khaled]

Now I’m just waiting to see what happens to the first football players who squirt some water on their hands and face, unfurl their prayer carpets on the 50 yard line (facing Mecca of course ) and start chanting “ALLAHU ACKBAR!” after the game.

That's exactly my thought. Please...all practicing religions...LFGoooooooooooooooooo! 50 yard line, get your prayer on.