SC upholds UT Affirmative Action.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Why would I need to do that? Is it because you are trying to make this about something I didn't say?

What? What is the matter?

Then why you accused me of things that I NEVER said?

Perfect example of "do as I say, NOT as I do" eh?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
uncle280.jpg~c200

This is how shane sees you.

No not really, I actually see both of you like this:

donald-trump-cnn-614x412.jpg

As a complete and utter fucking idiot.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What? What is the matter?

Then why you accused me of things that I NEVER said?

Perfect example of "do as I say, NOT as I do" eh?

Oh? You didn't say this:

I am talking about ethic based help as in school/academic related help as it was cited in the article .

Pssssst.. I AM a minority so I know a thing or two about being disadvantaged, poor, and all the bad horrible stuffs in life. :)

My bad, it must have been a different svnla that said it.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Oh? You didn't say this:

My bad, it must have been a different svnla that said it.

And from that you said this:

Oh shit he's a minority folks! That means he knows all about this minority stuff! And there is no way he can be racist.

See the words "ALL ABOUT THIS MINORITY STUFF"? See it? You said that. Not me.

Where did I say I know ALL ABOUT THIS MINORITY STUFF as you claimed I said? See the words "I know a thing or two".. NOT ALL as you claimed. Keep digging deeper in your lies, child.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
And from that you said this:

See the words "ALL ABOUT THIS MINORITY STUFF"? See it? You said that. Not me.

Where did I say I know ALL ABOUT THIS MINORITY STUFF as you claimed I said? See the words "I know a thing or two".. NOT ALL as you claimed. Keep digging deeper in your lies, child.

I don't think you could be a bigger idiot, if you tried. Like seriously!

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Marvin the green Martian is my long lost cousin. :sneaky:

Let just say I am a minority enough to know what it is like to be a minority in the US.

Anyway, the article is NOT about me or my ethic. The article is about AA.

Also if it helps think of how any sort of "justice" system works. If one party X is wronged by another Y, Y general has to repay or otherwise make it up to X, incl punitive damages in egregious cases (and racial relations in the US were pretty egregious).

Now it would be ideal if only the people particularly responsible pay, but like most social costs, the old bigots preferred that everyone else also shoulder the responsibility and here we are. So before the bigotted lot here object, remember the additional injustice of the rest of us paying for your wrongs.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I don't think you could be a bigger idiot, if you tried. Like seriously!

When presented with facts, you can't dispute them ===> name callings/insultings. Tst..tst..tst. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Keep talking out loud, child. Show the whole world your true self.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Also if it helps think of how any sort of "justice" system works. If one party X is wronged by another Y, Y general has to repay or otherwise make it up to X, incl punitive damages in egregious cases (and racial relations in the US were pretty egregious).

Now it would be ideal if only the people particularly responsible pay, but like most social costs, the old bigots preferred that everyone else also shoulder the responsibility and here we are. So before the bigotted lot here object, remember the additional injustice of the rest of us paying for your wrongs.
How is NY this time of year?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
When presented with facts, you can't dispute them ===> name callings/insultings. Tst..tst..tst. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Keep talking out loud, child. Show the whole world your true self.

Oh I'm not disputing the facts, which is specifically why when you keep pointing them out I keep calling you an idiot. Your facts support my claim and you are too stupid to realize it!

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Oh I'm not disputing the facts, which is specifically why when you keep pointing them out I keep calling you an idiot. Your facts support my claim and you are too stupid to realize it!
Did that sound impressive and convincing in your head before you typed it? It didn't translate well if it did.

Why don't you quit being a spoiled brat?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

So I never said what you claimed I said => you are a liar, a pathetic bad one at that. Gotcha.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So I never said what you claimed I said => you are a liar, a pathetic bad one at that. Gotcha.

The readers can read exactly what you wrote and they can see exactly what I wrote and unless English isn't their first language I'm confident they will join me in laughing at you.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I don't think anyone would complain if a group is helping others in the same group with academic issues/problems. People complain about folks having meetings in PUBLIC place that EXCLUDE others that are not in the same group. Feel free to provide a link or two that people complain about black or hispanic group helping other blacks/hispanics with academic problems (as in the article) as racist.

You don't have to take my words for it. A few AT members met me in person and they can attest to my statement if it was true or not.

You'd think people wouldn't complain, but buckshot sure did a few weeks ago when we discussed this. My comment about Irish was only a joke, hence the smilie. I don't really care what race you are, from your words it sounded like you needed more diversity in your day to day life. A lot of your questions would be answered by being among different people from different backgrounds and discussing issues with them.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=38273061&postcount=339

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=38280945&postcount=375

Right here on this forum I had a discussion with him about groups catering to specific ethnic groups. Some people feel this is racist, which is dumb.

I brought it up not to argue over, but to say the fight against any specific help based on race extends even to these private groups trying to help minorities integrate. Its a strange mindset to me. I did not mean it as an attack on your post, but a sarcastic sigh at how far some go to try to deny the need for race-based help (again not directed at your post).

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
No, why is it wrong to draw conclusions based on race? Are you arguing that the average black student is not worse off than the average white student?

No I'm not.

If not, why do you think we should ignore this fact when considering how fit an applicant might be?

Because when you're dealing with individuals, averages shouldn't matter. If it's wrong for cops to be naturally suspicious of a young black man based on his statistical propensity to be a criminal, it's equally wrong for admissions officers to give a young black man credit due to his statistical propensity to be a member of an underclass.

It's racial profiling.

If you start at the 50 yard line and I start at the 10 yard line and you cross the goal line 1 yard in front of me should we ignore that I actually ran an extra 40 yards in the same time?

No we shouldn't, if that is the situation. But that's not the situation. We're looking at both applicants who might have started exactly at the same point and wound up at the same destination, and valuing one over the other based on who is the color we like, and who is not.

The status quo is basically the dictionary definition of racist. There are some people who have advantages in life leading up to the college admissions process that is in large part due to their race. You are saying that we should ignore these advantages, which systematically helps some races over others. This is racism.

I'm saying that prejudging people based on their race is racism.

Uhmm, we literally do that every day, including numerous individual injustices on black people, particularly black students. It's actually what you're advocating for here.

Negative. I'm advocating that blacks and every other race be considered for university admissions without regard for skin color.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Affirmative action is supposed to speed up diversity and equality by tipping the scales in favor of those that were banished from equal protection in society for centuries. It was never meant to be a long term solution.

While completely merit based admissions is the dream some day, right now completely merit-based would favor those that are already in power. On the surface it does seem wrong to allow race-based admissions, but we must consider the enormous disadvantages that those that were subjugated for centuries still endure today.

It certainly isn't a ideal solution and I hope some day equality will be so pervasive that these policies are no longer needed. FWIW, they are a "last resort" for colleges.
Well said. I too dislike the notion of diversity as an end unto itself, but if one isn't getting a reasonable cross-section of society succeeding, it seems reasonable to assume that there are systemic factors which need to be redressed. Your comments cover that admirably.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
The readers can read exactly what you wrote and they can see exactly what I wrote and unless English isn't their first language I'm confident they will join me in laughing at you.

Yes, they can read what I wrote "I know a thing or two" and what you wrote "he knows all about this minority stuff".

Facts are facts. Keep say things out loud, child.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

I gotta admit you have set up a pretty sweet gig putting yourself at the center of minority achievement either way. When a minority does poorly, you get to be the one bringing enlightenment about how they were screwed over by other whites and absolving them of responsibility. And if they succeed it's because you as the Noble White Man® were there to offer the helping hand of affirmative action.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
You'd think people wouldn't complain, but buckshot sure did a few weeks ago when we discussed this. My comment about Irish was only a joke, hence the smilie. I don't really care what race you are, from your words it sounded like you needed more diversity in your day to day life. A lot of your questions would be answered by being among different people from different backgrounds and discussing issues with them.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=38273061&postcount=339

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=38280945&postcount=375

Right here on this forum I had a discussion with him about groups catering to specific ethnic groups. Some people feel this is racist, which is dumb.

I brought it up not to argue over, but to say the fight against any specific help based on race extends even to these private groups trying to help minorities integrate. Its a strange mindset to me. I did not mean it as an attack on your post, but a sarcastic sigh at how far some go to try to deny the need for race-based help (again not directed at your post).
My issue was the exclusion of other races not really with a group catering to certain races in general.