SC upholds UT Affirmative Action.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Oh shit he's a minority folks! That means he knows all about this minority stuff! And there is no way he can be racist.

/S

Adults are debating here, no name callings allowed. That's how we roll. Of course, you would not listen anyway.

Oh, where did I say I know all about this minority stuff as you claim? Open mouth, insert foot, child.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Oh shit he's a minority folks! That means he knows all about this minority stuff! And there is no way he can be racist.

/S
Why don't you ban yourself? Completely useless and dishonest of you to say this. He didn't bring his ethnicity up to prove his points it was suggested he get involved with minorities to understand their perspective so he brought it up. Do you walk around with this level of hatred and venom in your everyday life?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Why don't you ban yourself? Completely useless and dishonest of you to say this. He didn't bring his ethnicity up to prove his points it was suggested he get involved with minorities to understand their perspective so he brought it up. Do you walk around with this level of hatred and venom in your everyday life?

Does being a minority mean you have the same perspective of other minorities? No it doesn't and you know this but you can't help but buckshat another thread.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I am talking about ethic based help as in school/academic related help as it was cited in the article .

What's funny is that gets backlash too. Black only student groups??? Racist! :D There isn't one policy to rule them all. Many private and public advocacy groups and policies come together to help previously oppressed groups rise up into society. Having access to one shouldn't be a reason to eliminate another.

Pssssst.. I AM a minority so I know a thing or two about being disadvantaged, poor, and all the bad horrible stuffs in life. :)

Is Irish still considered a minority? :D JKing

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Does being a minority mean you have the same perspective of other minorities? No it doesn't and you know this but you can't help but buckshat another thread.

Was wondering when buckshot would swoop in and sling crap around.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Was wondering when buckshot would swoop in and sling crap around.
If accurate and fair is crap then guilty as charged. Funny you're siding with shane and talking about flinging crap around.

He didn't post that he was a minority to garner authority on the subject as shane dishonestly implied.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Silly minority is too dumb to know how you're helping him to get smart in college where he'll learn to keep his opinion to himself when talking to his betters such as you.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Why is prejudice wrong? I don't know. Why does 2+2=4?

I don't understand what you mean.

No, why is it wrong to draw conclusions based on race? Are you arguing that the average black student is not worse off than the average white student? If not, why do you think we should ignore this fact when considering how fit an applicant might be?

If you start at the 50 yard line and I start at the 10 yard line and you cross the goal line 1 yard in front of me should we ignore that I actually ran an extra 40 yards in the same time?

Any attempt? C'mon - baloney. There are plenty of good ways to combat racism, one of which is to give all races the impression that laws, policies, and institutions generally look upon them without prejudice.

The status quo isn't racist. Looking at college applications without regard for race is the exact opposite of racist.

The status quo is basically the dictionary definition of racist. There are some people who have advantages in life leading up to the college admissions process that is in large part due to their race. You are saying that we should ignore these advantages, which systematically helps some races over others. This is racism.

I'm not ignoring them. I don't think most reasonable people ignore them. But you don't commit individual injustices in the name of collective justice.

Uhmm, we literally do that every day, including numerous individual injustices on black people, particularly black students. It's actually what you're advocating for here.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If accurate and fair is crap then guilty as charged. Funny you're siding with shane and talking about flinging crap around.

He didn't post that he was a minority to garner authority on the subject as shane dishonestly implied.

Actually that's exactly why he did. He was told to volunteer and work with people outside of his community to get some perspective and svnla's response was he didn't need to do that because he himself is a minority. But you knew this already.

Take your buckshatting somewhere else.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
What's funny is that gets backlash too. Black only student groups??? Racist! :D There isn't one policy to rule them all. Many private and public advocacy groups and policies come together to help previously oppressed groups rise up into society. Having access to one shouldn't be a reason to eliminate another.

Is Irish still considered a minority? :D JKing

I don't think anyone would complain if a group is helping others in the same group with academic issues/problems. People complain about folks having meetings in PUBLIC place that EXCLUDE others that are not in the same group. Feel free to provide a link or two that people complain about black or hispanic group helping other blacks/hispanics with academic problems (as in the article) as racist.

You don't have to take my words for it. A few AT members met me in person and they can attest to my statement if it was true or not.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Silly minority is too dumb to know how you're helping him to get smart in college where he'll learn to keep his opinion to himself when talking to his betters such as you.

Nope, he's just an idiot.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
They should judge his arguments based on his race instead of their merits to be consistent.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Actually that's exactly why he did. He was told to volunteer and work with people outside of his community to get some perspective and svnla's response was he didn't need to do that because he himself is a minority. But you knew this already.

Take your buckshatting somewhere else.

Still no answer to this statement that you claimed about me? Here it is again.

What is the matter? No name calling/insults this time? Show everyone your true color, child.

Who is the idiot again as you have a habit of saying so many times? :D

Last edited:

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
They should judge his arguments based on his race instead of their merits to be consistent.

We need to know which minority he is first to determine how much more/less consideration to add (or subtract as the case may be)

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Still no answer to this statement that you claimed about me? Here it is again.

What is the matter? No name calling/insults this time? Show everyone your true color, child.

Who is the idiot again as you have a habit of saying so many times? :D

Whoosh!!

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
We need to know which minority he is first to determine how much more/less consideration to add (or subtract as the case may be)
Right, Svnla we need to know your heritage so we can accurately determine how good your arguments are. You're either full of it or spot on and anywhere in between. Very confusing without this vital information.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I am talking about ethic based help as in school/academic related help as it was cited in the article .

Pssssst.. I AM a minority so I know a thing or two about being disadvantaged, poor, and all the bad horrible stuffs in life. :)

He is right that reading some basic history on the matter would help you.

After desegregation it was really obvious that minorities with blacks in particular have been a permanent underclass, that would take many generations to reach any sort of equal social status if ever. Therefore it would take *affirmative* action to rectify this. If it helps, think of it as relatively cheap reparations.

The situation with asians or such is different since the most successful lot are recent migrants with selective immigrant mentality & above average skillsets, even if they arrived "poor".

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
He is right that reading some basic history on the matter would help you.

After desegregation it was really obvious that minorities with blacks in particular have been a permanent underclass, that would take many generations to reach any sort of equal social status if ever. Therefore it would take *affirmative* action to rectify this. If it helps, think of it as relatively cheap reparations.

The situation with asians or such is different since the most successful lot are recent migrants with selective immigrant mentality & above average skillsets, even if they arrived "poor".
This might be the alt of Disrespectful of Indigenous People Of the North.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Right, Svnla we need to know your heritage so we can accurately determine how good your arguments are. You're either full of it or spot on and anywhere in between. Very confusing without this vital information.

It would help if ivwshane provided the latest version of the Official Hierarchy of Brown People. Hard to keep up with which of the "ethnics" is in vogue this year.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

Nothing but diversion? Another case of ivwshane is lying with his pants down. What else is new. What's that old saying? Something about better keep your mouth shut and let others think you are a moron than speak up out loud and remove all doubts.

Keep talking out loud, child. :D

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
This might be the alt of Disrespectful of Indigenous People Of the North.

You must mean Inuits, otherwise known as "+2 flaming sword of preference from white guys". It's a shame because it might have been +5 critical hit otherwise if only there were more Eskimo restaurants that progressives could visit to get their ethnic food cravings satisfied.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

Marvin the green Martian is my long lost cousin. :sneaky:

Let just say I am a minority enough to know what it is like to be a minority in the US.

Anyway, the article is NOT about me or my ethic. The article is about AA.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It would help if ivwshane provided the latest version of the Official Hierarchy of Brown People. Hard to keep up with which of the "ethnics" is in vogue this year.

Why would I need to do that? Is it because you are trying to make this about something I didn't say?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Marvin the green Martian is my long lost cousin. :sneaky:

Let just say I am a minority enough to know what it is like to be a minority in the US.
uncle280.jpg~c200

This is how shane sees you.