Saudi Arabia captures, tortures and dismembers critic of Muhammad bin Salman

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Congress has yet to approve the most recent packages of sales and is looking like it may well not, especially if Trump is still all "meh, didn't happen here so don't care" and fails to take any meaningful action.

The Saudis are some of the worst actors you can find and how we've ended up so deeply in bed with them (even more so now) should merit some scrutiny.

IMO it should result is some criminality how in bed we are with that regime. I will be shocked if at the end of day congress doesnt authorize that arms deal. Jerbs and lobby money is too much for them to care about dismembering members of the press.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
IMO it should result is some criminality how in bed we are with that regime. I will be shocked if at the end of day congress doesnt authorize that arms deal. Jerbs and lobby money is too much for them to care about dismembering members of the press.

There just isn't a huge constituency for arms deals and if public opinion shifts against it and the Saudis in general it's certainly possible it doesn't get passed. This incident seems to be shifting opinions in ways that far worse things they're doing (Yemen) has not yet. It's more specific and comprehensible if no less horrifying.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
So Trump just got off the phone with the King who denied any involvement. Case closed. Trump now suggesting it's rogue killers.... when does the public firing squad convene...

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I must be missing something here. The link provided says

Why missing Saudi journalist’s Apple Watch is an interesting, but unlikely, lead

not he recorded his own murder using his Apple watch and had it uploaded to his iphone.

As I watched this fact was reported on CNN and I googled to find something in writing that would be analogous and this is all I could find. I probably should've just paraphrased the CNN report and quoted nothing.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
So Trump just got off the phone with the King who denied any involvement. Case closed. Trump now suggesting it's rogue killers.... when does the public firing squad convene...
He believes Putin, so why not MBS. His son in-law Jared and MBS are BFF's.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
He believes Putin, so why not MBS. His son in-law Jared and MBS are BFF's.
Putin, MBS, Roy Moore, Rob Porter, Brett Kavanaugh--Trump has a nose for sniffing out men who've been wrongly accused and smeared by Leftist Media. #believethemen

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Could have been a wild chicken loose in the consolate too. Holy shit he's a moron. If he left it alive there would be evidence. Have video he went in..

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Looks like under mounting pressure the Saudis are going to cop to killing him by saying that he died accidnetally during interrogation. Curious what part of the planned interrogation required them to bring a bone saw and a forensic expert.

Also kind of a tough spot since they spent a week telling everybody they didn't do anything and issuing threats.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Looks like under mounting pressure the Saudis are going to cop to killing him by saying that he died accidnetally during interrogation. Curious what part of the planned interrogation required them to bring a bone saw and a forensic expert.

Also kind of a tough spot since they spent a week telling everybody they didn't do anything and issuing threats.
I'm sure they had justification. Trump will understand.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Not gonna lie, when I first heard this story I thought "there is no way this could possibly happen in today's society". I stand corrected.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
the sad thing is not only did they assassinate him, I assume the story will quickly turn to demonizing him by tieing him to some terrorist cell (as in the story Kushner circulated). The Saudis will paint themselves as heroes here stopping some mass terrorist plot.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Ugh, can we just pay off Trump to shut the hell up! Rogue killers my ass.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/middleeast/saudi-khashoggi-death-turkey/index.html

The only reason they would "admit" to this (I put that in quotes because they are acting like killing him during a brutal interrogation is accidental) is they must know the US has received the audio and video from MIT and somebody (probably turkish authorities) are threatening to release it as proof.

I'm sure there will be lots of equivocating by Trump and his allies and much whattaboutism involving the "real" bad guys, Iran. In the end I think it is unlikely that Saudi Arabia itself is punished. Most likely they will find some member of the family to blame for this and the US will sanction that single Saudi family member. Probably they will pick somebody already dead or in prison, of which there are many since MBS purged hundreds of them.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That happens sometimes when they turn up the voltage too high on those wires attached to the nutsack...

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/middleeast/saudi-khashoggi-death-turkey/index.html

The only reason they would "admit" to this (I put that in quotes because they are acting like killing him during a brutal interrogation is accidental) is they must know the US has received the audio and video from MIT and somebody (probably turkish authorities) are threatening to release it as proof.

I'm sure there will be lots of equivocating by Trump and his allies and much whattaboutism involving the "real" bad guys, Iran. In the end I think it is unlikely that Saudi Arabia itself is punished. Most likely they will find some member of the family to blame for this and the US will sanction that single Saudi family member. Probably they will pick somebody already dead or in prison, of which there are many since MBS purged hundreds of them.

I suspect they will add several falsehoods to their "admission" - like claiming Kahshoggi was guilty of some kind of made up crime. How else will they justify torturing him to begin with?

And yes, they'll probably provide a scapegoat, and they'll get away with it whether they do or not.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Saudis may be ready to admit botched interrogation of Khashoggi leading to his death. Meanwhile, Turkish investigators had earlier entered the Saudi consulate to begin investigation.
However...

"A cleaning crew walked into the consulate hours ahead of the investigative team’s arrival..."
https://www.apnews.com/77730760c31c483082d46463d7a98138

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Saudis may be ready to admit botched interrogation of Khashoggi leading to his death. Meanwhile, Turkish investigators had earlier entered the Saudi consulate to begin investigation.
However...

"A cleaning crew walked into the consulate hours ahead of the investigative team’s arrival..."

I'm going to bet Trump buys this 'rogue operatives' bullshit hook, line and sinker. Actually he probably just doesn't care because of his business interests with the Saudis. Murdering a journalist is probably a bonus for him to, considering his disdain of journalists.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Just to be clear: Donald Trump wants to make sure that US weapons sales to Saudi Arabia remain unimpeded so that Saudi Arabia can continue its attacks on Houthi rebels who are trying to overthrow the government of Yemen, a government that supports the terrorists that attacked the USS Cole, killing 17 American sailors.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
However...

Following Putin's Way to a T almost. If he can, why can't MBS?

It might be about time for the world to develop some anti-Sa'ud hysteria.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm going to bet Trump buys this 'rogue operatives' bullshit hook, line and sinker. Actually he probably just doesn't care because of his business interests with the Saudis. Murdering a journalist is probably a bonus for him to, considering his disdain of journalists.
Whatever bullshit works so that he can let the house of Saud of easy.