Saudi Arabia captures, tortures and dismembers critic of Muhammad bin Salman

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Trump's response is that it's not likely we'll have good news but no matter as we need to sell 110 billion worth of arms so that China or Russia doesn't get the money. That is what's not acceptable. He's not denying anything at the moment, he doesn't give a shit about it other than the money.
This is seriously interfering with all Trump's and Jared's deals. Stop it!

Nov 25, 2013
So what do you guys think will happen here? My guess is a lot of talk and not much action. If the US was going to sanction Saudi Arabia for its absurd actions on the world stage they would've done it back in 2001 when 9/11 happened. Or maybe any of the numerous times Saudi has been caught bombing weddings, hospitals and school busses in Yemen.

1 dead WaPo journalist does not equal 20 dead Yemeni children or 3000 dead Americans. So what is Lindsey Graham even talking about? He isn't going to sanction anybody.

It's like US politicians know that average American's attention span is so short that they won't even remember all the promises they make about holding this country or that "accountable".

I wish Saudi Arabia would be sanctioned and I wish the US relationship with the entire GCC would end. They are a bad influence on both our politics and regional politics in the ME. They are also a brutal dictatorship (unlike Iran) and make us look like hypocrites for supporting them while trying to overthrow Assad and others. But I realize none of this will ever happen.

But didn't they just have a coup?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Well he certainly seems to have screwed up to say the least. In light of the fact there is video and audio evidence sanctions should be imposed and the arms sale cancelled.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
The Saudis and Israelis have realized that under this president (due to his complete inability to ever admit doing anything wrong or making any mistakes) they may act with impunity because Trump will never admit they did anything wrong. He has been on TV pretending he doesn't know where this Saudi journalist went like he's MBS.

US president is literally Saudi propaganda, lmao

Jan 25, 2011
This really does highlight one of the main concerns with Trump and his lack of disclosure on his business ties. It's hard to be confident on whose interests he is really protecting here.

It's the same with Russia. His sons are on record saying they get shitloads of money from Russia but he denies he has received any. Meanwhile he will never say anything negative about Russia in the way he has, well, the rest of the world and the strongest allies of the U.S.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
This really does highlight one of the main concerns with Trump and his lack of disclosure on his business ties. It's hard to be confident on whose interests he is really protecting here.

It's the same with Russia. His sons are on record saying they get shitloads of money from Russia but he denies he has received any. Meanwhile he will never say anything negative about Russia in the way he has, well, the rest of the world and the strongest allies of the U.S.

Russia, Israel and Saudi Arabia - So many good people on so many sides!

Jan 25, 2011
Meanwhile Jr. is promoting smear campaigns against the journalist.

Screenshot-541.png

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Trump will do nothing about this. Saudia Arabia has him in their back pocket.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/i-l...ng-standing-business-ties-with-saudis-1930792

"Saudi Arabia, I get along with all of them. They buy apartments from me. They spend $40 million, $50 million," Trump told a crowd at an Alabama campaign rally in 2015. "Am I supposed to dislike them? I like them very much."
Tells you everything we need to know about this President.

Queue up the excuses from Trump supporters

Uranium One
Hillary's emails
Clinton foundation

Anyone miss the days when we had a real President like Obama?

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Kashoggi recorded his own murder using his Apple watch. He had it upload to his iphone, which was with his wife. Apple is such an amazing company! Solving international assassinations with technology!

One more reason why anybody who loves technology chooses Apple over the myriad of plebdroid options.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/11/missing-saudi-journalist-jamal-khashoggi-apple-watch/
Unfortunately its unlikely data could sync with outside once he entered.

However more circumstantial evidence. It would have been syncing until he entered. SA claims he left but bet there isn't any data syncing reflecting that.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
can't we put pressure on the saudis thru the iranians since they're becoming friendlier now? ...oh dammit

Nov 8, 2012
Basically a matter of time at this point before the Arabs and Russians start offing people on US soil who are inconvenient for them.

This, like Russia’s, actions demand consequences be imposed.

Oh you mean like in Europe where Russia is killing people off?

Europe is making tons of harsh consequences to Russia.... like... building a dedicated gas pipeline. OH BURRRRN! Those Russians are gonna learn their fucking lesson amirite?

People love to say "We should do something" but when someone questions them with "Well, what do you expect for us to do?" the only reply ever is "I dunno lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Summon the Saudi ambassador to the WH and freeze arms sales until a satisfactory explanation is given. Pull back support for their operations in Yemen. Sanction all individuals suspected and prevent their travel to the US and allied nations. Conduct the Magnitsky investigation and sanction senior Saudi officials if their culpability is credible.

Ah, gotcha, so saw off our own foot in an effort to demand actions. Makes sense. I mean, even Trump's answer to your point is logical - you act as if they are going to go "OH WE SO SOWWY! We admit we made a mistake!" Keep dreaming guys, believe it or not, but we aren't the only ones that can manufacture arms. But... go ahead and support Russia more?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
The sooner we divest ourselves from the M.E. ,the better. We still have time to focus our resources on developing fossil fuel alternatives and removing our dependency on oil. Take away their oil money and see how fast they crumble.

And what do you think will come in its place? Education and democracy? lol I have a bridge to sell you.

The middle east is a shithole - no doubt. But the answer isn't simply to leave and assume that they will magically get rid of their religion extremists issues. Contrary to popular liberal stupidity belief, it's not "Just a few bad apples".

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
What this incident shows, which is truly amazing, is how totally retarded the Saudis clearly are. Luring a journalist into your own embassy in a country that is notorious for spying on everything and everyone and with which you have poor relations is about the stupidest intelligence operation I've ever seen pulled on the world stage. He could've easily had this dude assassinated in a place where there isn't a 100% chance that the event would be surveilled by MIT. He has jeopardized his country's relationship with all its allies and caused a massive flight in business interest in his whole nation. He also gave Erdogan a huge win and a way to repair relations with the west and the US. The turkish Lira is rallying and Saudi Arabia looks totally incompetent and crazy (which it is).

All to kill a journalist who isn't even that bad of a critic. The stuff he said about MBS is pretty tame. MBS is certainly the most incompetent leader of any Middle Eastern nation. What a retard.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
And what do you think will come in its place? Education and democracy? lol I have a bridge to sell you.

The middle east is a shithole - no doubt. But the answer isn't simply to leave and assume that they will magically get rid of their religion extremists issues. Contrary to popular liberal stupidity belief, it's not "Just a few bad apples".
Actually your boy said Africa is the real shithole.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
And to bring another member of the Trump Cabinet into this, we have the head of Small Business Administration Linda McMahon. She and her husband own the WWE, a worldwide "wrestling" promotion.

They're about to have (in a couple of weeks) a huge PPV in SA which will generate 40-50 mil in revenue for them, more than any PPV they put on here in the US. They've already had one there earlier this year and I wonder if they'll cancel this one, but if they do it'll open them up to possibly getting sued by SA.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
And to bring another member of the Trump Cabinet into this, we have the head of Small Business Administration Linda McMahon. She and her husband own the WWE, a worldwide "wrestling" promotion.

They're about to have (in a couple of weeks) a huge PPV in SA which will generate 40-50 mil in revenue for them, more than any PPV they put on here in the US. They've already had one there earlier this year and I wonder if they'll cancel this one, but if they do it'll open them up to possibly getting sued by SA.
They won't cancel, too much money for them.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

You fail to realize that if Donald Trump and Kushner helped make MBS, and helped him with his power moves against family to secure his position, they can break him too. Don't think for a second that the House of Saud isn't going to name a new Crown Prince (or even spill their own blood if it comes to it) in order to ensure US backing and their long term survival.

Nov 8, 2012
You fail to realize that if Donald Trump and Kushner helped make MBS, and helped him with his power moves against family to secure his position, they can break him too. Don't think for a second that the House of Saud isn't going to name a new Crown Prince (or even spill their own blood if it comes to it) in order to ensure US backing and their long term survival.

Wut? Please justify why you think Saudi Arabia is so dependent upon the US? For anything we don't buy from Saudi's, someone else will buy it (oil). For everything Saudi's do buy they can buy it elsewhere.

Not to mention if we do attempt a conflict with them, you just risk more separation from the western world and they are more likely to be welcomed from the likes of Russia and China.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Wut? Please justify why you think Saudi Arabia is so dependent upon the US? For anything we don't buy from Saudi's, someone else will buy it (oil). For everything Saudi's do buy they can buy it elsewhere.

Not to mention if we do attempt a conflict with them, you just risk more separation from the western world and they are more likely to be welcomed from the likes of Russia and China.

I said MBS specifically--not Saudi Arabia as a nation-state. MBS is dependent on the US for legitimacy. My point was that Trump has more power here than you think. You think MBS would've locked up half his family without the blessing of the Administration?

Reactions: DarthKyrie