Samsung Galaxy S6 hype thread

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah, I thought the Edge looked nice but after gripping it in a store, I find it very uncomfortable.

Looks like I'll either get the Active (assuming the rumours are correct) or the Note 5 to upgrade my GS4.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
He's not a "paid plant", he's a Dari except replace the praise part "Sony" with "Samsung" and the hate part "Samsung" with "Apple".

Nah, not I. I love SONY but I have been critical of them here many times. It's just that I grew up with SONY in the '80s and '90s so they are my default choice when it comes to consumer electronics. But I'm no fool. I buy the best product at the best price. I have an LG phone and plasma and a Samsung tablet. I may even get the Note 5 since I have not seen any >5.5" phone that interests me this year (have any been announced???) if they de-bloat it and up the quality of their OLEDs. Samsung has many paid posters here (I suspect) and, given how they treat their business customers and suppliers up and down their food chain, I wouldn't put anything past them.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

In fairness, HTC's M9 is a huge disappointment. The battery life and the screen quality are worse than the M8, while the camera is not up to par compared to current flagships.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Came...-vs-HTC-One-M9-Galaxy-Note-4-iPhone-6_id68710

Speaking of S6, some users in this thread kept insisting that 1440P screen kills battery life and that Sammy's 14nm node is marketing gimmick, but Exynos 7420 with a 2550 mAH provides superior battery life than LG's G4 808 with 3000 mAH. Plus you still get quick charging that LG G4 doesn't have.
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/LG-G4-Review_id3995/page/4

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
To me, the lack of a microSD slot is easier to swallow because of the UFS storage. You're paying more than you would if you just got a card, but you're also getting a faster, contiguous space that's easier to manage. That and streaming reduces the need for gobs of internal storage in the first place... 32GB probably covers a lot of people.

That is what I thought. I thought the loss of removable battery is bigger deal than the loss of SD card slot. But I read many comments which reflects the opposite view. :confused:

deputc26

Nov 7, 2008
That is what I thought. I thought the loss of removable battery is bigger deal than the loss of SD card slot. But I read many comments which reflects the opposite view. :confused:

Definitely with you, 32gb and cloud storage means the battery is a much bigger deal.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
In fairness, HTC's M9 is a huge disappointment. The battery life and the screen quality are worse than the M8, while the camera is not up to par compared to current flagships.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Came...-vs-HTC-One-M9-Galaxy-Note-4-iPhone-6_id68710

Speaking of S6, some users in this thread kept insisting that 1440P screen kills battery life and that Sammy's 14nm node is marketing gimmick, but Exynos 7420 with a 2550 mAH provides superior battery life than LG's G4 808 with 3000 mAH. Plus you still get quick charging that LG G4 doesn't have.
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/LG-G4-Review_id3995/page/4

In all fairness, I don't care if LG's phone was dog crap wrapped in slimy plastic, what Samsung did and does is illegal, and unethical.

Like I said, proven and convicted. Equivocate away, but it's wrong and evidently a core component of Samsung corporate culture. I could post 50 links to crap Samsung has pulled, from stranding bloggers in foreign countries to gaming benchmarks scores to padding sales numbers to having paid actors pretending to be users.

That being said, I still buy Samsung products, but with this last iteration no mSD card or replaceable battery, I'm done.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
In all fairness, I don't care if LG's phone was dog crap wrapped in slimy plastic, what Samsung did and does is illegal, and unethical.

Like I said, proven and convicted. Equivocate away, but it's wrong and evidently a core component of Samsung corporate culture. I could post 50 links to crap Samsung has pulled, from stranding bloggers in foreign countries to gaming benchmarks scores to padding sales numbers to having paid actors pretending to be users.

That being said, I still buy Samsung products, but with this last iteration no mSD card or replaceable battery, I'm done.

Certainly your prerogative, though you've already shared this multiple times in this thread. Me? I'll buy the best product at any given time with my money.

I recall stories of LG gaming performance benches and destroying competitor displays. I think HTC still games benches today, long after Samsung has stopped and has also paid bloggers in the past.

Big Lar

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Just a side note here as I notice folks are down on the HTC One M9, I have 1, got it 2 days after release. Battery lasts all day, shut it off every night around 11 at night with at least 33% battery left and have never felt the phone get hot. Seems to be 0 throttle problems to date as well. Maybe I just got an updated one.

Achtung!

Mar 10, 2015
Just a side note here as I notice folks are down on the HTC One M9, I have 1, got it 2 days after release. Battery lasts all day, shut it off every night around 11 at night with at least 33% battery left and have never felt the phone get hot. Seems to be 0 throttle problems to date as well. Maybe I just got an updated one.

This is the reason why you think your battery is good. In reality, the battery life on the HTC One M9 is worse than the iPhone 6/Galaxy S6.

The HTC One M9 hasn't been updated. You're most likely a light/moderate-light user.

Anyway the camera on the M9 is terrible, so no way would I be recommending that phone to anyone. And based on reports from the tech news sites such as BGR and GSM Arena, HTC's phone sales actually dipped in April compared to March, which means that the M9 is not selling at all.

Last edited:

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Certainly your prerogative, though you've already shared this multiple times in this thread. Me? I'll buy the best product at any given time with my money.

I recall stories of LG gaming performance benches and destroying competitor displays. I think HTC still games benches today, long after Samsung has stopped and has also paid bloggers in the past.

Russian Sensation had posted he didn't think Samsung astroturfed, I posted a link showing they did and that the courts convicted them, then he equivocated the evidence. I don't want to be a broken record, but I can't let obvious stuff like that stand.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Upgraded from S4 4G+. Might not have been necessary since the S4+ has S5 level hardware, but I got a really good deal, 20% off current market price.

Performance is sweet, its very responsive and I really notice the increased storage speed. Love the camera.

I have a few annoyances that disappoint me though:
- I really miss the "settings" capacitive button. No idea why they would replace it with the task switcher which was available through holding the home button anyway. It's a real PITA that you have to go look for "settings" on each screen now. I miss this way more than I'd thought.
- Alarm widget can't set for the whole week with an easy overview of each day. No, you have to go into a calender and set for each day one at the time. It's a complicated mess. WTF were they thinking?
- "Private tab" requires more clicks in the default browser compared to S4. No good reason for that change either.
- No flashlight widget.

Last edited:

Achtung!

Mar 10, 2015
Upgraded from S4 4G+. Might not have been necessary since the S4+ has S5 level hardware, but I got a really good deal, 20% off current market price.

Performance is sweet, its very responsive and I really notice the increased storage speed. Love the camera.

100% agree with what you said here.

I have a few annoyances that disappoint me though:
- I really miss the "settings" capacitive button. No idea why they would replace it with the task switcher which was available through holding the home button anyway. It's a real PITA that you have to go look for "settings" on each screen now. I miss this way more than I'd thought.

I thought the same but you'll get used to it in a couple of weeks.

- Alarm widget can't set for the whole week with an easy overview of each day. No, you have to go into a calender and set for each day one at the time. It's a complicated mess. WTF were they thinking?

I always used to check my alarms, so the change didn't bother me. Most people use apps for the alarm these days.

- "Private tab" requires more clicks in the default browser compared to S4. No good reason for that change either.

Meh.

- No flashlight widget.
You do get a flashlight toggle though.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
After playing with my mom's Edge over the weekend (mother's day..) I am more positive about the Edge now. With a case on, I think the sharp edges are something I can get used to. It looks like my mom is lucked out and got a nearly perfect sample. Her phone gets brighter than other Edges I saw at Bestbuy when manually controlled, screen is uniform as far as I can tell, and there was no inexplicable battery drain when I played with it. I used it for about 4 hours and battery drop was like 10~12% per hour, which is better than I expected even though it was under Wi-Fi. And as long as the phone is not facing a direct light source, glare around the curved glass was negligible.

So now I am having a second thought. I've also learned that versions "F" and "I" (920F/925F, 920I/925I) work fine with AT&T and T-Mobile's LTE. The situation looks to be way better than the Note 4's, if you want to avoid a carrier-branded S6/Edge.

Is the green Edge still MIA?

A.t

May 11, 2015

What I hate the most about the S6 is the launch of the G4 and the reduced screen size over my old Note 4. There are of course some other things such as the glass back which I fixed with the Samsung protective back plastic cover, which looks, feels and is pretty much cheap as hell but does the job.

If Thule did a Gauntlet cover for the S6 though it would have been solid. As for that phone, I'd be for it but hopefully they don't water down the specs like they did with the S4 Active.

All things aside, the S6 is by no means a bad phone. It is a very good phone if what you want is an iPhone 6 like, compact phone. But it's not the phone for you if you want a phone-tablet like the Note 4.

G4 looks to be a winner. I just hope it's not slow performing like G3, I toyed with it a bit on some store today but wasn't giving too much attention.

Achtung!

Mar 10, 2015
What I hate the most about the S6 is the launch of the G4 and the reduced screen size over my old Note 4. There are of course some other things such as the glass back which I fixed with the Samsung protective back plastic cover, which looks, feels and is pretty much cheap as hell but does the job.

If Thule did a Gauntlet cover for the S6 though it would have been solid. As for that phone, I'd be for it but hopefully they don't water down the specs like they did with the S4 Active.

All things aside, the S6 is by no means a bad phone. It is a very good phone if what you want is an iPhone 6 like, compact phone. But it's not the phone for you if you want a phone-tablet like the Note 4.

G4 looks to be a winner. I just hope it's not slow performing like G3, I toyed with it a bit on some store today but wasn't giving too much attention.

The Galaxy S6 is the best phone out right now, period.

The next competitor will be the iPhone 6s coming out this September. However I doubt that the iPhone 6s will catch up in terms of technological level.

Apple is always 1-2 years technologically behind. Don't let the smooth iOS fool you, the transitions are smooth, but iPhones are full of lag.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

The next competitor will be the iPhone 6s coming out this September. However I doubt that the iPhone 6s will catch up in terms of technological level.

Apple is always 1-2 years technologically behind. Don't let the smooth iOS fool you, the transitions are smooth, but iPhones are full of lag.

Looking at things like number of CPU cores and total RAM capacity, maybe. Apple's processors are always state-of-the-art when they are released, winning many / most performance benchmarks (fairly, I might add). Being first to 64-bit caught the competitors like Qualcomm completely off-guard (and they even said so publicly).

That said, the main performance limiting factor of current iPhones is the 1GB RAM...which is just awful. The iPhone 5c actually runs much better than the 5s/6/6s because it has more usable RAM with no 64-bit API resources coexisting in memory. I'm hoping they triple RAM in the next iOS. If it will save money and still offer acceptable performance, Apple will probably just double the RAM. It's long overdue.

Mar 11, 2004

Wait, you're complaining that the S6 is smaller than the Note? Just wait for the Note 5 then, it will likely offer all the benefits of the S6, plus probably a bit more, and it might also include features that some people are missing on the S6.

Obviously if you want a "phablet" the S line isn't for you, I don't know why you'd even be positing that opinion as it obviously was not for you and there was zero reason to expect the S6 would change that as Samsung has obviously positioned the two lines largely around the screen size. It's like complaining that the Corvette Stingray doesn't have as much room inside as a 4 door sedan. If you need the size of the sedan there was no reason for you to even think about the Corvette and there was no reason for you to be disappointed by that.

Mar 11, 2004

And posts like this are exactly why you're called a Samsung shill. Is that why Apple had a better fingerpring sensor years before Samsung? Is that why Apple's SoCs still actually compete quite well? Is that why Apple's camera is still competitive despite having a sensor with half the resolution?

"Guys, don't let the smoothness fool you it's totally slow actually!" Do you listen to yourself? That's kinda the point is that Apple's closed device setup enables them to take better advantage of their hardware, they don't even have to keep pushing to the max.

Oh, and what about this?
http://superpowered.com/androidaudiopathlatency/#axzz3XTduabxD

This was similar to the touch responsiveness (which I notice basically no one seems to care about now, but it was constantly brought up a few years back as something Apple absolutely did better, then Android improved and in some instances bettered but now it seems just about all devices are good enough that no one seems to care).

Fact is neither Apple nor any Android phone is perfect and considering they're constantly evolving there simply won't be one that ever is as there will always be some new improved aspect coming. The S6 is a great phone, definitely arguably the best Android and best smartphone bar none out right now, but acting like this entire market isn't constantly shifting and Apple will never catch up is the silliest thing I've read in quite some time, yet you've constantly acted like Samsung is 10 years ahead of everybody with the S6 and it's been tiring and at times even outright misleading from the start of you posting here. You also seem to completely miss that the only reason Samsung is making devices as good as they are is due to Apple pushing them. I hope Samsung pushes Apple as well, competition makes better devices for all of us.