Samsung Galaxy S6 hype thread

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9211/a-quick-look-at-one-m9-raw-photos

I have to say in low light - the S6 isn't the most accurate but IMO is clearly the best for the 'social' generation (FB, Instagram, etc). The brightness and detail are pretty impressive.

It's a tough call... the GS6 produces a brighter shot, but it's also destroying details. It makes cropping harder, because you're going to notice the loss of detail if you're not careful. Kinda curious as to what Apple could do if it had a brighter lens.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
My wife upgraded to the Galaxy S6 a few weeks ago. I've played around with it a bit and like it very much. She's still getting used to it though.

It is fast and the voice recognition works well. Screen is gorgeous.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
My mom got one (Edge) and she seems to like it so far. She upgraded from the S4. I still haven't had a quality time with either the S6 or the Edge yet, but I will soon have a chance. My dad is debating between the S6 and the Note 4. I am leaning toward finding him a non-carrier version Note 4 because he has been wanting a phablet for some time.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
He threadjacked a post I made about my first hand experiences with the s6 (I like it, the battery life could be better) - his passion made it pretty obvious that he was either paid by samsung or a basement dweller. Which makes you wonder - not only is it pretty despicable that samsungs market efforts include misinformation, but that they're hiring the dumbest, most socially hostile people possible. I'm keeping my s6 but I"ve seen enough b.s. from samsung (from multiple users) that I'm no longer a customer. And I've spend over $2,000 in samsung gear this year so far, no more! Should have bought an lg tv and just kept the iphone

Is there proof that some of these users are paid viral marketers though? Sometimes, you find a lot of irrational fans of a certain brand online. For example, the OP of this thread was accused of being a Samsung employee, but it's very unlikely that a paid Samsung viral marketer would be allowed to hype up the competitor's product, or say any positive about it.

Last edited:

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Is there proof that some of these users are paid viral marketers though? Sometimes, you find a lot of irrational fans of a certain brand online. For example, the OP of this thread was accused of being a Samsung employee, but it's very unlikely that a paid Samsung viral marketer would be allowed to hype up the competitor's product, or say positive things about it.

Also when its done in such a heavy handed way, it does nothing but hurt a brand. See our own couple wonderful examples.

You'd expect a company to hire folks with a little more subtlety and intelligence. Unless their job was to undermine their own company...in which case, mission accomplished.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Also when its done in such a heavy handed way, it does nothing but hurt a brand. See our own couple wonderful examples.

You'd expect a company to hire folks with a little more subtlety and intelligence. Unless their job was to undermine their own company...in which case, mission accomplished.
you have fanboys who are just crazy, and then you have the marketing staff that I dont think you would be able to truthfully tell that they work for such and such company.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Thank you so much Artdeco. I was waiting this comment. Its really great user friendly and smooth

LOL, I try, and I think the S6 is a hell of a phone, but the forum drama gets to be a bit much, it's only a phone, and it's only a bit better, imho. The next generations mousetrap is always better :)

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
LOL, I try, and I think the S6 is a hell of a phone, but the forum drama gets to be a bit much, it's only a phone, and it's only a bit better, imho. The next generations mousetrap is always better :)

True, there will be a better Android later this year even if that only means the next Note.

I think a big issue this year is the massive gap between the S6 and all other 2015 Android phones coming out. If you are burning an upgrade, or paying flagship/iPhone prices, then the only reasonable option is a S6. It towers over other Androids unlike any Android since the Galaxy S2.

Truth be told though, hopefully this is the year when that starts to not matter. Hopefully this year we will get a MAJOR (aka not the invite One Plus One crap) phone for around $300/$400 at a flagship level. The S6 would still be the best Android, but not the highest value Android.

Help us Chinese Nexus Kenobi, you are our only hope.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
If they put an sd slot the S6 would be the perfect smartphone in the world. As such, this will be the first Galaxy phone that I will NOT be getting. Woe is me.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
If they put an sd slot the S6 would be the perfect smartphone in the world. As such, this will be the first Galaxy phone that I will NOT be getting. Woe is me.

The thing is, I feel like I could live without the SD slot and the removable battery, I just don't necessarily want to and I'm not sure why. The only thing I use my SD card for right now is nandroid backups and other ROM utility stuff. I never watch movies on my phone. I stream 90% of my music. Still, giving up those two features is hard for some reason.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
To me, the lack of a microSD slot is easier to swallow because of the UFS storage. You're paying more than you would if you just got a card, but you're also getting a faster, contiguous space that's easier to manage. That and streaming reduces the need for gobs of internal storage in the first place... 32GB probably covers a lot of people.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
To me, the lack of a microSD slot is easier to swallow because of the UFS storage.

And the fact that we can get a larger than the 16gb model on subsidy without pulling teeth. In the past those 32gb Samsung phones were unicorns at the AT&T/Verizon store.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
oh NOW all of a sudden it's okay to give up mSD card......

Most reasonable people did say that a 32gb/64gb model would alleviate things and super fast UFS storage is nice too.

It's always been about trade-offs after all. It would still be nice to have microSD do quickly swapping memory cards can be used to transfer data but it's a less important thing than the absolute amount of storage (of which 16GB is insufficent and 32GB is tight)

But if you want to think it's because "Samsung is finally doing it" then feel free.

I'm still waiting on the Note 5 and hoping it'll retain the removable storage and battery.

Last edited:

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
So I am wondering, I saw benchmarks for UFS storage -- it didn't test any faster than M9's eMMc, and in fact it lost some tests. So why the hype>

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
So I am wondering, I saw benchmarks for UFS storage -- it didn't test any faster than M9's eMMc, and in fact it lost some tests. So why the hype>

Are you looking at the randoms or the sequential? We're well past the point where sequential storage speed is an issue but the GS6's randoms are a class of their own.

Anandtech's tests show the sequentials for the GS6 a bit faster than the M9 but the randoms are much faster.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Most reasonable people did say that a 32gb/64gb model would alleviate things and super fast UFS storage is nice too.

Yep 64gb at a reasonable price and a 3500mAh battery (that's user replaceable when it crap out) and most of my objections disappear.
If they can couple that with speedy USB3 file transfer and make it waterproof I'll be back with them.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Are you looking at the randoms or the sequential? We're well past the point where sequential storage speed is an issue but the GS6's randoms are a class of their own.

Anandtech's tests show the sequentials for the GS6 a bit faster than the M9 but the randoms are much faster.

That is the impression I've got while setting up my mom's Edge. I did not disable any bloats because I did not have time, but what I felt was akin to going from mechanical HDD to SSD on a PC. I do not know how much of it has to do with the SOC, UFS 2.0, or software, but it is the first time since the S800 was introduced I have perceived a speed difference on a smartphone.

But the Edge is not a very ergonomic phone, I have to say. My mom got a case, which helps, but I just couldn't get a sure grip of it. Also the glare/reflection bothered me. For the moment I am tired of all the electrical screens that greet me wherever I go, and the glare of the Edge's curves seems like one of the worst offender in that regard, reminding me of its fake-visual nature. I guess it is something you may or may not get used to it.