S@H Classic: Who's up for a MTR? **Updated 11/17/05**

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by: amdxborg
I don't mind being penelized, not sure why Ronin get 90% and i get 95%.. Why not just let a tenth of our production count. Or 2 teams is just fine with me also! :D

Yes, that was just an example. I'm sure we can come up with something fair.

Some people have a way with numbers... i don't. If anyone "sees" something that will work out, just say so.

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
Another way you could do it is give each person a bonus/penalty on their stats so that they end up producing a total of 10 points. For me, each WU would be worth 2 points because I produce about 5 a day. For amdxborg, each wu would be worth 0.010881392818280739934711643090316 (someone check that math) points ..... or whatever that turns out to be in a fraction. Then we could jsut make a bunch of even teams with an equal number of people.

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: CheesePoofs
Then we could jsut make a bunch of even teams with an equal number of people.

Well, with 26 users there are only 2 possibilities for equal number of users, 2 teams with 13 users/team, or 13 teams with 2 users/team...

Now, the easiest and doesn't need any "difficult" calculation is 2 teams with 13 users, this is easily fixed by example switching Coolkid + petrusbroder against either lobadobadingdong or Soggys1stBrat, or silverpig + TurtleBlue against Wolfsraider, or lane42 + petrusbroder against Assimilator1, or Polo + TurtleBlue against OhioDude or... multiple other possibilities...

The other possibility is to use 3 teams with 2x9+8, or 4 teams with 2x7+2x6, or 5 teams with 4x5+6, and more or less randomly put users into the different teams.
It's even possible that amdxborg, Ronin, BofBnT, Dalephi and OhioDude is one team, while petrusbroder, CheesePoofs, Coolkid, cakin and lobadobadingdong is another team...

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Rattledagger

Well, with 26 users there are only 2 possibilities for equal number of users, 2 teams with 13 users/team, or 13 teams with 2 users/team...

Now, the easiest and doesn't need any "difficult" calculation is 2 teams with 13 users, this is easily fixed by example switching Coolkid + petrusbroder against either lobadobadingdong or Soggys1stBrat, or silverpig + TurtleBlue against Wolfsraider, or lane42 + petrusbroder against Assimilator1, or Polo + TurtleBlue against OhioDude or... multiple other possibilities...

The other possibility is to use 3 teams with 2x9+8, or 4 teams with 2x7+2x6, or 5 teams with 4x5+6, and more or less randomly put users into the different teams.
It's even possible that amdxborg, Ronin, BofBnT, Dalephi and OhioDude is one team, while petrusbroder, CheesePoofs, Coolkid, cakin and lobadobadingdong is another team...

I meant to teams of equal users after giving everyone a bonus or penalty to make it so everyone produced the same number of points (people who produce more wu's would need more wu's to get 1 point, people with less would need less to get 1 point).

Since more than 2 equal teams aren't possible, we could do 2 of 6 and 2 of 7, giving the people on the 6 team slightly more points per wu so that each team would create the same amount of points. In other words, decide that each person on the 7 person team will be given a bonus or penalty so they produce 6 points each, and everyone on the 6 person team will be given a bonus or penalty so they produce 7 points each. Then each team would produce 42 points.

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
lol No problem RD! ;) OK to be honest 2 teams would be the easiest to setup and manage. Thats just my opinion. But whatever you decide is just fine with me. You can even leave me out if I'm causing to much of a problem.. :)

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
lol No problem RD! ;) OK to be honest 2 teams would be the easiest to setup and manage. Thats just my opinion. But whatever you decide is just fine with me. You can even leave me out if I'm causing to much of a problem.. :)

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Another way you could do it is give each person a bonus/penalty on their stats so that they end up producing a total of 10 points. For me, each WU would be worth 2 points because I produce about 5 a day. For amdxborg, each wu would be worth 0.010881392818280739934711643090316 (someone check that math) points ..... or whatever that turns out to be in a fraction. Then we could jsut make a bunch of even teams with an equal number of people.

Originally posted by: Rattledagger

I meant to teams of equal users after giving everyone a bonus or penalty to make it so everyone produced the same number of points (people who produce more wu's would need more wu's to get 1 point, people with less would need less to get 1 point).

Since more than 2 equal teams aren't possible, we could do 2 of 6 and 2 of 7, giving the people on the 6 team slightly more points per wu so that each team would create the same amount of points. In other words, decide that each person on the 7 person team will be given a bonus or penalty so they produce 6 points each, and everyone on the 6 person team will be given a bonus or penalty so they produce 7 points each. Then each team would produce 42 points.

I think my head just exploded! :confused:

:p

KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid
If some one wants to offer to formulate daily WUs into some other number, be my guest. If not i'm going to leave it at 2 teams & let Soni's stats page do all the work. This BOINC stuff keeps me busy enough.

Originally posted by: amdxborg
No, i don't want to leave anyone out.

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
server.counter-strike.net
The only problem I'd have with a penalty type is that neither borg or I would get as much credit if we crunched out more for our mini-teams. Other than that, no biggie.

We should just stick to the two team format, no penalty, and crunch away.

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Spacehead
I think my head just exploded! :confused:

:p

KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid
If some one wants to offer to formulate daily WUs into some other number, be my guest. If not i'm going to leave it at 2 teams & let Soni's stats page do all the work. This BOINC stuff keeps me busy enough.
lol, ok.:) It probably does make more sense just to use a simple stat page then to have to do a few hours of math to figure out each person's score.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Ronin
The only problem I'd have with a penalty type is that neither borg or I would get as much credit if we crunched out more for our mini-teams. Other than that, no biggie.

We should just stick to the two team format, no penalty, and crunch away.

Amen, if you crunch 1 wu or 1000 wu's its all for the good of the TeAm, and you should get full credit for each wu crunched.

Stats are hard enough on a daily basis, no sense in 2 hours of calculations, before you can even do the stats.

:music: I heard it through the grapevine... Mini-TeAms are the Shiznat!!! :music:

I love this, its a bit nostalgic seeing all the crunchers running full out in the races :p

Good luck everyone:)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider

:music: I heard it through the grapevine... Mini-TeAms are the Shiznat!!! :music:

I love this, its a bit nostalgic seeing all the crunchers running full out in the races :p

What is a Shiznat?

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: petrusbroder

What is a Shiznat?

I'll hand this one for you Mike.
Shiznat is a misspelled word commonly used for human feces. THe real word has 4 letters bty

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Freewolf
Originally posted by: petrusbroder

What is a Shiznat?

I'll hand this one for you Mike.
Shiznat is a misspelled word commonly used for human feces. THe real word has 4 letters bty

LOL my bad.

Its the sh@t, hot, the latest craze, happening, the bomb, etc... :Q :eek:

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
In order to be fair, we may want to revisit the averages just before the MTR is to start, as for me personally, my average output isn't 600 anymore. Might require some team evening (I've recently acquired a 4800+ and a P4D 3GHz, so that's made a slight difference, and I have a 2GHz Dothan on the way, which should tack on another 15-20/day). I also received an FX57 today, so that will be replacing one of the FX55's, and once I find out where it's stable, that might add some more to my total (perhaps only 2-3/day, but still...). :) I'll have to find a home for the FX55..not sure how that's going to work out yet.

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Ronin
In order to be fair, we may want to revisit the averages just before the MTR is to start, as for me personally, my average output isn't 600 anymore. Might require some team evening (I've recently acquired a 4800+ and a P4D 3GHz, so that's made a slight difference, and I have a 2GHz Dothan on the way, which should tack on another 15-20/day). I also received an FX57 today, so that will be replacing one of the FX55's, and once I find out where it's stable, that might add some more to my total (perhaps only 2-3/day, but still...). :) I'll have to find a home for the FX55..not sure how that's going to work out yet.

Damn you've got some nice toys!

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
heh..I really should figure out how much crunching power is working.

I think I'm going to do my evaluation of WU times again shortly. Should be a nice full spreadsheet. :p

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
Speaking of updated stats ... it looks like my daily output has dropped to 3-4 wu's a day now that school has picked up :(

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
too late to join up?
my SETI name is TheEvil1 - rank 184 - 26 a day average now

im not exactly new to this but whatever

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Spacehead
Anubis in, Ronin out :p

No problem Anubis... Welcome to "The Race" :)

Rotflmao

No way ronin stays we want more evaluation of WU times lol