Discussion Ryzen 9 3900X and 3950X supply issues - long term problem?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Mindfactory.de will get ... 5 ... FIVE tomorrow :oops:
Wow, those 5 lucky people can start buying celebration supplies to properly welcome their 3900X!

I wrote "delivered by dozens", it is actually "delivered by single digits", I did not expect that!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What does Newegg's sale price of $189.99 for the R5 3600 mean, in the larger scheme of things? Aren't 3000-series Ryzen CPUs selling well? Why would they discount, the already-cheapest member of that family?

And likewise, what about the R5 3500 that was rumored? Could that be related somehow?

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
The WSA may act as a legal shield. Maybe?
Somebody mentioned that AMD and Globalfoundries should still have a Cross-Licensing deal so AMD can't really be sued.

It is pathetic from GloFo though. They screwed up their 20nm and 14nm nodes completely, to the point where they had to abandon both and licence a 14nm node from samsung. And then they screw up the 7nm even with IBM's expertise ... and now TSMC is infringing on their patents, despite being first (by a large margin) to each of those nodes?:rolleyes:

As people mentioned that's probably a move out of desperation, though considering the money TSMC (and all the others included) can throw at Lawyers it's bound to end poorly for GF.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
The WSA may act as a legal shield. Maybe?
Somebody mentioned that AMD and Globalfoundries should still have a Cross-Licensing deal so AMD can't really be sued.

It is pathetic from GloFo though. They screwed up their 20nm and 14nm nodes completely, to the point where they had to abandon both and licence a 14nm node from samsung. And then they screw up the 7nm even with IBM's expertise ... and now TSMC is infringing on their patents, despite being first (by a large margin) to each of those nodes?:rolleyes:

As people mentioned that's probably a move out of desperation, though considering the money TSMC (and all the others included) can throw at Lawyers it's bound to end poorly for GF.
But does that mean in case of an injunction blocking imports, AMD will still be able to ship & sell product? Talk about an earthquake in the industry.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Once again Bestbuy.com has the 3900x back in stock, but only available for ship to store for pickup. I doubt they'll last long, but one never knows. I added one to my cart and went all the way up to submit and then canceled.

Edit: Just checked back and Besbuy.com and they're sold out again.

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I just added to cart also. But then cancelled. Good sign. Amazon has them for $650ish (ripoff) But they have been that way forever, so people must be buying them. At least Bestbuy is charging $500. Even newegg has raised their price to $530, but OOS.

Reactions: Drazick

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Playing the wait game for a 3950X as well
Thats why I am not getting 3900x number 4. I have a 1600 just waiting to get swapped out with a 3900x, then the 3950x goes where the 3900x was.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have a 1600 just waiting to get swapped out with a 3900x
I'll buy it, when you decide to get rid of it, shipped with original heatsink (don't care if heatsink is used or unused, as long as packed properly). That is, if you don't need it for further BIOS flashing.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
But does that mean in case of an injunction blocking imports, AMD will still be able to ship & sell product? Talk about an earthquake in the industry.

I doubt the judge would grant an injunction, especially since GF can't offer any of TSMC's customers a reasonable alternative. None of TSMC's customers are really at fault here. The judge would have to be insane (or on the take from Intel; plot twist!) to simply block imports of TSMC-based products without deep consideration and hearing a lot of arguments. There probably won't be a legal interruption of Ryzen 3000 CPU supplies.

Ailurophile

Sep 1, 2019
I'm an old guy / lurker who has somehow managed to not register on this site until today. Desperately awaiting delivery of the 3900X from B&H (did a pre-order). I'm building a new system and have everything else, just awaiting the CPU. Need it for a new workstation for a new work project so I can edit native 6K raw video.

So... does anyone with more experience have some insight on when significant stock might be rolling in? I've had a couple chances to buy it at retail on major sites like Amazon, BB & Newegg, but since I already pre-ordered on B&H (can't cancel + it's pre-paid = would have to RMA), I just sat on my hands. Of course it always sells out and goes out of stock within 5-10 minutes, or less.

My own guesswork says a lot of retailers will probably get shipments 2nd week of September, but really that seems like eons away and I don't know how much longer I can wait.

EDIT: I pre-ordered on August 17th, so have not been waiting as long as many people. It seems like a 6-8 week wait since early July, but wondering if that wait window is going to shorten imminently.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
My own guesswork says a lot of retailers will probably get shipments 2nd week of September, but really that seems like eons away and I don't know how much longer I can wait.

I don't know about B&H, but ShopBLT likes to show off product availability, and I think they had a big shipment coming in on the 8th of September. Or the 10th. They reported 8k units going to one warehouse alone. My assumption is that other sites will get theirs at about the same time.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I suspect AMD changed/tightened the bin on the 3900X because of boostgate. That's why the supply is low.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Three weeks passed and nobody does not have nothing!

Even that one overpriced retailer has nothing left.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I doubt the judge would grant an injunction, especially since GF can't offer any of TSMC's customers a reasonable alternative. None of TSMC's customers are really at fault here. The judge would have to be insane (or on the take from Intel; plot twist!) to simply block imports of TSMC-based products without deep consideration and hearing a lot of arguments. There probably won't be a legal interruption of Ryzen 3000 CPU supplies.
I don't think it's going to come down to a reasonable alternative - so I don't think they'll block imports for that reason. But they can block imports until TSMC pays any licensing fees due to GF, if the court finds in favor of GF. Of course, as with all of these inter-corporate patent filings, there will probably be a counter-sue, and I'm guessing it'll be settled rather than letting a judge determine it. Then, lawyers and executives get a lot of money on GF's side and the price of silicon goes up slightly. Awesome!

Ailurophile

Sep 1, 2019
I don't know about B&H, but ShopBLT likes to show off product availability...

Thank you, and the others, for your responses and perspective. Yes, I did read about ShopBLT earlier in this thread so that has been a helpful indicator of sorts. Will be impressed if they really do get 10,000+ CPUs in one order & shipment!

Reactions: Kenmitch

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I got an in-stock from B&H today, but by the time I looked it was OOS. I am sure soon the problem will go away,

Ailurophile

Sep 1, 2019
I got an in-stock from B&H today, but by the time I looked it was OOS. I am sure soon the problem will go away,

Wow that is a very encouraging report, as it suggests they may have filled pre-orders before offering new sales. Thank you.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Could the yields of the 3950x be too good so there are not enough 3900x? Wishful thinking perhaps. Guess I was lucky to snag mine when I did.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I don't think it's going to come down to a reasonable alternative - so I don't think they'll block imports for that reason.

I'd be really upset if I were Apple, AMD, Qualcomm, or any of the other American companies making use of TSMC fabs if my product supply got cut off from something I didn't do. Cleverly, GF has listed some of those companies as targets in the suit, but I'm curious as to whether any of them were complicit in "stealing" GF's intellectual property?

Of course, as with all of these inter-corporate patent filings, there will probably be a counter-sue, and I'm guessing it'll be settled rather than letting a judge determine it.

Lots of parties would counter-sue. GF named so many. And I'm not convinced a judge would issue an injunction with countersuits in play, either.

Then, lawyers and executives get a lot of money on GF's side and the price of silicon goes up slightly. Awesome!

The instant GF went this route, lawyers got to tap into the tech revenue stream. It remains to be seen how much money they can siphon from the stream.

Thank you, and the others, for your responses and perspective. Yes, I did read about ShopBLT earlier in this thread so that has been a helpful indicator of sorts. Will be impressed if they really do get 10,000+ CPUs in one order & shipment!

It will be even more impressive if all those CPUs sell out again.