Discussion Ryzen 9 3900X and 3950X supply issues - long term problem?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Looking at Amazon today, 11 different resellers say the 3900x will be back in stock between Sept 30th (4 days away) and as late as Oct 4th. Basically next week. Maybe the drought is over ?

Reactions: Drazick

Arx Allemand

Sep 24, 2019
Looking at Amazon today, 11 different resellers say the 3900x will be back in stock between Sept 30th (4 days away) and as late as Oct 4th. Basically next week. Maybe the drought is over ?

A batch is incoming and I'm sure they will go fast. There's a lot of scalpers out there sucking them up, sitting on them for a week or two and jacking the prices when none are to be found. GRRRR!

Can't wait for the 3950X myself. The 3900X was a real treat to use, much better than the 2700X. And not just the four extra cores either. ;)

Reactions: lightmanek

Markfw

May 16, 2002
A batch is incoming and I'm sure they will go fast. There's a lot of scalpers out there sucking them up, sitting on them for a week or two and jacking the prices when none are to be found. GRRRR!

Can't wait for the 3950X myself. The 3900X was a real treat to use, much better than the 2700X. And not just the four extra cores either. ;)
Yup. I have 3 of them crunching away trying to cure cancer.... And I have an empty socket waiting on the 3950x. Its a 570 motherboard, so it is ready.

Edit, and scalpers or not, ONE of these times it will be a big shipment. I just keep hoping the next time I see this, it will be the big one !

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Centauri

List price: $800 $564

Amazon so funny.

$564 is less than I paid for my eBay special though. So get em while they're hot people!

Centauri

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
I hope this is indicative of demand more than supply. I've really enjoyed the stock price trajectory over the past few years...

Markfw

May 16, 2002
On the one day I go out for lunch. Damn
Well, I got 2 different emails from newegg, and one time they had them for $580 for an hour or so. They are coming into stock more often, and next week a bunch of suppliers say they expect shipments. Hold on a little longer, and you may be happy.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Well, I got 2 different emails from newegg, and one time they had them for $580 for an hour or so. They are coming into stock more often, and next week a bunch of suppliers say they expect shipments. Hold on a little longer, and you may be happy.

I blame myself this time around. I’m in standby mode
Now. Hopefully micro center comes through.

Ailurophile

Sep 1, 2019

I got lucky a couple times and refreshed pages at Amazon & Newegg this past week while they had them in stock. Even saw "1 in stock" at Microcenter, lol. This morning was the first time it was in stock anywhere for more than 10 minutes.

Each time I succumbed to deer-in-headlights syndrome because I'm not too excited about paying 10%+ or more above retail, plus tax. I have never seen the major retailers overtly jack up prices over MSRP like this ever before. (Not talking about 3rd party sellers).

I'm holding out for my pre-order at B&H but its been 5 weeks. At B&H I'm getting free shipping and no sales tax (Payboo). That is assuming I actually get one.

Surprisingly, even B&H is getting into the price gouging game and have since raised their sales price +$30, even though you can't order it anymore.

The waiting feels bad but hopefully next week we'll see a surge in fulfillment since new in-stock activity seems to be coming to life. And maybe AMD secretly addressed some issues from v1.0

EDIT: Added observation, in the Q&A area of the product at B&H, there used to be a thread that was 40+ comments deep about people asking when they were going to receive their shipment / what the heck is going on. B&H eventually deleted all of them.

EDIT2: Maybe B&H raising the price $30 indicates they are preparing for a new round of pre-sales?

Last edited:

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
I decided to use a discounted 3800X as a hedge against 3900X speculation. My secret plan, now revealed on the internet, is to wait until early next year when certain 3900Xs used for medical research will flood the FS/FT forum for $200. That's my delusion and I'm sticking to it.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I decided to use a discounted 3800X as a hedge against 3900X speculation. My secret plan, now revealed on the internet, is to wait until early next year when certain 3900Xs used for medical research will flood the FS/FT forum for $200. That's my delusion and I'm sticking to it.
Good plan ! Not sure then I will sell them, but you know me, always upgrading....

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Man, I just noticed even Microcenter jacked up the 3900x prices...
What is their new price ? I can't see it using the web store.

Edit, as I typed this I realized, even if I can't go there, I can change the store. $570 after discount.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
AMD could already be producing the 3900 and 3900 PRO for system builders. Orders from these companies probably have priority over supplies to end customers.
Anandtech said:
AMD on Monday announced the availability of its 3rd generation Ryzen Pro processors for commercial and small business desktop computers. As with their consumer counterparts, the new Pro CPUs will pack up to 12 cores
Initial customers for the Ryzen Pro 3000-series processors will be HP and Lenovo, with the former using them inside its EliteDesk 705 G5 SFF and Mini desktops, while Lenovo will use the chips for their upcoming ThinkCentre M75s-1 SFF and M75q-1 Tiny desktops.

Now I really believe that the shortage of 3900X has a lot to do with supplies to HP and Lenovo.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000

Now I really believe that the shortage of 3900X has a lot to do with supplies to HP and Lenovo.
Doubtful. Different Bins. The biggest issue is going to be that AMD probably planned 3900x adoption rates on 1800x sales. Same price point and what not. It takes a while specially when you consider that changing production (or in this case chip build configurations) will have a wave affect through their production lineup. Top it off the 3600x is one of their best sellers and the 24c TR3 is going to be the base TR3 configuration flagship at first. Seems they prioritized 6c chips for Retail and 8c chips for EPYC (since supposedly the ability to order 24 and 48c configurations in EPYC seems to be nearly impossible). AMD probably has one of the best lead times due to their configuration then most when it comes to shifting production. But it isn't going to be instantaneous and they are going to be reluctant to do so in case the bottom falls out in sales. Personally I think almost all 3900x demand is pent up demand. Once AMD fills that the 3900x will drop to the middle of the demand pack. Then you add that shifting production away from the 3600x (will be a sustained volume seller) and a 24C TR3 (higher margin sales), would be a bad decision on top of the possibility of sitting on unsold 3900x stock.

Reactions: scannall

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Seems they prioritized 6c chips for Retail and 8c chips for EPYC (since supposedly the ability to order 24 and 48c configurations in EPYC seems to be nearly impossible).
12c, 24c, and 48c processor SKUs are in stock in Germany. I don't know whether or not complete servers with them are readily available.

PS,
this doesn't say much though, because mainboards are hard to come by. 1P mainboards are unavailable to mere mortals, and 2P mainboards for Rome are entirely unavailable here.

Last edited:

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
12c, 24c, and 48c processor SKUs are in stock in Germany. I don't know whether or not complete servers with them are readily available.

PS,
this doesn't say much though, because mainboards are hard to come by. 1P mainboards are unavailable to mere mortals, and 2P mainboards for Rome are entirely unavailable here.
I was watching a couple of videos less then a week ago implying that vendors were shying customers away from them like AMD removed them from pricing sheet (even thought they didn't obviously). The 12c though isn't going to be using 6c chiplets imho, my guess is it will be 4 3x0 chiplets. I really really doubt AMD will chip unbalanced cooling on EYPC releases.

Going over adored's video on the 3950x delay and premiering at 24c for TR3 (might even have been one of the ones hinting at low 6c chiplet based EPYC), he did his usual wafer analyzation on zen2. What equal 33 percent on Vega 20 and sub 50% on Navi equaled like 75% of Zen 2 chip-lets being 8c friendly. It would make sense if the best sellers and future value TR are all competing for the chiplets out of the 25% and AMD is pushing hard the sale of 8c chiplet based Epyc sales.

Ailurophile

Sep 1, 2019
B&H photo sent me an email saying it was back in stock, but by the time I went there they were out. $529.

I'm on their notification list but never got an email, and aren't they closed until Rosh Hashana is over on Wednesday? They probably still have some staff in operations. I hope this means my pre-order allocation is fulfilled and that they actually had some surplus to open up new orders.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Doubtful. Different Bins.
You people seem to be ignoring all the other parts of the manufacturing process! It is not just about TSMC and bare silicon chips, you need to make a functioning product out of them.

I bet that the other parts of the manufacturing process are running at or very near their capacities too given the very large volume of products AMD now sells!

So an order for ?? thousands of two chiplet Ryzen CPUs from system manufacturers simply put consumer CPUs behind in the queue.

BTW it would be very interesting to learn more about the other parts of the CPU manufacturing process, testing, assembly etc. Could anyone having contact to Dr. Cutress tell him about this and steer his curiosity this way? Thanks.

Last edited: