Discussion Ryzen 9 3900X and 3950X supply issues - long term problem?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I don't see them... yet... but from the photos you posted... there's room in your 'lab' to store in bulk 3900Xs until just the right selling moment. ;-)
Also... I'm teasing...
You know its pretty disgusting when you can;t sell 14 core CPUs for $200. And motherboards that support 4 core all the way up to 22 core with quad channel memory for $100.....

Last edited:

intelati

Jun 10, 2019
You know its pretty disgusting when you can;t sell 14 core CPUs for $200. And motherboards that support 4 core all the way up to 22 core with quad channel memory for $100.....

Wait, so where are those threads that we are talking about?

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
The pipeline is likely filled with the 3950X's. I'd expect the 3900's to start showing up after the 3950 is released.

hahahaha

I'd say the pipeline is filled with chips destined for EYPC.

Why sell a part you get $200 profit on when you can get $1000 profit for the same part using a different sticker*?

*poetic license - obviously more than the sticker changes!

Reactions: DarthKyrie

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
hahahaha

I'd say the pipeline is filled with chips destined for EYPC.

Why sell a part you get $200 profit on when you can get $1000 profit for the same part using a different sticker*?

*poetic license - obviously more than the sticker changes!
That's entirely possible as well. Perhaps the demand for Epyc is stronger than expected? Not sure where I'd look that up.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
This is not good. AMD finally has winners, and now TSMC can't deliver enough chips.
Well it's not like AMD haven't had this problem in the past. :tonguewink:

I wish I could remember who it was, when I claimed that if Ryzen 3000 series was going to cost what Adored said it would, AMD wouldn't be able to meet demand and this person claimed there was plenty of 7nm production capability.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Well it's not like AMD haven't had this problem in the past. :tonguewink:

I wish I could remember who it was, when I claimed that if Ryzen 3000 series was going to cost what Adored said it would, AMD wouldn't be able to meet demand and this person claimed there was plenty of 7nm production capability.

At the time, there were downturns in the smartphone/tablet market, and TSMC wasn't reporting any shortages. Now TSMC is reporting shortages. I haven't noticed any major upticks in the smartphone market though. Kinda wondering how TSMC is having this problem?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
At the time, there were downturns in the smartphone/tablet market, and TSMC wasn't reporting any shortages. Now TSMC is reporting shortages. I haven't noticed any major upticks in the smartphone market though. Kinda wondering how TSMC is having this problem?

The following is from the article I linked a couple of posts up.

TSMC declined to comment on the Digitimes article, saying it doesn't comment on rumors or disclose the lead time for individual nodes.

Who's the industry sources that started the rumor is the real question.

Reactions: misuspita

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Agreed.

This issue appeared over an extremely short period of time. Anyone transitioning to 7nm would have been in the process for an extremely long period of time allowing Tsmc to notify clients on what to expect. Anyone now starting off will not be ready anytime soon. By elimination, it appears (have?) to be increased orders from existing clients.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Who's the industry sources that started the rumor is the real question.

Intel plants wanting to spread FUD.

"Don't buy AMD - you'll end up getting half way through your deployment and they'll run out of CPUs"

Pretty pathetic stuff.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
TSMC is nowhere near as bad as GlobalFoundries.

14LPP was suppose to achieve HVM in 2015, early 2016. GloFo got $10B to accelerate the ramp in 2014($5B~) and 2015($5B~). However, they only started in 2018/2019 to get less capacity constrained. A massive gap of three years to get to target capacity.

TSMC has two fabs doing 7nm, with massive capacity ramps before the 5nm Fab and 3nm Fab completions. This is nowhere close to GlobalFoundries response, TSMC's capacity drive is much higher than GloFo.

Samsung only has a single EUV 7nm line, GlobalFoundries had 1/5th a line planned for EUV. SMIC also only has planned a single 7nm EUV line sometime in 2022 or something. TSMC is literally the only one with four fabs with EUV planned on the table. Intel gets close with a couple fabs also planned; Oregon(2nd), Chandler(1st), Israel or Ireland(3rd/4th).

Last edited:

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Now TSMC is reporting shortages. I haven't noticed any major upticks in the smartphone market though. Kinda wondering how TSMC is having this problem?
The just launched iPhone 11 line is using TSMC's 7nm again and is selling better than the previous iPhone X line on the same node. Apple is easily TSMC's biggest customer right now.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The just launched iPhone 11 line is using TSMC's 7nm again and is selling better than the previous iPhone X line on the same node. Apple is easily TSMC's biggest customer right now.
And the only large customer willing to pay extra to guarantee that TSMC prioritizes their wafer orders. The demand for TSMC 7N has been huge according to the company’s own reporting. Great problem to have for TSMC, not great for their customers. That said, fabbing a high performance x86 cpu is a real feather inTSMC's cap and has them competing directly with Intel’s vaunted fabs.

Reactions: misuspita

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
My 3900X is on its way. Sadly Mindfactory.de shipped it with UPS standard and they dont deliver on Saturdays/Weekends.
After 72 days I will get the CPU :D

Anyway I also saw it is available from three other retailers starting from 700+ EUR
At Mindfactory.de it continues to be sold out.

Reactions: lightmanek

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
My 3900X is on its way. Sadly Mindfactory.de shipped it with UPS standard and they dont deliver on Saturdays/Weekends.

Anyway I also saw it is available from three other retailers starting from 700+ EUR
At Mindfactory.de it continues to be sold out.
New has nothing at any price.ebay has several for $700 US buy-it-now, and others on bid.
Amazon has a lot at $750.
I just hope the 3950x comes out soon, or the 3000 series Threadrippers.

Reactions: Drazick

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Too bad you guys don't have Microcenters near you. My local one gets 10+ 3900x a week. They tend to sell out same day.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Do they sell for retail ? $500 ?
As a general rule Microcenter does not price gouge, they always sell at retail.

The only time I've seen them deviate from that rule is during miners craze, and even then it was essentially limiting video cards to one per customer and if you wanted to buy another card you'd have to pay triple for the second card and I can't fault them for that. Now that every place charges tax in my state I always check Microcenter if they have what I need because all else equal I'd rather buy from them to help them stay in business.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Hmmmm that may be it. Plus Qualcomm is pushing out the 8cx soon, as well as an 855 refresh I think?

Whew I thought I had it bad. Glad you got yours.

Reactions: DisEnchantment

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Do they sell for retail ? $500 ?

$499.99, and you get a $30-$50 discount depending on the MB, if you get a MB. The only stipulation is you can only buy 1-2 a month. And you can add an extended warranty, basically like Intel's overclocker thingy too.

Reactions: Markfw