Question Ryzen 7 3700x Overheats 90 C on Idle please help

Croc3LL

Nov 2, 2021
hi, so i've been using Ryzen 7 3700x for like an year now and suddenly i noticed that the FPS in the games are going down and my PC restarts alot for the specific reason "CPU Overheating". as soon as i checked the temperatures, they were over 90C on Idle and i was like BRUH when i play games or do anything the temperature rises above 90C. i have tried changing Coolers too, at first i had the Stock Cooler now i use an AIO and still i cannot see any change in the temperatures whatsoever. I saw some changes after using the AIO but that too for the first week of use. I've even tried cleaning it and nothing works out for me please help.

System Specifications:

Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU
MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R - AIO
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio - GPU
MSI X570 Pro - MoBo
32GB G.Skill - RAM
NZXT H510 - Case

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
The fact that it wasn't overheating previously would indicate that something has since failed/changed.
Verify that all fans are spinning and the pump in the AIO is working. Also see if the rpm increases with load(software and visually/sound). Run the system without the side panel on to diagnose these things.
If your bios has fan speed control settings, you can manually set/check that the fans are operating properly without even booting into your os. Also make sure they are set to use pwm control or "auto" where needed.

Reactions: Makaveli

Croc3LL

Nov 2, 2021
The fact that it wasn't overheating previously would indicate that something has since failed/changed.
Verify that all fans are spinning and the pump in the AIO is working. Also see if the rpm increases with load(software and visually/sound). Run the system without the side panel on to diagnose these things.
If your bios has fan speed control settings, you can manually set/check that the fans are operating properly without even booting into your os. Also make sure they are set to use pwm control or "auto" where needed.
checked everything

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Suddenly going to 90C at idle with the AIO would indicate a pump failure if everything else hasn't changed. If you're idling at 90C with the stock cooler, you either have bad contact or something is fundamentally broken with the interface in your CPU. Check your power use in Ryzen Master or something similar to make sure you're actually idling.

Croc3LL

Nov 2, 2021
Suddenly going to 90C at idle with the AIO would indicate a pump failure if everything else hasn't changed. If you're idling at 90C with the stock cooler, you either have bad contact or something is fundamentally broken with the interface in your CPU. Check your power use in Ryzen Master or something similar to make sure you're actually idling.
yes it is idle

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
90C ... at LOAD, for that CPU, I could understand (hotspots and all). 90C at IDLE, something's dreadfully wrong. You may have "mining malware" running in the background.

What's the temp after leaving it in the BIOS for five minutes, in "PC Health" section?

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Something isn't seated right. Have you checked the pins holding down the cooler for instance? Is one broken and not giving a proper contact with the CPU? If the pump is running, and the cooler firmly seated it won't hit 90 at idle.

Croc3LL

Nov 2, 2021
Something isn't seated right. Have you checked the pins holding down the cooler for instance? Is one broken and not giving a proper contact with the CPU? If the pump is running, and the cooler firmly seated it won't hit 90 at idle.
well everything is seated right but still i cant understand what's wrong i mean getting online on the forums is the last resort i had

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Is that with the stock cooler or the AIO? At least for troubleshooting, I would stick to the stock cooler since you can at least verify that if the fan is running it should be cooling. If you're 100% sure it's seated correctly, I'd reset the bios to defaults in case you fudged up something with voltages trying to OC, and then if you can toss another CPU in there to see if it works and cools reasonably.

Croc3LL

Nov 2, 2021
Is that with the stock cooler or the AIO? At least for troubleshooting, I would stick to the stock cooler since you can at least verify that if the fan is running it should be cooling. If you're 100% sure it's seated correctly, I'd reset the bios to defaults in case you fudged up something with voltages trying to OC, and then if you can toss another CPU in there to see if it works and cools reasonably.
everything is at default and I don't have another CPU to test it out. and Stock cooler gave the same results that's why i switched to AIO :)

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
well everything is seated right but still i cant understand what's wrong i mean getting online on the forums is the last resort i had

OK, but you need to back up and review some of these posts that have already been offered here to understand what's wrong.

As @MrTeal mentioned, the very first thing is to get yourself back to a solid basis. Reset your Motherboard to defaults, and ideally mount your stock cooler again. Your system should go back to stock temps.

If you're continuing to use your AIO, you need to look at this as a physics problem.

1. You need mounting pressure and thermal paste to get heat from your CPU into the AIO Block (Don't forget to take the plastic off bottom part of the AIO!
2. You need an AIO Pump plugged into the proper port and spinning to move the heating coolant to the radiator. You should be able to see your Coolant temps increase.
3. You need fans that are spinning on the radiator to move heat away from the radiator. Again, you should see your Coolant temps affected by this.

Check each part and report back what is actually being seen. Not just that it was checked, but what is actually happening. If your fans are spinning, they should have an RPM. If your Pump is spinning, its RPM should be reported. If none of these are happening, you have a problem.

If your Coolant is cold, your pump is spinning, and your CPU temps are that high in BIOS, then you have a mounting problem you need to address. Either there was plastic left on the bottom of the AIO, not enough thermal paste, an improperly installed CPU (lever not closed), or an improperly mounted AIO that is not applying enough pressure. There's also the chance that your mounting hardware is damaged. Are any of your screws cross-threaded, or is your backplate cracked?

Croc3LL

Nov 2, 2021
OK, but you need to back up and review some of these posts that have already been offered here to understand what's wrong.

As @MrTeal mentioned, the very first thing is to get yourself back to a solid basis. Reset your Motherboard to defaults, and ideally mount your stock cooler again. Your system should go back to stock temps.

If you're continuing to use your AIO, you need to look at this as a physics problem.

1. You need mounting pressure and thermal paste to get heat from your CPU into the AIO Block (Don't forget to take the plastic off bottom part of the AIO!
2. You need an AIO Pump plugged into the proper port and spinning to move the heating coolant to the radiator. You should be able to see your Coolant temps increase.
3. You need fans that are spinning on the radiator to move heat away from the radiator. Again, you should see your Coolant temps affected by this.

Check each part and report back what is actually being seen. Not just that it was checked, but what is actually happening. If your fans are spinning, they should have an RPM. If your Pump is spinning, its RPM should be reported. If none of these are happening, you have a problem.

If your Coolant is cold, your pump is spinning, and your CPU temps are that high in BIOS, then you have a mounting problem you need to address. Either there was plastic left on the bottom of the AIO, not enough thermal paste, an improperly installed CPU (lever not closed), or an improperly mounted AIO that is not applying enough pressure. There's also the chance that your mounting hardware is damaged. Are any of your screws cross-threaded, or is your backplate cracked?
am gonna back up the data i have and then i am going to try this if this works then well and good or else i would go for something else (by that i mean some other parts because i have tried replacing and then mounting things back in and still i have the same problem. :/

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
You need to get individual core temperatures. You can get that data from HWiNFO64. You also need to look at your PPT data to see how much power is going to the CPU while it's reporting temps of 90C. That's also available in HWiNFO64.