Question Ryzen 3800X cpu overheating Issue

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm new to building PCs and understanding various CPU/motherboard related/technical parameters and settings.

I recently built a brand new gaming rig, after learning how to build a computer on my own, from various youtube videos and online resources.

Here are the specifications of my build:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (with Stock Wraith Prism Cooler with Cooler Master master-gel thermal paste applied)
Asus Tuf Gaming B450 Plus Mobo
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200Hz RAM (8x2)
Asus Tuf gaming X3 Radeon 5700X OC Edition 8 GB DDR6
Crusial P1 1 TB NVME SSD
Corsair CX750M modular power supply

It is the first rig, I've ever built and I was full of joy when I switched on the pc for the first time and it booted.

However, my joy was short-lived as I'm facing a very frustrating problem with the cpu overheating and system crashing every time I try to play my favorite games like FALLOUT 4, GTA V or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

When, I go into the BIOS settings, the motherboard shows the cpu temperature of 50-55 degrees and VDDRC voltage something like 1.4770, both of which as far as I know, are pretty high.

AMD Ryzen master shows the idle temps at 33-38d degrees.
AIDA64 : 42-49 degrees
Hwinfo64: 49-53 degrees
Hwmonitor: 42-45 degrees
OCCT: 46-50 degrees

Literally, every game I play crashes my system, sometimes after 15-20 minutes but sometimes immediately upon launching the game and the system restarts again.

Please help me. I'm very much confused and annoyed by this.

I tried wiping out stock thermal paste and applying Cooler master paste.
Uninstalled and re-installed CPU into the MoBO socket.

Also, updated MoBo BIOS, which actually worsened the problem. Now the temps are even higher (used to be 45-50 earlier on the UEFI screen before the update).

Is something wrong with my MoBo or CPU? Should I send the CPU for replacement? Or is there a fault with the motherboard?

I don't have much knowledge about under/overclocking and haven't tweaked any CPU/RAM related parameters from BIOS.

Kindly advise, what should I do now?

I can give whatever information and screenshot you may need.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Your CPU temperatures are very good. If it was 90C+ you might have some room for concern. It is not your CPU overheating based on your temperatures. Voltage is also not a problem, as it is within the stock operating parameters for a 3800X.

If running AIDA64/OCCT or similar CPU load does not crash your system, it is unlikely to be CPU or motherboard.

Some things to try:
1) Install the AMD chipset drivers for your board: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450
2) Load XMP settings for your memory in BIOS - then run a memory stress test in AIDA64 to verify it doesn't throw errors within 5-10 minutes
If it is NOT your CPU or memory, then video card (or video drivers) are another suspect:
3) Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and the latest AMD video drivers. Reboot in safe mode and use DDU to uninstall your video card drivers, then reboot with ethernet/internet disconnected and manually install the latest AMD video drivers. If this doesn't fix it, probably not your drivers.

You should probably also include a better description of the "crashing" to help people narrow down the cause. Does it cause a BSOD (blue screen of death)? Are there any error messages? Does it just "freeze" and then reboot immediately? Do you get the same issue if you run a GPU stress test in AIDA64? Etc.

Reactions: mikeymikec

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Your CPU temperatures are very good. If it was 90C+ you might have some room for concern. It is not your CPU overheating based on your temperatures. Voltage is also not a problem, as it is within the stock operating parameters for a 3800X.

If running AIDA64/OCCT or similar CPU load does not crash your system, it is unlikely to be CPU or motherboard.

Some things to try:
1) Install the AMD chipset drivers for your board: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450
2) Load XMP settings for your memory in BIOS - then run a memory stress test in AIDA64 to verify it doesn't throw errors within 5-10 minutes
If it is NOT your CPU or memory, then video card (or video drivers) are another suspect:
3) Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and the latest AMD video drivers. Reboot in safe mode and use DDU to uninstall your video card drivers, then reboot with ethernet/internet disconnected and manually install the latest AMD video drivers. If this doesn't fix it, probably not your drivers.

You should probably also include a better description of the "crashing" to help people narrow down the cause. Does it cause a BSOD (blue screen of death)? Are there any error messages? Does it just "freeze" and then reboot immediately? Do you get the same issue if you run a GPU stress test in AIDA64? Etc.
My thoughts exactly. :)

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019

Sorry to doubt you, but are you 100% sure? Cuz, a lot of internet posts and forums suggested that idle temps should be in a 30 to 35 Celsius range, shouldn't it?

Also, please be mindful that all the temps which I've posted with different tools are idle temps only. I am not able to check cpu temps at stress or during gameplay due to crashes happening at random times.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll try out all the steps you've listed, one by one, and come up with my findings in a second.

In the meantime, if it helps to know - This is a video uploaded by someone, which is exactly how my system crashes. (No BSOD, but black screens and a DISTINCTIVE BUZZING sound and the system reboots) -

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, those CPU temps look good, but check YouTube about that video card, some vids claiming that that model is inherently defective, with overheating VRAM problems, and no fix in sight. Best to return/exchange it for a different RX 5700(XT) AIB model. Like a Sapphire or something.

(HardwareUnboxed is one of the most reputable YT channels, along with "Tech Jesus" (Gamer's Nexus), and BuildZoid.)

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
Yeah, those CPU temps look good, but check YouTube about that video card, some vids claiming that that model is inherently defective, with overheating VRAM problems, and no fix in sight. Best to return/exchange it for a different RX 5700(XT) AIB model. Like a Sapphire or something.

Thank you, for the suggestion. Is there any way to to find out if the graphic card is the real culprit?

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I think people are missing this part which is very important

Also, please be mindful that all the temps which I've posted with different tools are idle temps only

We need to know the temps under stress before we can say if the cpu is getting too hot or not. Idle temperatures aren't super meaningful.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
yeah, return the video card and get a better one.

Could also be a driver issue. Grab the newest driver from AMD.

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019

Some things to try:

So,

1) Installed the AMD chipset drivers.
2) By XMP settings, I presume you meant DOCP. So, enabled DOCP from BIOS. Memory profile is now DOCP 3200 Hz.
3) Ran the AIDA64 stress test twice, after enabling DOCP. The system is stable at 74 Degrees.
4) I had already installed the latest Radeon video drivers. Need I go through DDU again for the GPU?

stabilitytest1.pnge same drivers?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
1) Installed the AMD chipset drivers.
2) By XMP settings, I presume you meant DOCP. So, enabled DOCP from BIOS. Memory profile is now DOCP 3200 Hz.
3) Ran the AIDA64 stress test twice, after enabling DOCP. The system is stable at 74 Degrees.
4) I had already installed the latest Radeon video drivers. Need I go through DDU again for the GPU?

Based on your above temps and what you describe is happening I'd lean towards memory compatibility being the culprit. You did install them in the correct slots? Have you checked to make sure your motherboard set the correct voltage required for your memory sticks? Have you tried bumping up the memory voltage a little bit to see if it helps? Maybe bumping it up .03v's or so would help?

I experienced similar symptoms with a Asus C6H motherboard and a 3600 using some Patriot Viper 3733MHz memory on my son's build. I had already tested out the combo while he was contemplating on what case and gpu to purchase. I had it up and running with my gpu and the system was stable. When I built his rig we had issues almost from the getgo. After playing around in the uEFI for a little bit we got it booted and it appeared to be stable. Soon after he ran into issues similar to what you described. I went back over and did some uEFI tweaking and some stress testing and it looked to be good. Nope issues randomly returned.

USB flashback to the uEFI version I had pretested the combo on was the fix for him. Luckily I had taken a photo of the known good uEFI version page before I had flashed it to the latest borked uEFI version from Asus. It's been a couple of weeks or so and he's had zero issues so far.

I've experienced the same symptoms tweaking my b-die memory on my MSI x570 motherboard as you. Sometimes it's just the setting, but have ran into a bad uEFI version or two with it. My MSI motherboard also has USB flashback so in the end it's just a waste of my time.

Last edited:

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
Performed a clean latest Radeon driver installation using DDU. And, did a GPU stress test in AIDA64.
Stress test is stable. But, still the problem persist in games.

GPU.png

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Try setting a positive CPU voltage offset, say 0,050 or 0,075 V. The CPU may need a little bit more support.

CPU is not the issue. Overvolting the CPU is not a solution.

@osmium7
Reviews on Newegg for your video card point to at least some users running into the issue with black screens and reboots:

My money is on the video card being the issue, do you have another working video card you can swap in to test?

Also: To rule out a power supply issue, what happens in AIDA64 if you stress both CPU and GPU at the same time?

Reactions: Campy and lobz

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
If it's happening only during gaming and not while running a CPU stress test it's almost certainly the GPU. My second guess would be PSU but I think that's unlikely.

Reactions: Makaveli

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I'm still leaning towards a issue with either the memory or uEFI.
if it was the ram then it would happen when not playing a game.

he could simply run memtest.

I firmly believe it is the video card. It could be defective or there is not enough ventilation in the case.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I wouldn't trust the AIDA GPU test per se. Try some stuff like Unigine Superposition and 3DMark FireStrike or Time Spy.

edit: CPU temps look fine. If you can make your CPU pass Blender Benchmark (quick run), CBR20 (MT), and maybe y-cruncher to 2 billion places, then I'd call the CPU stable. No issues there. Memory instability is not hard to ferret out either: try either Prime95 Blend or y-cruncher. Memory problems pop up like mad in those. Or just HCI memtest.

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
Sorry for the late response, guys!
Just got back from work...

@IEC
I did stress test with CPU, FPU, Cache, memory and GPU all at 100% load at once. Didn't have any issues.

@Kenmitch & @Iron Woode
I'll get back to you with memtest results

@Makaveli
Boy, I've no idea how to underclock a gpu!

@DrMrLordX
I did perform unigine stress test, previously. When I performed the tests 2 days ago, the system used to crash during 1080 High and 1080 Extreme test profiles.
Did the tests again yesterday, after performing clean installation of latest Radeon driver, and both the tests can now be completed without any issue.
But, still can't play the games without crashing every 5 minutes.

Last edited:

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
I wouldn't trust the AIDA GPU test per se. Try some stuff like Unigine Superposition and 3DMark FireStrike or Time Spy.

edit: CPU temps look fine. If you can make your CPU pass Blender Benchmark (quick run), CBR20 (MT), and maybe y-cruncher to 2 billion places, then I'd call the CPU stable. No issues there. Memory instability is not hard to ferret out either: try either Prime95 Blend or y-cruncher. Memory problems pop up like mad in those. Or just HCI memtest.

Haven't got Blender, yet. Cinebench 20 is running just fine with good numbers.
Also, for Y-Cruncher test, how are these results?

y cruncher.png

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@osmium7

I agree with lobz. It looks like your CPU is doing just fine. I also doubt it's memory, but HCI memtest is worth a shot. Interesting that you got Unigine stable after reinstalling drivers.

One of the benchmarks that pushes my Radeon VII to its limits on overclocks is GFXBench 5. Specificaly the 1440p and 1440p offscreen tests (Aztec). Be sure to deselect everything but those, and try them. If your GPU is unstable, that'll make it stand out.

Reactions: lobz

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
Update:

Ran the usb memtest. And, all the 4 tests are successful with no problem at all.
And here are my BIOS screen shots.
Anything wrong with these numbers?

191230183432.png191230183505.png

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thank you, for the suggestion. Is there any way to to find out if the graphic card is the real culprit?

Have you tried using software to monitor the temps during stress testing and gaming? Maybe leave the side panel off to eliminate poor airflow as the culprit.

I firmly believe it is the video card. It could be defective or there is not enough ventilation in the case.

I'm swaying towards the gpu now also. Reviews don't look favorable as far as I can see. Internet diagnosis of computer stabiltiy can be mind boggling at times.

I guess another missing piece of the puzzle would be the boost behavior of his 3800x. Lighter loads such as gaming will have a higher boost than stress testing all cores. Depening on uEFI settings boos beyond stability is a possibilility.

Anything wrong with these numbers?

CHA2 looks whonky :)