RX 480 seem to be selling like hot cakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2008
I guess the current over blown pcie- power issue is not resulting in people returning cards or not buying them.

They are very popular. Lot of sold out here.
Alternate.de still has them. I am seriously going to investigate if i can buy my upcoming (AIB + 2xhdmi)card there. It is almost 50 euro cheaper in Germany. :mad:

Last edited:

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Most consumers don't do very much research. Certainly not the level of discussion on any given topic that happens on enthusiast forums like AT. They tend to buy based on what that can spend and/or what brands they like or friends recommend.

wanderica

Oct 2, 2005
Most consumers don't do very much research. Certainly not the level of discussion on any given topic that happens on enthusiast forums like AT. They tend to buy based on what that can spend and/or what brands they like or friends recommend.

Well, you're not wrong, of course. Most don't do any research. They either buy based on word of mouth or simply buy what's in their price range. In this case, though, I don't really think that's it. I think people are just excited for "new." $200 cards usually don't come out first. The price of these things just means more people can buy them. Couple that with the fact that Nvidia won't have an answer for another 9 days of the rumors are true -- and even then, supply is still suspected to be an issue --and you get a winning formula.

I needed more horsepower than the 480 can provide, and I didn't want to go CF, so I had to pass on it this time. Still, I hope this is the boost that AMD needs. Dunno if my wallet can take many more cycles like Maxwell that seem to push the mid - high range cost of entry even higher.

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
Every time I go over to Newegg they are always out of stock of every model/configuration.

They are also selling used and new on eBay for outrageous prices (shocker).

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
nvidia sells all they make: paper launch
AMD sells all they make: selling like hotcakes

Only on this forum. smh.

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
Since people not interested on the very good price deals on 970-980 ,380-390.

To take alternate.de (alternate.be is like 50 € more expensive , reason being no clue , i'll just order from outside belgium...) :
a) RX 480 sapphire 269 € min
b) 1070 499 € min

RX 480 up to 60% of 1070 in DX11
RX 480 up to 70-80% of 1070 in DX12

Unless you have enough money , why on earth would you go for a 1070 at the moment in the european market. The 1070 is above and beyond most people their budget , but then again we are here on forums who laugh at 300 dollar cards :p.

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

Only on this forum. smh.

Yeah...pretty funny.

I can't find a new NV card!
Yields are very low. Card shipments are pitiful.

I can't buy a new AMD card!
They're selling like hotcakes! Can't keep 'em in stock!

May 11, 2008
Not you personally, but in general in these threads.

Oke, or i would have mentioned reading comprehension... :colbert:

I did showed GTX 1080 where not available at a popular internet store here, but that is not a negative thing. It just means they are not available. If that maybe because of popular demand or short stock, i do not know. But i see similar signs with the RX 480.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Well, Gibbo over at OCUK has been pretty open about qualities they've shipped of both AMD and nvidia.

He also talked about getting a shipment of a couple thousand Sapphire AIB 480 cards for them alone and having a good quantity of pre-orders already. They being just one vendor I can imagine worldwide demand for the 480 is there and probably substantial for a mainstream product.

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
Well, Gibbo over at OCUK has been pretty open about qualities they've shipped of both AMD and nvidia.

He also talked about getting a shipment of a couple thousand Sapphire AIB 480 cards for them alone and having a good quantity of pre-orders already. They being just one vendor I can imagine worldwide demand for the 480 is there and probably substantial for a mainstream product.
One is about 30% smaller chip, logically it wouldn't be a reach to say that AMD's making more of those chips, and selling a whole lot of them for about half the price of the cheapest GP104. Then again, in the forums here, AMD can't possibly do anything right.

IMHO, two things AMD should learn from Nvidia...
- image management
- bloody power management software, which they haven't got right since Llano days. It's better, but Nvidia does do it better. May be AMD could poach those particular engineers.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
One is about 30% smaller chip, logically it wouldn't be a reach to say that AMD's making more of those chips, and selling a whole lot of them for about half the price of the cheapest GP104. Then again, in the forums here, AMD can't possibly do anything right.

- image management
- bloody power management software, which they haven't got right since Llano days. It's better, but Nvidia does do it better. May be AMD could poach those particular engineers.
Nv is surely doing a lot better than amd on the tech side and vice versa but what they foremost do better is driving a business.
It was most evident even in the days when nv was a very very small compagny and tipped 3dfx off. They are agressive and innovative and have top ceo in maniac hyperdrive :)

And btw 480 is priced at sweetspot. It sells as it at the same time is best value card on market bar none.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Just realized they are out of stock at NewEgg, well plenty of them in EU.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016

- image management

AMD is only now just beginning to get out of the massive hole their former CEO Rory Reed dug by slashing AMD's R&D budget a couple years ago. Something so idiotic should've destroyed AMD, but somehow they survived and are just now starting to thrive again.

Image management and marketing are sorely, sorely needed. As anyone related to sales know, people mostly buy marketing anyways.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Image management and marketing are sorely, sorely needed. As anyone related to sales know, people mostly buy marketing anyways.

You dont change a culture like that. Its not solved just by hiring new people.
Its the mindset of engineers that also needs to be more market focused.
Normally they arent. And its about as easy to change as changing their heads.

Mar 10, 2006
You dont change a culture like that. Its not solved just by hiring new people.
Its the mindset of engineers that also needs to be more market focused.
Normally they arent. And its about as easy to change as changing their heads.

Engineers build what they are told to build. The fault lies with management.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Nv is surely doing a lot better than amd on the tech side and vice versa but what they foremost do better is driving a business.
It was most evident even in the days when nv was a very very small compagny and tipped 3dfx off. They are agressive and innovative and have top ceo in maniac hyperdrive :)

And btw 480 is priced at sweetspot. It sells as it at the same time is best value card on market bar none.

nVIDIA failed despite their good chip marketing on ARM. It got brutalized by Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Mediatek and Qualcomm.

Returning to topic: 480 has a high production, so sells well. I feel that 1060 will have the same issues thanks to Apple, Mediatek and VIA.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I bet the 1060 surpasses the 480 in sales by August 6th.
I bet not.
Perhaps/probably more ordered. Far less sold.
If nv can get shipments up it will surely outsell 480. I am not sure they can as everyone and his brother wants that 16nm. First hint is price.

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014

Only on this forum. smh.

we know for a fact AMD had tons of 480s for sale. several reports of tons of stock t microcenters, ocuk selling the same amount as they did over a month with pascal GPUs within a day or two. etc.

tl;dr we heard stock was low for pascal. we heard stock was good for 480.

Status
Not open for further replies.