RX 480 PC Crash issue (*Headache*)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rayniac

Oct 23, 2016
Hmm yeah. I'm still planning on getting the card. Now that I think about it, if this kind of thing happened to all RX 480s I would have read something about it much earlier already.

Brunnis

Nov 15, 2004
Update: My ASUS STRIX GTX 1060 arrived and installed it on the same PSU and having no problems at all like in the RX 480! All running fine, stress tests passed. So, the Drivers on the GPU turns out to be the problem (not the GPU).
Maybe I'm being thick, but why do you conclude that it was the drivers and not a hardware problem on the RX 480?

Reactions: ZGR

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Hmm yeah. I'm still planning on getting the card. Now that I think about it, if this kind of thing happened to all RX 480s I would have read something about it much earlier already.

I have had my XFX 480 GTR Black Edition since last December, very happy with mine and drivers in general, only one bug I have found with latest drivers in Elder Scrolls Online with grass flickering (either disable it in ESO settings or roll back to previous driver).

Note: Grass issue now FIXED with latest drivers.

Last edited:

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Maybe I'm being thick, but why do you conclude that it was the drivers and not a hardware problem on the RX 480?

The problem is not, nor has ever been, AMD drivers.

OP most likely broke their card doing a DIY backplate removal. Also much more likely than driver problems is that OP has other faulty hardware such as motherboard or PSU.

This thread is a classic "urban myth" scenario. The same thing which has, and continued to, propagate some fantasy about AMD having inferior drivers: ~OP hears people say X brand has worse drivers, OP has problems & thus tells everyone X brand has worse drivers. Repeat.~ In fact nVidia did have much better drivers 10 or 15 years ago. But this has turned into a bunch of misinformed dudes regurgitating old wisdom and noobs following suite because people like to jump on the bandwagon.

f1aw1ess1

Apr 11, 2017
I just wanted to chime in on this thread. The people going after the PSU are nuts and haven't done any research at all on this guys problem. I have a EVGA gold 750 PSU and still get the grey screen issue. Just look at the videos and google it for yourself.

You should buy beware this card as I am taking mine back today for a 1060. I bought an Asus rog whatever 8gb OC rx480. I am getting the grey screen crash on the game hots. I dont know if its the drivers or whatever but the card breaks the PCI E standard with power draw and this card line is faulty. It's not just a "dud off the line" there are "MANY DUDS" off the line

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I have a dozen RX 480s from four different manufacturers, reference and non-reference, backplated and no backplate. I've also used several for builds for friends.

OP got a dud (card should not have passed QA in ASUS factory), and it has nothing to do with AMD's drivers.

Reactions: Bacon1

f1aw1ess1

Apr 11, 2017
I have a dozen RX 480s from four different manufacturers, reference and non-reference, backplated and no backplate. I've also used several for builds for friends.

OP got a dud (card should not have passed QA in ASUS factory), and it has nothing to do with AMD's drivers.

Do yourself a favor and do a google search....I dont know why you deny this card is problematic for an higher than normal amount of people. Ill be enjoying my 1060 tonight

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Do yourself a favor and do a google search....I dont know why you deny this card is problematic for an higher than normal amount of people. Ill be enjoying my 1060 tonight

It's called shared psychosis.

Mostly due to noobs breaking their own computer, searching the web for an answer, and then latching on to something which sounds credible to believe it isn't their fault. Then they talk loudly about AMD cards on the internet. Rinse and repeat. Although for the record nVidia did actually have much better drivers in the early 2000's... So maybe all these posters are just living in the past? (man)

Heck even sometimes switching to nVidia will solve the problem, since the noobs underspecced their PSU, or cheaped on their motherboard which couldn't provide specced power, or like OP they broke their AMD GPU themselves and wanted to blame someone else.

f1aw1ess1

Apr 11, 2017
Be in denial all you want. Just search rx480 grey screen... then search 1060 grey screen (you wont find anything). It's a problem. And the reason why you wont admit it is because you dont have a solution like anyone else. I bought the card 2 days ago....Anyway....on the 1060 OC (only 60 bucks more and significantly better score on 3dmark and heaven) now so you people can believe what you want in your own little world outside of the internet, me, and op. Im done here

I don't mod my components and have been building PC's for over 15years.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Peace \/
This thread doesn't need to be shit-on AMD Radeon RX 480 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 comparison discussion that has been done to death.

lisandroch

Apr 19, 2017
Hi, I wanted to ask, while I apologize for my ignorance, could it be that my ASUS ROG Strix RX 480 OC gets too hot because I left the protective film on?

Last edited:

Geforce man

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2004
you mean that thin layer of plastic film that is on the surface of the heatsink assembly? No, thats never been a problem for me. I often leave it on and when I resell a card later down the road, it looks brand new (I don't have a case window so I could care less about how it looks)

lisandroch

Apr 19, 2017
you mean that thin layer of plastic film that is on the surface of the heatsink assembly? No, thats never been a problem for me. I often leave it on and when I resell a card later down the road, it looks brand new (I don't have a case window so I could care less about how it looks)

Yeah, that's the one. https://rog.asus.com/articles/gamin...480-now-with-satisfying-plastic-peeling-gifs/

I'm getting over 80°C, and some crashes (grey screens) while playing Mass Effect Andromeda for a while, and it's not even overclocked. On top of that, the fans make a very loud noise, even with a custom fan curve.

I don't know what to try anymore, I'm thinking I might have gotten a faulty GPU, and another one of these will work OK.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Yeah, that's the one. https://rog.asus.com/articles/gamin...480-now-with-satisfying-plastic-peeling-gifs/

I'm getting over 80°C, and some crashes (grey screens) while playing Mass Effect Andromeda for a while, and it's not even overclocked. On top of that, the fans make a very loud noise, even with a custom fan curve.

I don't know what to try anymore, I'm thinking I might have gotten a faulty GPU, and another one of these will work OK.

Sounds like something is wrong with your video card. My own XFX RX480 Black Edition which comes overclocked stays in 50s temp wise in a lot of games and the highest temp I've seen is 62c, fans don't even come on until 60c (which is normal), so yours at 80c does not sound right to me.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Be in denial all you want. Just search rx480 grey screen... then search 1060 grey screen (you wont find anything). It's a problem. And the reason why you wont admit it is because you dont have a solution like anyone else. I bought the card 2 days ago....Anyway....on the 1060 OC (only 60 bucks more and significantly better score on 3dmark and heaven) now so you people can believe what you want in your own little world outside of the internet, me, and op. Im done here

I don't mod my components and have been building PC's for over 15years.

Not had any issues with my XFX RX480 Black Edition (which is regarded as one of the best 480 in general) and I've played a lot of games with it now for nearly six months, as to grey screen well that can be caused by many things from faulty cards to PSU with insufficient power etc since we all have different hardware ( yes mine is a high quality Seasonic brand 850w) ,even bad case cooling especially with overclocked video cards with VRMs getting too hot or even faulty VRMS.

I think in my couple of decades of PC gaming only seen a couple of grey screens and that was only on one card, an old faulty 280x OC card (faulty VRMs).

End of the day if anybody has grey screen then something is at fault, btw even Nvidia cards can get grey screen of death, don't believe me try using Google, for the record I own cards from boths sides so giving my honest opinion here.