RX 480 PC Crash issue (*Headache*)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 31, 2017
That may well be true, but still doesn't mean that the OP's unit has no issues delivering more power when necessary through the PCIe connector which the RX 480 requires.

I recommended changing to the GTX 1060 because it typically won't consume more than 140W under maximum load, which should alleviate any issues the OP's PSU might have with regards to power draw, if that is indeed the case. A typical RX 480 can easily consume upto 200W, sometimes even more, if the ASIC quality is low.

I asked the OP if he wants to get a new PSU, and he didn't seem to respond to that, that is when I recommended him to return it and get the GTX 1060. Maybe I should have asked him again if he wants to change his PSU.

Hey pal, I couldn't not return/replace my PSU because the return time is over in Amazon. :( If there is time, I would have got EVGA 500W. I think it's a good pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2017
Hey pal, I couldn't not return/replace my PSU because the return time is over in Amazon. :( If there is time, I would have got EVGA 500B.

And, if you all pals suggest me to buy a GTX 1050Ti and replace the PSU as I can afford both with the Refunded amount. Should I do this? But, I really want a minimum of a GTX 1060 performance though, but you pals say. :) :p Is GTX 1050Ti enough for 1080p video editing and stuff? Is it really OK?

Jan 31, 2017
Also, I can compromise on Graphics performance and I just need my PC to get clear power to all of the components. So, I would buy an EVGA 550W G3 Fully Modular PSU and an EVGA GTX 1050Ti. This would be the decent build but the performance is decreased. I hope a GTX 1050Ti can handle all the current games at High-Ultra settings at at least 45 fps. What do you say guys?

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Concerning video editing and GPU, I do not know about the actual editing part, but the final part of encoding the video will be the almost identical on any Nvidia Pascal GPU, since they all contain the same video ASIC, with minor differences: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk#NVENCFeatures

My personal opinion on Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 [Ti] is that it is a pretty bad value (at MSRP); its only useful purpose is that it requires no additional power connectors.

Jan 31, 2017
Concerning video editing and GPU, I do not know about the actual editing part, but the final part of encoding the video will be the almost identical on any Nvidia Pascal GPU, since they all contain the same video ASIC, with minor differences: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk#NVENCFeatures

My personal opinion on Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 [Ti] is that it is a pretty bad value (at MSRP); its only useful purpose is that it requires no additional power connectors.

Oh alright. So, should I be replacing my PSU or is it enough? I have seen it's 80+ certified but unrated in the Official Website.

littleg

Jul 9, 2015
Oh alright. So, should I be replacing my PSU or is it enough? I have seen it's 80+ certified but unrated in the Official Website.

Forgive me if i've missed something here but there's a problem with your system and it looks to be either the PSU or the graphics card. There's no sense in replacing both if only one of them is broken, try the new GFX card first since you can already get a refund on that.

Reactions: Balakrishna Prasad

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
Yeah I don't get what the issue is anymore. You said you've RMA'd the GPU, so put it in and see if it works. Why with all the random questions? If you have other issues or want to ask for other things, create a new thread and make clear what the issue is. I don't even know what your issue is anymore if you rMA'd your graphic card.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013

Install it, and hope to have no issues. If a problem happens again in a few months, replace the PSU and hopefully the GPU will not be an issue. If the PSU caused damage, you can always RMA the card again.

Jan 31, 2017
Yeah I don't get what the issue is anymore. You said you've RMA'd the GPU, so put it in and see if it works. Why with all the random questions? If you have other issues or want to ask for other things, create a new thread and make clear what the issue is. I don't even know what your issue is anymore if you rMA'd your graphic card.

No pal. I didn't said I have RMA'd the card. I said, I returned the card on Amazon so that they will Refund me. I may be buying a new EVGA PSU and EVGA GPU with the Refunded amount. I don't like my PC to run with a cheap PSU. But also, I suspect the GPU (RX 480) not the PSU (Corsair VS650) that was causing the problem. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion and I'll be posting the status ASAP.

Brunnis

Nov 15, 2004
In my experience, this kind of issue is much more likely to be caused by a defective GPU (or a GPU being pushed too far) than anything else. I had a more or less identical issue with my Radeon R9 280X (Sapphire). It took anywhere from 1-60 minutes for the screen to go gray or red and the sound start buzzing/repeating. I tried pretty much everything on my end, but finally RMA'd the card to the retailer. Unfortunately, I got it back with a note saying that they couldn't reproduce the issue. A year later I upgraded my whole computer, except for the R9 280X, and lo and behold, the issue persisted. I once again RMA'd the card to the retailer and gave them a veeeery detailed troubleshooting report. This time they acknowledged the issue and replaced the card with an R9 390. :)

Jan 31, 2017
In my experience, this kind of issue is much more likely to be caused by a defective GPU (or a GPU being pushed too far) than anything else. I had a more or less identical issue with my Radeon R9 280X (Sapphire). It took anywhere from 1-60 minutes for the screen to go gray or red and the sound start buzzing/repeating. I tried pretty much everything on my end, but finally RMA'd the card to the retailer. Unfortunately, I got it back with a note saying that they couldn't reproduce the issue. A year later I upgraded my whole computer, except for the R9 280X, and lo and behold, the issue persisted. I once again RMA'd the card to the retailer and gave them a veeeery detailed troubleshooting report. This time they acknowledged the issue and replaced the card with an R9 390. :)

The Drivers may be the real issue for the AMD Cards. Many users (majority of AMD users) face this issue.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Sorry, I don't see how "driver issues" can be deduced from your links, apart from one about web browser hardware acceleration. The threads end with replace the [faulty] GPU.

Jan 31, 2017
Sorry, I don't see how "driver issues" can be deduced from your links, apart from one about web browser hardware acceleration. The threads end with replace the [faulty] GPU.

Yeah. Just pasted the links about many users experiencing the similar issue, assuming this as a Driver issues for myself.

Jan 31, 2017
maybe people should stop assuming and dont place false statements on forums.

I try hard to make no unnecessary, junk and false statements on the forums. I think that's not a 'False statement' though. Who knows, that may be the Driver issue. Nevermind! This forum may help a lot out there in giving information who also face this kind of weird issues.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I recently changed from a GTX 1060 to RX 480 since I bought a freesync monitor, and I'm getting a few crashes already when playing WoT (haven't tried many games yet). When it CTD it has a msg saying driver failed to load or something like that. I'm quite disappointed as the 1060 never crashed on me even once.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I recently changed from a GTX 1060 to RX 480 since I bought a freesync monitor, and I'm getting a few crashes already when playing WoT (haven't tried many games yet). When it CTD it has a msg saying driver failed to load or something like that. I'm quite disappointed as the 1060 never crashed on me even once.

If you have a spare harddisk, it might be worthwhile to whittle your machine down to just that disk with a fresh copy of Windows on it... and then verify if you still have the issue.

Before jumping to the "hardware is broke" conclusion, the more common problem is software related - possibly something related to old files left around from your prior card.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
That message often signifies a hardware failure due to heat.
Well I touched the backplate and it felt a bit too hot, touchable but uncomfortable hot. I already turn off the "0 fan speed" mode, maybe I need to figure out how to setup a more aggressive fan profile, and put some old video memory heatsinks that I have lying around on the backplate to help dissipate heat.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
If you have a spare harddisk, it might be worthwhile to whittle your machine down to just that disk with a fresh copy of Windows on it... and then verify if you still have the issue.

Before jumping to the "hardware is broke" conclusion, the more common problem is software related - possibly something related to old files left around from your prior card.
I already ran driver cleaner first before installing the new card, but it is still possible. It would be too much trouble, I'll see if it's heat related first. It doesn't happen often, maybe 3 time in 2 weeks, but today when it crashed it kept crashing the game until I restarted the machine and it has been stable since.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
I took the back-plate off from a PowerColor Radeon RX 480 4 GB Red Dragon because it conflicted with motherboard RAM latches. In my opinion and from the looks of the following image, the back-plate does not appear to have a useful purpose.
j7pj2Oa.jpg

[Camera focus is bad: I know]
Hot-to-touch (30-50 C) is not hot for electronics.

Jan 31, 2017
Oh, I didn't mention the heat test. I have also done testing my GPU (ASUS STRIX RX 480) at highest temperatures possible i.e., up to 93C Maximum. I have got a doubt on the temperatures first, however, the temperatures are not causing the crashes here. I turned off the fans on my GPU using 'MSI Afterburner' (in order to find out whether the temps are causing the issue) to '0' RPM and started to stress my GPU on FurMark. I saw the temps were moving up faster like 83C - 85C but yet didn't crashed. The weird thing is it crashes only in games after random few minutes of playing (at normal temperatures). And when keeping an eye on the temps on 'HW Monitor' while stressing, my PC turned itself off after reaching 90C (sometimes 92C) and this happened many times at that specific 90C temperature. This is not a crash though, it's just the safety Auto-shutoff feature. I believe the temperatures aren't surely the cause of the crashes unless around 90C.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2017
Update: My ASUS STRIX GTX 1060 arrived and installed it on the same PSU and having no problems at all like in the RX 480! All running fine, stress tests passed. So, the Drivers on the GPU turns out to be the problem (not the GPU).