RX 480 PC Crash issue (*Headache*)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 31, 2017
As long as it is powered by a 6-pin connector it should be alright. If you're from India, then Zotac is usually the best in terms of warranty and price.

Alright. Thank you for the help. :) But, I don't know why other users also face the same issue like I'm am. What about the quality of the ZOTAC cards and cooling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Alright. Thank you for the help. :) But, I don't know why other users also face the same issue like I'm am. What about the quality of the ZOTAC cards and cooling?

Zotac is good. It is very popular in India, you can say that it's as popular as EVGA is in the US.

I'm not sure about the problem you're having with the RX 480, but I'm inclined to believe its related to power delivery.

Reactions: Balakrishna Prasad
Jan 31, 2017
Zotac is good. It is very popular in India, you can say that it's as popular as EVGA is in the US.

I'm not sure about the problem you're having with the RX 480, but I'm inclined to believe its related to power delivery.

I'm really disappointed as this is my first ever built PC. I must have took some time in picking up a good PSU though. I chose RX 480 because of its features like DX12, Vulkan and Async but I didn't know it requires more power that my PSU can't handle it. Anyway, thanks pal.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
As a last ditch effort before blaming the graphics card, run something like Prime95 to re-test the CPU/RAM isolated from the GPU and make sure those aren't the culprits. I'd hate to have you get a new card, only to have the same issue again.

Jan 31, 2017
As a last ditch effort before blaming the graphics card, run something like Prime95 to re-test the CPU/RAM isolated from the GPU and make sure those aren't the culprits. I'd hate to have you get a new card, only to have the same issue again.

Alright, I will run them again. I think I need to blame my PSU first.

I don't know, right now I'm on my PC, re-installed WINDOWS 10 freshly. It is weirdly slow and lagging sometimes! It's like 1GB of RAM. I mean even after fresh install? (Also happened before). I reset my BIOs and cleared the CMOS. Is this could be a cause of bad PSU or else something? No GPU is installed.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Have you tried pulling the GPU and running on the onboard graphics? While not an ideal test, it would really only help you rule out memory. I doubt power draw would be anywhere near as high.

Also a 600w+ PSU is plenty enough for either RX480 or GTX1060, I think what is being questioned is the quality of the particular unit you received. Once you start building and you stick with it, I think naturally you'll have an extra PSU or 2 for testing this particular problem. It can happen, but generally is more frequent with no-brand names or "budget lines" from brand names.

Jan 31, 2017
Have you tried pulling the GPU and running on the onboard graphics? While not an ideal test, it would really only help you rule out memory. I doubt power draw would be anywhere near as high.

Also a 600w+ PSU is plenty enough for either RX480 or GTX1060, I think what is being questioned is the quality of the particular unit you received. Once you start building and you stick with it, I think naturally you'll have an extra PSU or 2 for testing this particular problem. It can happen, but generally is more frequent with no-brand names or "budget lines" from brand names.

I have tried everything pal. No problems while using iGPU. Nope, I don't have any extra PSU to test out. Currently, I am using my PC without GPU. I re-installed Windows 10 and is acting weird right now. No apps installed just installed the Drivers. Is PSU a cause?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I have tried everything pal. No problems while using iGPU. Nope, I don't have any extra PSU to test out. Currently, I am using my PC without GPU. I re-installed Windows 10 and is acting weird right now. No apps installed just installed the Drivers. Is PSU a cause?

PSU is a possible cause. Based on this I would start with a replacement GPU. It's hard to know for certain without either a spare known working video card or a spare known working PSU. So, you have to take your pick and go with it.

Jan 31, 2017
PSU is a possible cause. Based on this I would start with a replacement GPU. It's hard to know for certain without either a spare known working video card or a spare known working PSU. So, you have to take your pick and go with it.

Pal! Just now, got some BSOD error! Indicating 'BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG' after reboot. I'm feeling really bad. It's my new PC! Been on my PC since morning figuring out the problems.

Jan 31, 2017
Pal! Just now, got some BSOD error! Indicating 'BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG' after reboot. I'm feeling really bad. It's my new PC! Been on my PC since morning figuring out the problems.

Nevermind! Everything is fine unless I use the GPU.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
As a last-ditch effort, before you replace the card, you can try this - if the card came with a dual 6-pin to 8-pin adapter, and I think the ASUS STRIX does, could you try to see if connecting both the PCI-e connectors from your PSU to the card helps in any way?

Jan 31, 2017
As a last-ditch effort, before you replace the card, you can try this - if the card came with a dual 6-pin to 8-pin adapter, and I think the ASUS STRIX does, could you try to see if connecting both the PCI-e connectors from your PSU to the card helps in any way?

No pal, I didn't get any adapters with 'STRIX'. And I tried both the PCI-e connectors that came from my PSU. Nothing worked. I have already returned my card and I'm not willing to replace it. I want to get 'ZOTAC GTX 1060'. I think the RX 480 is a faulty card which requires more Driver Development efforts. Thank you for your suggestion. :)

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Jan 31, 2017
Lol :confused:

My specific data point: I have a PowerColor Radeon RX 480 4 GB Red Dragon with power supply Rosewill Valens-500 grinding energy-intensive RC5 well: http://moowrap.net/show_host_detail.php?hostid=732334 and its tasks.

Anyway, if you insist on ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060, I suggest the AMP! Edition with 2 fans to maintain high Nvidia GPU Boost frequency.

Yeah, I chose 'AMP! Edition'. So, you are saying, you have not experienced any crash even with 500W PSU. Am I right? :p

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
So is it a faulty GPU I have got? :p But why the amount of power doesn't matter?

Typical load power (W): 65 (CPU) + 150 (GPU) + 50 (rest of system: RAM, motherboard, storage, etc.) = 265: lots of headroom in power.

Although I did say amount of power is not an issue, power supply still cannot be ruled out: harder to check is quality of power.

Anyway, if you get a new GPU and similar issues come up, power supply is a likely culprit.

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
So, GTX 1060 can be handled by my PSU? I am thinking to buy a ZOTAC GTX 1060 6GB. Is that good or else should I choose MSI?

That is nonsense, don't listen to him! The PSU can deliver up to 50A or 600W on that V12 rail. Its 99.9% your GPU. You've gotten a faulty one, it happens quite often actually. Just RMA it.

Jan 31, 2017
That is nonsense, don't listen to him! The PSU can deliver up to 50A or 600W on that V12 rail. Its 99.9% your GPU. You've gotten a faulty one, it happens quite often actually. Just RMA it.

I honestly doubt my GPU. Major people who owns RX 480 are facing this issue. No matter what GPU Brand. I have seen videos on YouTube, and some guy who uses 850W from Corsair is still facing the same issue like me! So, it's not the PSU, Mobo or anything, it's the GPU as you said. I have tried many things until my two hair pieces fell off (Tested very hard). It's really a mystery why many users are experiencing the same! I doubt the 'AMD's RX 480', there's something weird going on with the cards. I am really disappointed with AMD. :(

Jan 31, 2017
Typical load power (W): 65 (CPU) + 150 (GPU) + 50 (rest of system: RAM, motherboard, storage, etc.) = 265: lots of headroom in power.

Although I did say amount of power is not an issue, power supply still cannot be ruled out: harder to check is quality of power.

Anyway, if you get a new GPU and similar issues come up, power supply is a likely culprit.

Alright, will check out and post the reply after the test. :)

Jan 31, 2017
Did you try switching the PCI-E slot?

Oops pal, I don't have room in my case to fit the card in the other PCI-e slot which is nearer to the drive bay. Anyway, I've returned my card and getting a NVIDIA Card as soon as I get my refund.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
The one common theme I keep hearing is people disregarding a product failure. Just because PSU is rated for such, and should work, doesn't mean it wasn't defective. Just like GPU's, PSU's can fail.

On a new build, it's really tough when something doesn't work right, as everything is new. If you still have the system you had prior, you could use parts from that system to test things out. Without spare parts, this is a very difficult diagnosis.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

I honestly doubt my GPU. Major people who owns RX 480 are facing this issue. No matter what GPU Brand. I have seen videos on YouTube, and some guy who uses 850W from Corsair is still facing the same issue like me! So, it's not the PSU, Mobo or anything, it's the GPU as you said. I have tried many things until my two hair pieces fell off (Tested very hard). It's really a mystery why many users are experiencing the same! I doubt the 'AMD's RX 480', there's something weird going on with the cards. I am really disappointed with AMD. :(

Please keep in mind that not all PSUs are made to the same quality, some are trash and have fun effects such as:
Coil Whine
Failure @80% rated capacity
Fire hazard
Completely incorrect voltage delivery
And much more...

That power supply in question (Corsair VS650 650W) doesn't appear to be purchasable from the US newegg, (and in fact I can only find it on amazon.in) which raises a few eyebrows, and would encourage me to not purchase it. I'd personally be eyeballing that thing very closely.