Russia sanctions has just passed Congress. Will Trump sign?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Will Trump sign the sanctions bill?

• Trump will sign into law

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Trump will veto

Votes: 26 70.3%

• Total voters

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I pity Trump for the awful awful fix his insatiable greed, his arrogance, his narcissism and his life of high faloot'in entitled privileges have gotten himself into. Yeh, heh, sure.

I even pity all of those folks who voted for this incompetent bragocious asshole and now have to live with the guilt and humiliation from their complicity in having Trump being in charge of a nation of which his only interest is in ransacking and looting it to his heart's content. What a coincidence that it's the only thing he's been doing his whole adult life. Yeh, I pity those folks. Yeh, heh.

And now, among other self-anointing perks, he's very very hard at work at blessing himself with hefty tax cuts and more bountiful loopholes for himself and his fellow billionaires. And he's going to do it by cutting essential social services, health care and hollowing out agencies that protect the interests and welfare of the very folks who put him in office. What a guy, huh?

But oh shit, he's going to have to somehow squirm and worm his way through all of the investigations, sanctions that conflict with his personal interests, allegations and tax avoidance schemes he's generously left a clear trail to. And oh yeah, those self-inflicted cuts and contusions he's managed to tweet himself with. Who knew a guy could commit political suicide like that?

Please, somebody tell me why he's still garnering a 35+ approval rating. <----(a question to the heavens of the rhetorical rant variety).

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Thank you for your sober legal assessment, your honor, judge Festus.

Well Im just bringin' some common sense to this thread. The Democrats and their Russian nonsense is nothing more than an attempt bog down Trump's agenda. In reality, nobody cares.

b-mac

Jun 15, 2015
Well Im just bringin' some common sense to this thread. The Democrats and their Russian nonsense is nothing more than an attempt bog down Trump's agenda. In reality, nobody cares.

Man there is a lot of dumb shit posted on these forums.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

You catch the latest Trump NYT interview? Is the term cunning linguist what pops into your mind when describing his interview riffs?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Option 3: Trump will huff and puff and make a big deal and find some bullshit way to avoid the bill, then declare victory over the Dems and So Much Winning. He'll go on a tour of all the so-called Red States and remind people how awesome he is and how theres no collusion with Russia.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

Then why does Trump seem to care so much about it? If he and his clan are so innocent, why not let the investigations go about their business without tweeting how unfair they are every damned day? Instead, perhaps pay attention to getting something done?

Instead, you've got a group that's crying bloody murder about the investigations. So, what have they got to hide? Really seems to most people that if you've got nothing hide or to find, let the investigations churn away. They'd eventually play out and be forgotten.....if there's no fire behind the smoke wall Trump keeps throwing up.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Then why does Trump seem to care so much about it? If he and his clan are so innocent, why not let the investigations go about their business without tweeting how unfair they are every damned day? Instead, perhaps pay attention to getting something done?

Instead, you've got a group that's crying bloody murder about the investigations. So, what have they got to hide? Really seems to most people that if you've got nothing hide or to find, let the investigations churn away. They'd eventually play out and be forgotten.....if there's no fire behind the smoke wall Trump keeps throwing up.

You have a point. Amongst all presidents this is the only one we've had that feels the need to be constantly defensive. Of course, he was this way long before becoming president. Anyone who said anything negative about him could usually expect a reply, no matter how many times the subject went back and forth, he usually wants the last word.

I suspect nothing will change.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You have a point. Amongst all presidents this is the only one we've had that feels the need to be constantly defensive. Of course, he was this way long before becoming president. Anyone who said anything negative about him could usually expect a reply, no matter how many times the subject went back and forth, he usually wants the last word.

Yes, Yes- It's obvious that such thin-skinned petty vindictiveness made him excellent Presidential material, isn't it?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The most likely option in my view is a pocket veto. Trump takes no action for ten days If Congress adjourns during that ten days then the bill is dead, Congress has to start all over when they go back into session.

This would be a win-win for Congressional GOP and Trump. Both get to grandstand-Congressional GOP can say they stood up to Trump and made it clear what they want. Trump gets to be the strong executive standing up to Congress and he is not bound by the bill. Heck Trump may even claim the special prosecutor is not required anymore and take steps to fire him.

My prediction is about 90% chance it playing out this way. In other words this is a dog and pony show, nothing more.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'm testing the Trump can't be this stupid limit by saying he will sign it. Otherwise, he admits to his collusion with the Russians. Cause I know how to connect the real dots. Not Bengazi dots.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm testing the Trump can't be this stupid limit by saying he will sign it. Otherwise, he admits to his collusion with the Russians. Cause I know how to connect the real dots. Not Bengazi dots.

Nah easy spin is ignore the Russia part and focus on Iran like,
"I told Congress to get tough on Iran since Obama was so weak on them. Now Iran knows we're being tough!"

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Firing Comey had nothing to do with Trump being thin skinned. Comey had never criticized him in public. Trump admitted he fired him because of the investigation. This is not the behavior of an innocent person. Maybe Trump didn't break any laws, but if so, he needs to consider how an innocent person would behave, which is the opposite of how he has behaved this entire time, and do that instead.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The most likely option in my view is a pocket veto. Trump takes no action for ten days If Congress adjourns during that ten days then the bill is dead, Congress has to start all over when they go back into session.

This would be a win-win for Congressional GOP and Trump. Both get to grandstand-Congressional GOP can say they stood up to Trump and made it clear what they want. Trump gets to be the strong executive standing up to Congress and he is not bound by the bill. Heck Trump may even claim the special prosecutor is not required anymore and take steps to fire him.

My prediction is about 90% chance it playing out this way. In other words this is a dog and pony show, nothing more.

Possible, but I think Trump is going to sign it. I don't think he has that much choice. A similar bill passed the Senate 98-2 and the one voted on by the House tomorrow is expected to pass with a filibuster proof majority. Assuming Congress does not designate an agent to receive veto notices during the adjournment, which they have frequently done in the past, he could pocket veto and make them start again. But he has already said he's going to sign it. While he may well break that promise and do something stupid - he's more than capable - I'm betting that he'll sign this out of political necessity.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The Senate is going to have to vote on it again (after the House vote) in order to have a valid bill to present to the President for signature. Congress is going to adjourn for their summer recess very soon. If Trump signs this it will be the first significant bill he has signed into law since taking office-a fact I'm sure many TV commentators will delight in rubbing in his face.

I still place my bet on a pocket veto, especially if he has a secret side deal with Mcconnell and/or Ryan not to bring the bill back up.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It's so easy for Congress to prevent the pocket veto though, just by designating an agent during adjournment. If they do not do this, and Trump pocket vetoes, it's going to be super obvious that Trump colluded with McConell and Ryan to not pass this bill. We'll see.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
It's so easy for Congress to prevent the pocket veto though, just by designating an agent during adjournment. If they do not do this, and Trump pocket vetoes, it's going to be super obvious that Trump colluded with McConell and Ryan to not pass this bill. We'll see.

Super obvious to people who know the procedures. To the vast majority Ryan or McConnell would have simply made a mistake and gotten outsmarted by Trump (man, that would hurt). But this is all speculation-let's see if the new version actually gets voted on by the House and Senate first.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
LOL more distractions for the masses.

This Russia story .... it's perfect to keep the Democrats and Republican masses fighting each other.

I'm thinking the politicians and the elites are laughing looking at the masses take this stuff seriously.

Feb 4, 2009
LOL more distractions for the masses.

This Russia story .... it's perfect to keep the Democrats and Republican masses fighting each other.

I'm thinking the politicians and the elites are laughing looking at the masses take this stuff seriously.

Lordy

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Ah, let's just forget that our country was attacked and open up another Hillary-Benghazi thread. How many have Republicans opened and closed??

Oh I know something lemmings care about, Obama born in Kenya.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I think he'll sign it, then bitch about it on Twitter.

It'll pass Congress by a veto proof majority, so Trump vetoing it would lead to a GOP civil war.

This.

Haven't been following, but I don't he'll have room to maneuver so long as Congress is strongly for it.

He'll work back channels, complain, distract, but ultimately fold.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
That depends on what kind of a squeeze Putin has on the guy... if its nuclear he will go full retard before signing anything.