Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 937 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Yeah rumours are swirling atm. AFU have counter attacked below Bakhmut, but could be a wider operation to help forces in Bakhmut to withdraw.

Apparently Russia is moving its offensive up on its timeline. It wants a momentum before Western tanks and Bradleys arrive. 150k Russia soldiers are on, or near the entire Eastern front according to some media.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
That's pretty good up from like a dozen per year. Nexter's order book for these stretches at least three years even at the higher rate of production, not including any deliveries to Ukraine.

I had not realized what an upgrade the 8x8 version was from the 6x6. These are the guns Denmark are giving to Ukraine.

Yeah quite a rig, 8x8 AWD with independent suspension, also nearly twice the ammo. Do we know what loading system on those? Is it the 4-5 man crew version? The generosity of the Danes continues to impress. May those sweet puppies never want for ammo. I wonder what they support them with.

Archer went 8x8 too, but they have that support vehicle so onboard 21 + up to 100 rounds. That's a lot a shootin for the scootin.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Presumably the Ukrainians will selectively go on offensive to ensure safe withdrawal of troops and assets, as usual, while inflicting maximum cost on the Russians.

I do think the Russians pushed things up trying to get ahead of the larger arms deliveries that are coming.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
This is representative of the videos I've seen coming out of Russian assault attempts towards Vuhledar.

Going very very poorly for well equipped/manned Russian units.

Kind'a funny how some of the comments on the image are confusing "smoked" with "smoking". See what you want to see I guess. What I see are blast marks on the ground surrounding some of the hulls with others most likely having their crews abandoning their rides to get out of the kill zone quickie quickie. Last place you want to be is in a vehicle that's already been targeted.

edit - Meaning you can't fight what you can't see and there's nowhere to run and hide so you know, GTFO Now or die.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Kind'a funny how some of the comments on the image are confusing "smoked" with "smoking". See what you want to see I guess. What I see are blast marks on the ground surrounding some of the hulls with others most likely having their crews abandoning their rides to get out of the kill zone quickie quickie. Last place you want to be is in a vehicle that's already been targeted.

Russian vehicle crews seem to bunch up and bail quickly when things start to go sideways. Presumably this results from a lack of training and experience.

Reactions: Ajay and Leeea

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Ran across this video with some insights into how the new armor could come into play in Ukraine.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Do the west have any plans as to how we're gonna stomp out Belarus if they come around that way?

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Do the west have any plans as to how we're gonna stomp out Belarus if they come around that way?
That way is now heavily mined and fortified. It won't be a simple drive down a highway like last time.

There is also a question mark about what the Belarusian forces would do if they receive the order to attack Ukraine.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
And this is the news I don't like to hear. European countries rewarding Israel for not supplying weapons to Ukraine.

They're hardly doing it to "reward Israel." The artillery system is an upgrade for Denmark. Countries are known to upgrade their hardware from time to time. Denmark was smart here - they took the opportunity to upgrade by donating their existing stuff rather than mothballing it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They're hardly doing it to "reward Israel." The artillery system is an upgrade for Denmark. Countries are known to upgrade their hardware from time to time. Denmark was smart here - they took the opportunity to upgrade by donating their existing stuff rather than mothballing it.

Denmark's Caesar 8x8s are literally brand new and still coming off the line at Nexter.

I'm willing to bet that it's more a matter of delivery timelines. Israel might have also needed to waive re-export limitations to make the sale.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Detailed reporting on the ongoing battle for Bakhmut.
Russians continue to push the front and both flanks.
Ukrainians are falling back to the west side of the river splitting the city.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Looks like Ukraine is steadily retreating West in the Donbas. Bleeding Russia with every step backwards. Huge losses for Russia yesterday both in terms of personnel and equipment.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
You really have to wonder wtf is wrong with these guys if they don't seem to care much about grenades dropped in their laps. Low morale, booze, the cold, drugs... probably a Heinz 57 of suck and fail.

NSFL warning: Catch

• Wow
Reactions: Tsinni Dave