Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 935 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
So Germany is going to send a lot of Leopard 1s. Out of idle curiosity, does anyone know if those things are still viable? Aren't they decidedly out-dated by now? If they end up going up against T62s I suppose it might be an even match.

Some of them are from the Danish army. Those who used them said the have good weapon systems, good mobility and easy maintenance but crappy armor. So good support tanks, but don't get hit.

Reactions: Leeea and RnR_au

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I agree. This is not a US problem.

You're right, but there is NO reason for the US to get involved. Have we learned nothing from sticking our noses in other countries' squabbles?

Exactly. Our military should ONLY be used to defend our shores and borders...not be the Police Force of the World.

So if China/Russia decided to take down a democracy at a time where would your allies be when you needed them?

I can understand why you don't want to fight wars all over the world and loose American lives, but if we do not stand up to Russia and China, I believe were going to loose in the long run.

Reactions: cytg111 and Bitek

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
The irony of priests blessing weapons of war... :D

Nothing surprises me anymore..

I was in Asia and me and my then girlfriend (now wife) just bought a new bike.

As per tradition she had to get a buddhist monk to bless the bike so she would have protection and insurance against bad luck.

After we were done, I told her to get on the bike and run the bike full speed into a brick wall.

She looked at me confused and asked why??

I answered I wanted to see how good the protection and insurance we were buying was..

She rolled her eyes and called me an idiot! Later she married me!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So Germany is going to send a lot of Leopard 1s. Out of idle curiosity, does anyone know if those things are still viable? Aren't they decidedly out-dated by now? If they end up going up against T62s I suppose it might be an even match.

If you're going to use it for indirect fire or as an assault gun its more than fine.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Leopard 1's? Bah. The Abrams won't be there until the end of the year, and if what I'm reading is correct, the turning point in this war will be in the next 6 months.

Reactions: Leeea and cytg111

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

i'm guessing they're going to be used like Bradleys?
ie: going up against infantry and light armor, not mbt's. (unless they are planning on using leo 1's to ram russian tanks?)

Reactions: Leeea

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

The fact that people in this country don't even bring up the idea of ending this was in a negotiation just shows how propagandized they are by mainstream media. If you don't hear Rachel Maddow, Don Lemon, Morning Joe, Wolf Blitzer or any other propagandist pushing the idea, the public won't either. Sad!

What is this "negotiated peace deal" you think is possible, that is also Ukraine not surrendering, that is available right now?

Zero serious people are discussing invading and overthrowing the Kremlin, so of course it ends in a peace agreement.

Therefore it ends when Russia is tired of invading. That's either when: A. they've taken what they've wanted, or B. they are getting the shit kicked out of them and want it to stop.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
i'm guessing they're going to be used like Bradleys?
ie: going up against infantry and light armor, not mbt's. (unless they are planning on using leo 1's to ram russian tanks?)

leo 1’s are not that bad of tanks, especially when facing T62’s and T72’s. Also literally every tank is vulnerable to the modern ATGM’s anyways.

There hasn’t been much tank on tank combat in Ukraine anyways.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
leo 1’s are not that bad of tanks, especially when facing T62’s and T72’s. Also literally every tank is vulnerable to the modern ATGM’s anyways.

There hasn’t been much tank on tank combat in Ukraine anyways.
but does russia have modern atgm's? (ie: top attack)

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
All I have done in this thread is simply state the reasons for the invasion.

are we going to make the Ukrainians fight to the last Ukrainian like Lindsey Graham wants?

Sad!

Why do you want this to end?

The Russkies are winning.. don't you know it's all nazi propaganda by Kyiv.

All 102 HIMARS supplied were destroyed by the 2nd best army in the world only minutes after they were delivered.

The claims by the nazi regime in Kyiv as to all these HIMARS successes are just propaganda!

Dude you should be travelling off to celebrate Putin's success with the great Russkie Army in Ukraine err Russia! Come on DAVAI!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007

Sure they did 🙄
did yuri fall for the plywood nasams gag again?
Fc9BkrBXEAE0eF5.png

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Why do you want this to end?

The Russkies are winning.. don't you know it's all nazi propaganda by Kyiv.

All 102 HIMARS supplied were destroyed by the 2nd best army in the world only minutes after they were delivered.

The claims by the nazi regime in Kyiv as to all these HIMARS successes are just propaganda!

Dude you should be travelling off to celebrate Putin's success with the great Russkie Army in Ukraine err Russia! Come on DAVAI!
I think it’s very funny how the Russians convinced themselves they were the second best army in the world and bragged about it only to see their ‘second best army’ completely bodied by a relatively poor country.

Although that’s kind of the most Russia thing ever. They want to be a big player but they are too corrupt and incompetent to do it.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I think it’s very funny how the Russians convinced themselves they were the second best army in the world and bragged about it only to see their ‘second best army’ completely bodied by a relatively poor country.

Although that’s kind of the most Russia thing ever. They want to be a big player but they are too corrupt and incompetent to do it.
You know for the last 20 years or so Russia has been 'attacking' the intellect; and I think this is partially a result of the brain drain. Of course in the US now we have a certain party 'attacking' the intellect (and attempting to co-op schools) so I wonder what long term impact that will have....

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Sure they did 🙄

I think my favorite is when they claimed to have destroyed an M142 by showing a PGM strike on the second floor of like an office building.