Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 936 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Whoa! GLSDB smart bombs won't arrive for 9 months.

There is some amount of strategic deception at work here. Boeing reportedly initiated production months ago on the interstage adapters and all that has to be done is have Lockheed stuff the mated rounds into pods and update launcher software to recognize the new munition.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I've been wondering about the crazy amount of various arms that have been shipped to Ukraine. I was starting to try and get a list myself but fortunately wikipedia came to my rescue. Mechanics and logistics officers are going to have their hands full for a long time. The below are all in addition to all the stuff Ukraine already had or has taken from the Russians

8 new RPG types
4 new anti tank missile types
6 new types of manpads

Tanks:
5 countries supplying various Soviet style tanks
Leopard 1, Leopard 2, Challenger 2, Abrams tanks

IFVs (6 new types beyond all the Sovier\Russian versions they already had):
AMX-10RC, BVP M-80, Marder, Bradley, CV9040

APCs (11):
YPR-765, Spartan, Sultan, Bulldog, M113, VAB, ACSV, M1117, Stryker, Patria Pasi, TAB-71M

IMVs (24):
Brushmaster, Roshel Senator, Iveco LMV, Iveco VM90P, AMZ Bzik, URO VAMTAC, Snatch Land Rover, Saxon, Alvis 4, Mastiff, Wolfdound, Couger, M1224, Husky, LTV, Humvee, MLS SHield, BMC Kirpi, ATF Dingo, BATT UMG, Gaia Amir, MSPV Patheram, INKAS Titan-S, ACMAT

Mortars, Artillery (21):
Bars-8MMK, Panzermorser M113, Mod 56, M101, L118, TRF1, FH-70, M777, ShKV vz 77 DANA, CAESAR, Pzh 2000, RCH-155, AHS Krab, ShKH Zuzana, M109, Archer, AS-90, RM-70, M270, M142 HIMARS, TLRG-230

Not to mention all the anti aircraft, radar, transport, generic trucks, trailers, and recovery vehicles

Reactions: Zorba

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I've been wondering about the crazy amount of various arms that have been shipped to Ukraine. I was starting to try and get a list myself but fortunately wikipedia came to my rescue. Mechanics and logistics officers are going to have their hands full for a long time. The below are all in addition to all the stuff Ukraine already had or has taken from the Russians

8 new RPG types
6 new types of manpads

Tanks:

APCs (11):
YPR-765, Spartan, Sultan, Bulldog, M113, VAB, ACSV, M1117, Stryker, Patria Pasi, TAB-71M

IMVs (24):
Brushmaster, Roshel Senator, Iveco LMV, Iveco VM90P, AMZ Bzik, URO VAMTAC, Snatch Land Rover, Saxon, Alvis 4, Mastiff, Wolfdound, Couger, M1224, Husky, LTV, Humvee, MLS SHield, BMC Kirpi, ATF Dingo, BATT UMG, Gaia Amir, MSPV Patheram, INKAS Titan-S, ACMAT

Mortars, Artillery (21):
Bars-8MMK, Panzermorser M113, Mod 56, M101, L118, TRF1, FH-70, M777, ShKV vz 77 DANA, CAESAR, Pzh 2000, RCH-155, AHS Krab, ShKH Zuzana, M109, Archer, AS-90, RM-70, M270, M142 HIMARS, TLRG-230

Not to mention all the anti aircraft, radar, transport, generic trucks, trailers, and recovery vehicles

Whenever the war ends Ukraine is going to want to pare this down a lot for training standardization but they're almost certainly going to store everything in a ready state given *gestures in general direction of Russia*.

As a side benefit western militaries and defense companies are receiving unprecedented experience that will inform future weapons development choices.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Not far off - a quarter of the nation. And yes the 1930s weren't "during WW2" but then again we aren't quite in WW3 now.

Dubbed "The Radio Priest", he was one of the first political leaders to use radio to reach a mass audience. During the 1930s, when the U.S. population was about 120 million, an estimated 30 million listeners tuned to his weekly broadcasts.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Whenever the war ends Ukraine is going to want to pare this down a lot for training standardization but they're almost certainly going to store everything in a ready state given *gestures in general direction of Russia*.

As a side benefit western militaries and defense companies are receiving unprecedented experience that will inform future weapons development choices.
Oh for sure. They could also start a museum that would put Bovington to shame

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Oh for sure. They could also start a museum that would put Bovington to shame

If the Ukrainians end up putting it all in bunkers in the Carpathians like the Norwegians have in Trondheim I'd certainly pay to visit.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

8 new RPG types
6 new types of manpads

Tanks:

APCs (11):

IMVs (24):

Mortars, Artillery (21):

i hope ukr gives some of the stuff back at the end of the war, especially the bigger items like tanks and infantry vehicles.

ie: where are they going to store it where it wont rust?

and other issues (spare parts/ammo/training) if they have to use it again in the future.
maybe pare down everything to 2 or 3 types in each category.
ie: mbt's of just russian Txx and Leo 2s

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
i hope ukr gives some of the stuff back at the end of the war, especially the bigger items like tanks and infantry vehicles.

ie: where are they going to store it where it wont rust?

and other issues (spare parts/ammo/training) if they have to use it again in the future.
maybe pare down everything to 2 or 3 types in each category.
ie: mbt's = russian Txx and Leo 2s

Nordic nations would probably be quite happy to help them mine climate controlled storage bunkers for all of it. Ammunition, properly stored, will last many decades and I'd expect them to produce vast stockpiles for their future security.

Jul 27, 2020
Of course in the US now we have a certain party 'attacking' the intellect (and attempting to co-op schools) so I wonder what long term impact that will have....
Trump gets re-elected in 2024 and immediately launches a full scale offensive on Canada.

"Those Canadians have taken everything from us for far too long! It's time to take Canada back and make it great again!"

Putin sends his warships to assist in the offensive.

Canadians, being the peaceful creatures that they are, migrate in droves to Alaska and Greenland.

Trump declares America great again and threatens Mexico.

Mexico is backed by the entire South American continent and Trump spends the rest of his term giving weekly speeches over the mountain of body bags of American soldiers coming from the Mexican border. It's not that big a deal coz majority of those soldiers are black/hispanic and other minorities that Trump conscripts to support his war effort.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
What is this "negotiated peace deal" you think is possible, that is also Ukraine not surrendering, that is available right now?

Zero serious people are discussing invading and overthrowing the Kremlin, so of course it ends in a peace agreement.

Therefore it ends when Russia is tired of invading. That's either when: A. they've taken what they've wanted, or B. they are getting the shit kicked out of them and want it to stop.

It's a noble effort, man, but I don't think you'll be able to educate YoungAsshopper.

Reactions: zinfamous

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Make America Great Again: Support Ukraine

I hadn't known this piece of history, from 1947, just after WWll. It stirred me to know there was a time when we were more united in doing the right thing, before "greed is good" became a dominant ethos. I don't want to oversell all this, since it was just after the war so more Americans than ever before knew we had a part to play in the world. But like I said, it stirred me.

Some excerpts:

"As the winter of 1947 approached, millions of Europeans faced mass starvation. A combination of wartime destruction, postwar drought, and the coldest winter in memory was damaging production. By the close of September 1947, the U.S. State Department was reporting that Italy and France were in danger of total collapse, which would trigger a cascade of calamities across the continent. The next three months would be critical. The United States had already sent as much surplus grain as it had available, but Europe needed an additional roughly 100 million bushels before Christmas to avoid apocalypse."

"Then-U.S. President Harry Truman could not stomach the idea of allowing millions of people to starve if he could possibly prevent it. So much had been sacrificed throughout the war, so many lives had been shattered and lost, and now starvation threatened to destroy the hard-won peace."

"Somehow, that extra 100 million bushels would have to be found. And Americans would need to find it in less than 100 days."

[Read how Truman, with Armand Hammer's help, got the distillers, the last to do so, to pitch in. Very cool!]

The article ends:
"The overwhelming support for Ukraine has shown that Americans can still unite behind those people in need. There will always be selfish America-firsters, indifferent to the suffering of others, but most Americans still want to do the right thing. They just need their leaders to show them how."

Last edited:

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Make America Great Again: Support Ukraine

I hadn't known this piece of history, from 1947, just after WWll. It stirred me to know there was a time when we were more united in doing the right thing, before "greed is good" became a dominant ethos. I don't want to oversell all this, since it was just after the war so more Americans than ever before knew we had a part to play in the world. But like I said, it stirred me.

Some excerpts:

"As the winter of 1947 approached, millions of Europeans faced mass starvation. A combination of wartime destruction, postwar drought, and the coldest winter in memory was damaging production. By the close of September 1947, the U.S. State Department was reporting that Italy and France were in danger of total collapse, which would trigger a cascade of calamities across the continent. The next three months would be critical. The United States had already sent as much surplus grain as it had available, but Europe needed an additional roughly 100 million bushels before Christmas to avoid apocalypse."

"Then-U.S. President Harry Truman could not stomach the idea of allowing millions of people to starve if he could possibly prevent it. So much had been sacrificed throughout the war, so many lives had been shattered and lost, and now starvation threatened to destroy the hard-won peace."

"Somehow, that extra 100 million bushels would have to be found. And Americans would need to find it in less than 100 days.}

[Read how Truman, with Armand Hammer's help, got the distillers, the last to do so, to pitch in. Very cool!]

The article ends:
"The overwhelming support for Ukraine has shown that Americans can still unite behind those people in need. There will always be selfish America-firsters, indifferent to the suffering of others, but most Americans still want to do the right thing. They just need their leaders to show them how."

And it helps having the right person at the top..

1675556472599.png

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It appears the battle of Kreminna is over, Russia has blacked out communications in the occupied region and reinforced with 10s of thousands of troops.
Russia has began pushing back and marching towards Ukrainian positions between Karkiv and Luhansk regions.

Even with 700-800 Russians dying daily, this war is STILL about to escalate as Russia seeks to crush Ukrainian defense lines and expand Russian territory over the bodies of the natives.
Let us hope Ukraine has the men AND the weapons needed.

Reactions: Leeea

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Now this is the kind of news I like to hear. French company Nexter will be producing 6 new Caesars per month for Ukraine.

That's pretty good up from like a dozen per year. Nexter's order book for these stretches at least three years even at the higher rate of production, not including any deliveries to Ukraine.

I had not realized what an upgrade the 8x8 version was from the 6x6. These are the guns Denmark are giving to Ukraine.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: cytg111