Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 916 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The M60A3 TTS is modern enough to deal with the Russians, especially tank to tank against T-62s. The main weakness of the M60 is that its armor is sub par for today’s environment. The US doesn’t have an upgrade package for that. I don’t know if any foreign export models included even composite armor. But, a mediocre MBT s better than than no MBTs. Plus the high availability of various types of ammo.

The most expedient thing would likely be to slather them in Kontakt-1, put in new radios, do a fast mechanical overhaul, and fit improved optical and thermal sights.

General Dynamics, Leonardo, and Raytheon all developed potential upgrade packages at one point for the M60 that are more involved but also more capable.

Reactions: Ajay

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The most expedient thing would likely be to slather them in Kontakt-1, put in new radios, do a fast mechanical overhaul, and fit improved optical and thermal sights.

General Dynamics, Leonardo, and Raytheon all developed potential upgrade packages at one point for the M60 that are more involved but also more capable.
Sounds like a plan to me. We used to have a ton of them - but they have been being used for target practice for the various services for some time. It's time to just get 'er done. At this point I think the US may have to go it alone and get tanks into theater. Requisition them from whatever country we need to. Quick refurbs followed on by upgrades later.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I said when this invasion occurred that accelerating renewables would be the one big silver lining of this entire thing.

“The first truly global energy crisis, triggered by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, has sparked unprecedented momentum for renewables,” it said.

“Renewables [will] become the largest source of global electricity generation by early 2025, surpassing coal,” it added.

According to its “main-case forecast,” the IEA expects renewables to account for nearly 40% of worldwide electricity output in 2027, coinciding with a fall in the share of coal, natural gas and nuclear generation.
In its largest-ever upward revision to its renewable power forecast, the IEA now expects the world’s renewable capacity to surge by nearly 2,400 gigawatts between 2022 and 2027 — the same amount as the “entire installed power capacity of China today.”

Talking about a massive acceleration underway right now.

Which is ironic given that a rogue state like Russia with huge fossil fuels reserves has triggered this, because it is going to be the death knell of Russia's economy. It also shows how quickly we are capable of building renewables infrastructure. I guess climate change wasn't enough motivation and it took something like this. Should have been done already.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I said when this invasion occurred that accelerating renewables would be the one big silver lining of this entire thing.

Talking about a massive acceleration underway right now.

Which is ironic given that a rogue state like Russia with huge fossil fuels reserves has triggered this, because it is going to be the death knell of Russia's economy. It also shows how quickly we are capable of building renewables infrastructure. I guess climate change wasn't enough motivation and it took something like this. Should have been done already.
Yeah, people refer to Russia sometimes as a gas station with an army and it seems after this they aren’t going to have much of an army left and nobody will care about their gas.

This war has to be one of the most catastrophic foreign policy fuckups in my lifetime. The Iraq war was a terrible blunder on our part but the US emerged from it basically fine. I feel like some very bad times are in store for Russia after this.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
My take as well.

There's a guy I know, and have known, quite well for some time, but hadn't been around much for any detailed convo the last couple of years. Turns out he's a full blown anti-NATO Russian apologist. It stunned me, calling the Maiden revolution a coup, for instance. I had to stop engaging with him.

Do you find much crossover between the MAGA election / vaccine truthers and the anti NATO, anti American truthers?
Or is this simply a case of... humans are basically truthers in general and we'll find ourselves up against a wide variety?

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Do you find much crossover between the MAGA election / vaccine truthers and the anti NATO, anti American truthers?
Or is this simply a case of... humans are basically truthers in general and we'll find ourselves up against a wide variety?
Yes to the first, and basically yes to the second. People . . . they suck. ;)

Jan 25, 2011
The Kremlin Propagandist who wanted to play "Journalist" in the war zone wanted to "prove" Soldar in Ukraine is under full Russian control F%CK3D around and found Out:

griffin-family-guy.gif

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Hot of the press, we'll see if the Germans walk this one back somehow... but was on TV, this will be hard to reverse. (although interesting the Germans are claiming they haven't yet been asked by the Poles for permission to re-export the Leopards...)
Edit: Ok, a bit cold off the press :)

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
A triumph of transitive property: Diplomacy is shit. Shit happens. Diplomacy happens!

It can, but we don't know if this was the result of said diplomacy or just Germany facing facts about losing future business. Maybe they finally accepted that Leopards were going to Ukraine regardless of their approval. Maybe they had to have bigger carrots extended to them, assurance from US and UK. Idk but I'm interested to hear the details.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
We’ll see if they actually ok it or just like review the export application for 6 months. Germans cut the red tape when they want to do something and add more when they don’t.

Poland might lose whatever patience they’ve got left in the meantime tho.

Reactions: IJTSSG

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
It can, but we don't know if this was the result of said diplomacy or just Germany facing facts about losing future business. Maybe they finally accepted that Leopards were going to Ukraine regardless of their approval. Maybe they had to have bigger carrots extended to them, assurance from US and UK. Idk but I'm interested to hear the details.
ALL of that is part and parcel of the diplomatic process. I'd like to know the details as well. Want to bet we get different narratives? That's ALL the way it works.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
When it needs to be said....
Anyone going to accuse Gen Hodges of being being overly dramatic?

“We need to decide that we want Ukraine to win”
says General Ben Hodges, who commanded the US Army in Europe from 2014 until 2017.​

Does he accuse others of being scum for not sharing his desire for a larger war? Any weird hang ups regarding shame to fling around? Then probably not.

Which of his positions is it that you think mirror the posts you've deposited in this thread already? Be specific. I must have missed his support for American air power killing Russians. You posted an earlier video from Condi Rice that in no way supported your belligerent lust for Americans to die fighting for Ukraine too. Just, taking another swing at it?

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
What a sight to see where so many of the free democracies of the world are standing tall with Ukraine in their effort to defend their independence from a nation.....no, from ONE MAN that is seeking to politically and physically obliterate their nation from the face of the earth so as to reap the ill-begotten rewards of the genocidal war he is actively committing there.

China, take heed.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Leeea