Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 222 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Hiring mercs to get your military offensive back on track when you have one of the largest militaries on the planet certainly isn't a good look.

Russia has long utilized mercs but not like this. And not Syrians to my knowledge. And not on European soil in full view of the world. The potential for major blowback is considerable.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Pretty sure that's just a joke but there is this sci-fi film called The Philadelphia Experiment where a jet packed air carrier gets sent back 40 years in time to WW2 and makes the japs shit themselves when they see those planes.
The Philadelphia Experiment is a movie about a 1940's ship that gets caught in some kind of man-made time warp and is thrown forward in time...to (IIRC, the 1980's)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The Philadelphia Experiment is a movie about a 1940's ship that gets caught in some kind of man-made time warp and is thrown forward in time...to (IIRC, the 1980's)

This is correct.

The USS Nimitz gets thrown back through a time portal to December 6, 1941 in the movie "Final Countdown" with Martin Sheen and Kirk Douglas.

Reactions: TheVrolok and JTsyo

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
1646609257137.png

LONDON, March 6 (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a law allowing funds to be seized from the bank accounts of officials if the sum of the deposits exceeded their declared incomes over three years and was shown to be illegal, state television said on Sunday. (Reporting by Reuters)

The exact rules apparently are;
the bank accounts of civil servants, as well as members of their families, including minor children, will be checked by the prosecutor’s office. If it turns out that the proceeds from them exceed the total income of the official and his relatives for three years by more than 10,000 rubles, a lawsuit will be filed with the court for the forced withdrawal of these funds to the budget.
Source

And an insightful comment a little later in the thread;
You missed the key point: it’s lifetime-to-date net worth (heuristic: current bank account balances) vs. recent income.

As in, if you make X per year; and you have >3X in savings from Y>3 years of spending (a lot) less than you make and stuffing the difference under a mattress, then all your savings in excess of 3X get confiscated.

In other words, similar to people on welfare in America, public servants in Russia are now not allowed to retain assets in excess of a certain limit proportional to their income—even when that income all came directly from their (government) job.

This is analogous to a progressive wealth tax, but not the same; as a wealth tax still allows disproportionate wealth growth for the highest-income earners; while the goal of this measure is to leave you with at most exactly three years of however-much you’re currently making, and nothing more, no matter what your assets looked like before that.

The key “feature” to observe about this approach, IMHO, is that under this system people who are close to the savings cap already, are incentivized to spend every ruble they make, as any extra “left over” come audit time will be taken away. (It’s a bit like the game-theoretic consequences of yearly-limit insurance coverage, actually!)
Source

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Alright, so Putin is pulling in troops/mercs from all his puppet states.
But one NATO boot : ACT OF WAR.

I dont know, I think maybe Putin is out to break the world... Going back to a stalemate with NATO and him retiring is not in his manuscript for how his life is supposed to narrate. Its gonna get worse, much much worse, please let me be wrong.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
... by more than 10,000 rubles,
Um, so they're chasing down excess unexplained "wealth" of more than $90?... I guess the finance ministry and police were getting bored. Except it also applies to them...

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
The lack of planning is just insane if this is to be believed, they seriously thought they would be treated as liberators. They had riot police just drive into Kyiv and Kharkiv without any plan

what the Russians call "recruiting" or "hiring" is probably a bit different than the way the rest of us understand it.
More than a few of the truck drivers were Uzbeks hired through regular help wanted adds that promised Russian citizenship

• Haha

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Hey we've got a couple hundred freedom-fighting, tyrannized truckers showing up to DC to volunteer to defend Ukraine from tyranny this week!

I guess they're flying out of DC? Not sure why they drove from one end of the country to the other to do it, but maybe they were gathering donations and funds to bring with them to fight tyranny, right? That's really cool of them and all of those patriots that donated to their cause of defending freedom and protecting democracy.

At least, I've heard they are coming here to fight tyranny, so I can only imagine that they are flying to Ukraine via Warsaw, from Dulles. Right?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
A little while ago I saw a piece with Sec. Blinken where the US admitted that they were in talks with Poland to get MIG's to Ukraine in exchange for new US aircraft.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Hey we've got a couple hundred freedom-fighting, tyrannized truckers showing up to DC to volunteer to defend Ukraine from tyranny this week!

I guess they're flying out of DC? Not sure why they drove from one end of the country to the other to do it, but maybe they were gathering donations and funds to bring with them to fight tyranny, right? That's really cool of them and all of those patriots that donated to their cause of defending freedom and protecting democracy.

At least, I've heard they are coming here to fight tyranny, so I can only imagine that they are flying to Ukraine via Warsaw, from Dulles. Right?
They are in DC to protest how they can’t cross into Canada because of Canadian vaccine restrictions. Fucking Biden not doing anything about Canadian rules. #clownvoy

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
helps explain why fascist Russian cults of Brexiters and Trumpers had such a stranglehold over the US and the UK over the last 6 years, no?

Tons and tons of Russian money flooding the zone.

to drag this further out...so Mitch and other GOP Congresspeople and their Russian servers being dragged out today, the Trump family company, beholden to Russian capital for, at least 15 years now (admitted by Trump children on camera, and in depositions), the central Russian agents in the Trump admin: Bannon, Manafort, Flynn, et al., successive RNC conferences where the ladder was reconstructed to heavily favor relationships with Putin--in that one temporary proposal by Bannon or Millers (or was it Gorka?) to make lifting sanctions and a special relationship with Putin as the only policy in the entire RNC platform that year, lol--etc...

lol. Gioliani's sudden and complete dependence on Russian "fixers" to organize his daily affairs since....the hell? 8 or so years ago? When did that happen? hahah Who were those 7 GOP goblins that were hanging out with Putin on July 4th? hahahahahaha. The faceless attempts to extort and blackmail the democratically elected, non-Putin puppet of Ukraine, now the most popular and probably loved person on the planet..

you just got to wonder. Fox collectively shitting the bed over their undeniably faceless and extremely public cock-sucking of Vladimir Putin from 2012 until exactly last week. How utterly beholden is the GOP and their entire organization to Russian money? To this exact war?

lol. you just cant's separate GOP hooliganism from Russian hooliganism, and this genocide happening, that they aided, abetted, and will violently deny.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
so "taking down nazism" in Ukraine is, in Russia speak, the same kind of blatant projection that GOPers over hear like to toss towards their enemies?
The same fascist forces that are running rampant in Russia today are the same forces metastasizing here in the US within the GQP. The tactics of misinformation are very similar, along with a lust for power at all costs. Russia is just further along in their timeline.