Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 212 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

they've shot down a few more planes/choppers

All the "old plane fanboys" who like to copy pastes "brrrrt" and cite how it did in areas where the US had complete air and ground superiority against glorified civilians.
This is what reality looks like.
This is what A-10 pilots get to look forward to if the US were run by people on the internet and "I served in Afghanistan and the A-10 is the only plane we need" guys.
Su-25's pack more armor and protection than A-10's and are not slow as fuck like A-10's.
Yet there they are....dropping like flies.

All the folks who have complained about the money spent on F-22's and F-35's....

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
So LAWS are still in use. Dirt cheap, and lethal to armor. No fire and forget though.
for those who dont know.. laws= Light Anti-armor Weapon.
they are absolute bang for the buck in Warhammer 40k game in early stages

• Love
Reactions: Thump553

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
All the "old plane fanboys" who like to copy pastes "brrrrt" and cite how it did in areas where the US had complete air and ground superiority against glorified civilians.
This is what A-10 pilots get to look forward to if the US were run by people on the internet and "I served in Afghanistan and the A-10 is the only plane we need" guys.
Su-25's pack more armor and protection than A-10's and are not slow as fuck like A-10's.

All you folks who have complained about the money spent on F-22's and F-35's....
Only a moron would say we only need A-10's, but they still serve their purpose quiet well. Otherwise instead of wasting money on F-22s and F-35s that have astronomical costs both for production and maintenance, build thousands and thousands of Predators armed with Hellfires.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
wait.. what?
how did the A10 warhogs pown Afghanistan/Iraq then?

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
NATO naval forces build up in the AEGEAN sea,

USS CVN-75 Harry S. Truman Aircraft carrier with its battle group is currently near Lesvos Island in the North Aegean sea close to Dardanelles straights and Bosporus.

Also, French Aircraft Carrier Charles De Gaulle is currently in East Med close to Crete Island. They performing CAP with Rafale M over AEGEAN Sea and Black Sea.

Hurry-Truman-CVN-75.png

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
wait.. what?
how did the A10 warhogs pown Afghanistan/Iraq then?
Don’t you know…A-10’s are worthless and never achieved any success in any theater. /s

Of course, no one suggested A-10’s be left alone without proper support, much like AC-47 gunships being alone without support.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019

USS CVN-75 Hurry S. Truman Aircraft carrier
Is that a new Aircraft Carrier?

Oh you mean the Harry S. Truman A-10 Carrier? Yeah, this bad boy is scheduled to be decommissioned by 2024, But I say keep that beast alive much longer due to the current state of afairs

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rommelrommel

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
I think it highly advisable for any Americans in Russia or it's vassal states to expeditiously exit. Perhaps not by air though.

Does noone tell these people that when you are advised to leave a country by your government, it's best to leave anything unnecessary behind so you don't get detained? "Take some of your clothes and leave your toiletries. Buy toothpaste and a toothbrush when you get someplace safe."

Reactions: pcgeek11

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Well, no. They have something like 1200+ relatively modern fighters in inventory most with some ground attack abilities. Anything that's out for service or even effectively in storage can be made operational fairly fast. Shooting down planes costs them a lot of money but they can keep throwing planes at Ukraine for a long time if they don't mind what a NATO country would consider unacceptable attrition.

It is possible to have more MANPADS that you can effectively use, hard to say how many have been sent. More advanced systems or a no-fly would be of a lot more good to Ukraine, but those are both big asks.
Hopefully they can make use of some of the captured SAMs.

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
Does noone tell these people that when you are advised to leave a country by your government, it's best to leave anything unnecessary behind so you don't get detained? "Take some of your clothes and leave your toiletries. Buy toothpaste and a toothbrush when you get someplace safe."
IIRC we don't actually know when she was arrested, just that it was last month.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

USS CVN-75 Hurry S. Truman Aircraft carrier with its battle group is currently near Lesvos Island in the North Aegean sea close to Dardanelles straights and Bosporus.

Also, French Aircraft Carrier Charles De Gaulle is currently in East Med close to Crete Island. They performing CAP with Rafale M over AEGEAN Sea and Black Sea.

Hurry-Truman-CVN-75.png
Hmm....

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Is that a new Aircraft Carrier?

Oh you mean the Harry S. Truman A-10 Carrier? Yeah, this bad boy is scheduled to be decommissioned by 2024, But I say keep that beast alive much longer due to the current state of afairs

Refuel or retire. Seen it over and over in the sub world. Refueling is not cheap, and how much more life is left. US reactors are miles ahead of everyone else, the new ones go on and on. UK has all it's Vanguard parked or in decommission mode. New class is in the works.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This is why 'studying history' never works. People always draw the wrong parallels and learn the wrong lessons and try to refight the last war. Every single unecessary conflict since 1945 the West has gotten into by comparing it to 1938 and declaring any attempt to avoid it is 'appeasement'. Just as in 1938 they were trying to learn from 1914. If we now bring about WW3 due to yet another misguided attempt to "learn from history" that would be entirely typical.

Except I wasn't saying we should have intervened with military force, either in relation to Crimea, or now. I'm saying the economic sanctions we are imposing now, we should have imposed then. If we had, I seriously doubt there ever would have been an invasion of Ukraine. Indeed, I doubt Putin would even still be in power.

The lesson from history is that when a militaristic dictator tries to conquer some small territory, like part of country, they are doing it as a trial balloon, to see if they can get away with it. With only token sanctions, Putin got away with Crimea. So you don't appease; you get tough. Getting tough can mean a range of options. In this case, serious economic sanctions were in order. I thought that at the time, not just now in hindsight.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
As an ambivalent dictator for life, I am in full agreement with your disappoint!
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This familiar saying originated as a comment in a letter written by Lord Acton, an English historian who lived from 1834 to 1902. His full name was John Emerich Edward Dahlberg Acton.

Genghis Kahn did pretty well, evidently, but his was a unique story. Uh, he had no 500 foot yachts.

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Good editorial about how Putin's ugly invasion has hurt the far right politically, especially in Europe. Because those assholes supported Putin's annexation of Crimea, and because they publicly predicted that Putin would not invade Ukraine.

Yet another reason it is important that Putin fail and be thrown out. The worse this gets for Putin, this worse this gets for the far right in western countries, including Trump, who is too stupid to stop praising him, even as recently as last week.