Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 99 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
A huge amount of information coming out about the cyberwarfare tactics. Sites like SANS-UA are releasing a ton of information publicly. Interestingly enough it spans from the completely unsophisticated and almost amateurish efforts to the more sophisticated efforts you'd normally associate with a nation state actor. Lots of speculation about why it wasn't more successful (perhaps wanting to hold back some capabilities?) but lots of information to digest. Interesting new (at least to me) twist - using SMS to try and sow additional confusion - telling people ATMs and banks are running out of money to try and cause a run on banks kinds of things

Reactions: nicalandia

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
I think the non-military response from the west has largely been quite good, so far. A unified response.

I wonder if it would have been as coordinated under Trump, or a helter skelter mess as I suspect. Probably wouldn't have even levied half the sanctions so far.

Oh wait, I forgot, Trump would have "projected strength" and prevented this altogether.
Biden predicted that this would happen under Trump and not under a Biden admin. Oops. President "We had no idea that the Taliban would take over so quickly" Biden is a mess.

• Haha
Reactions: nakedfrog

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The scales of power are off balance. Between West and East, only East will invade and consume you. West won't lift a finger. In the coming decades you'll learn why this matters. China will take what it wants, and still we will not lift a finger.

It's fine to argue that the US should deploy troops in Ukraine to fight Russia.

It is simply inaccurate to say that we are part of any form of treaty obligation to do so.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Biden predicted that this would happen under Trump and not under a Biden admin. Oops. President "We had no idea that the Taliban would take over so quickly" Biden is a mess.
It didn't happen under Trump because Trump was destroying NATO for Putin.

I think we both agree that Trump was Putin's lapdog. It was embarrassing for the country how Trump would constantly humiliate himself, desperately seeking Putin's validation.

Reactions: hal2kilo

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
There seems to be no attempt to square the ideas that Biden isn't doing enough to stop Putin from invading Ukraine and also invading Ukraine is fine.
Good thing for them that inconsistency is a feature, not a bug.

Biden predicted that this would happen under Trump and not under a Biden admin. Oops. ...
Can you provide a source for this statement?
He got it from inside Tucker Carlson's butthole.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
It’s time for the US and NATO to start deploying and massing a massive amount of troops and armaments in Eastern Europe.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Did he? Please cite a reasonably neutral source. I'd say Biden (and virtually every rational person) knew Trump was being soft on Russia, but specifically predicting a Russian invasion of Ukraine? Not that I've seen.

Besides, it's a bit rich to claim "Biden is a mess" on this issue when you support pro-Putin politicians like Trump. If Trump had won the 2020 election, NATO wouldn't be offering a coordinated response — and Trump would probably be trying to downplay or even excuse the invasion of Ukraine.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Did he? Please cite a reasonably neutral source. I'd say Biden (and virtually every rational person) knew Trump was being soft on Russia, but specifically predicting a Russian invasion of Ukraine? Not that I've seen.

Besides, it's a bit rich to claim "Biden is a mess" on this issue when you support pro-Putin politicians like Trump. If Trump had won the 2020 election, NATO wouldn't be offering a coordinated response — and Trump would probably be trying to downplay or even excuse the invasion of Ukraine.

Nah. Virtually EVERY other world leader, every other world citizen.... they had it all wrong. Trump had it dialed in and his followers were the only ones that could see it. It's everyone else that is wrong.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It's fine to argue that the US should deploy troops in Ukraine to fight Russia.

It is simply inaccurate to say that we are part of any form of treaty obligation to do so.

Our duplicity was already addressed and acknowledged. Point being, the world is up for grabs and now everybody knows it.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Russia is appears very close to having full air superiority over Ukraine, plus now has ground forces apparently in outskirts, and certainly within artillery and MLRS range of Kyiv.

Warnings of mass rockets/bombings last night turned out to be inaccurate - for now - but open question of how far Putin (and his army) are willing to push to make Ukraine kneel. They've promised to avoid civilian areas, but they also very rarely tell the truth... Certainly within Russian capabilities now to knock out utilities and cause a humanitarian disaster, even without mass bombing of the cities.

As an interesting side note, it appears Putin was planning to play the "little green men" tune again, except the US called him out on the false flag operations. All of the initial invasion forces, both ground and air, that have been pictured appear to have invaded with Russian insignia and identity hidden, replaced by only a large white painted Z or V.

Particularly notable on the aircraft/helicopters, which usually have very distinct russian red star and flag that have all been painted over - on every single phase 1 invasion vehicle. Hiding ID numbers / license plates (to limit battalion tracking) can make tactical sense, but hiding nationality has no purpose - other than if trying to pretend they aren't actually russian military.

Reactions: RnR_au

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Following the EU the UK will also sanction Putin and Lavrov. I assume the US will also do so soon.

Opposition to a SWIFT cutoff from Germany and Italy appears to be softening.