Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 469 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
A secondary consequence of the war in Ukraine is Central and Eastern Europe expending their stocks of ex-Soviet equipment/munitions and upgrading to more capable gear through purchase or backfilling.

Man, the UK sure is stepping up to the plate on the Ukr/Rus war. I guess they've seen enough European land wars in their time and have learned their lesson. Germany is in the midst of a huge 180 degree turn around in their military doctrine, it's not helpful now but will be in the long term. France is embroiled in domestic issues over the election (shades of 2016) and can't give their full attention to Ukraine's needs right now. Hopefully Macron wins and France can get back on track.

Reactions: RnR_au

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
France is embroiled in domestic issues over the election (shades of 2016) and can't give their full attention to Ukraine's needs right now. Hopefully Macron wins and France can get back on track.

He should prevail if by a narrower margin then last time, which is another problem but one for later.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
A secondary consequence of the war in Ukraine is Central and Eastern Europe expending their stocks of ex-Soviet equipment/munitions and upgrading to more capable gear through purchase or backfilling.

I'm not sure Poland would bite at having three different MBT's on the go at once. Maybe the UK could send their crews and such too for some "joint training operations" in the meantime.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I'm not sure Poland would bite at having three different MBT's on the go at once. Maybe the UK could send their crews and such too for some "joint training operations" in the meantime.

That would give them T-72s, M1s, and Challengers? Yeah, I could see it as a minor concern to be alleviated like you said. Also, offset by possibly bringing in additional NATO forces as well to provide additional "short term" cover.

Although if it is a precursor to phasing out the T72s, then I could see that being a benefit as well. Full on NATO gear would be preferable.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Kind of already there with the Leopard 2s, PT-91s, and T-72M1R. Four when the Abrams start to arrive in the next few years. They don't seem to mind.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
For Russia collateral damage is a feature, not a bug.

Well if you are say, for the sake of argument, aiming at Ukraine's R-360s in an Odessa warehouse you really really really want to make sure the strike lands on target.

For other stuff yea they don't care.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
That would give them T-72s, M1s, and Challengers? Yeah, I could see it as a minor concern to be alleviated like you said. Also, offset by possibly bringing in additional NATO forces as well to provide additional "short term" cover.

Although if it is a precursor to phasing out the T72s, then I could see that being a benefit as well. Full on NATO gear would be preferable.

Easy fix- buy a bunch of new Challenger 3 tanks to replace the Abrams and T72s. And hey, we can update the Challenger 2 you already have to the same spec.

Tories will always work for the UK arms manufacturers. These "free" tanks are just a way to get new customers bought into your product.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Sounds like a thorough round of ass kicking there, hope it's completely true. Ukrainians are tougher than coffin nails and the Russians on the ground don't want to be there.

And now they have a new flavor of drone death to catch, Phoenix Ghost. I hope this kind of news keeps coming.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Sounds like a thorough round of ass kicking there, Ukrainians are tougher than coffin nails.

AKA: Marlboro Reds. ;)

And yeah I really thought the Ukrainians would put up a "show" of resistance but then be overwhelmed by Russia's "superior" military-might.

Hasn't exactly "panned out" rotfl. :p

Reactions: Leeea

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
It's not a coincidence that Macron is talking in more detailed terms about arms now. He's been opening his lead on her in the polls and successfully hit her on Putin in the debate. Scholz appears more comfortable supplying ammunition for the guns than the guns themselves...which doesn't make any sense to me or really anybody else but whatever.

He's a bit odd isn't he?

Then again, he's not a malignantly narcissistic sociopath and Russian asset prone to treason, so I should probably cancel that judgment.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
It's not a coincidence that Macron is talking in more detailed terms about arms now. He's been opening his lead on her in the polls and successfully hit her on Putin in the debate. Scholz appears more comfortable supplying ammunition for the guns than the guns themselves...which doesn't make any sense to me or really anybody else but whatever.

The timing on that "corruption" case against Le Pen was certainly convenient and can't have helped her chances any with most voters. (not that I'm complaining!)

EU fraud agency accuses Marine Le Pen of misusing public funds

(France24)

Reactions: RnR_au and Leeea

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
He's a bit odd isn't he?

Then again, he's not a malignantly narcissistic sociopath and Russian asset prone to treason, so I should probably cancel that judgment.
They're French, they all seem a bit odd to us. We probably look weirder to everyone else though, cept maybe Aussies.

• Haha
Reactions: Thump553

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Easy fix- buy a bunch of new Challenger 3 tanks to replace the Abrams and T72s. And hey, we can update the Challenger 2 you already have to the same spec.

Tories will always work for the UK arms manufacturers. These "free" tanks are just a way to get new customers bought into your product.

Pretty sure almost every Nation is padding the bottom line of many Domestic Arms manufacturers.

Reactions: Captante