Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 431 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The Russians have confirmed an ammunition explosion.

If it rolled over on its side after being struck, they are mostly dead. Heavy storm, winter seas, no chance at all.

This ship had a massive S300 - S400 equivalent anti-air craft battery on board, covering much of southern Ukraine. This is very good news for Ukraine.

Ukrainians better have their AD systems all tuned up though. Moscow is going to be fucking furious and looking to hit back.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
So Ukraine bagged a Russian cruiser? Hot damn that is some great news. What a blow to their fleet, not to mention their pride. Someone in this thread asked about Russian boats earlier, my reply was based around me pondering the Slava class for a bit, heh. Hopefully loss of life was minimal, but I'm glad to see Ukraine makin with those artificial reefs. Russian sailors aren't raping children or torturing civilians to death, I figure if they make it back to mom good for them.

And did I just see that Sweden has officially applied for NATO membership? Excellent. C'mon Finland, I thought you two were holding hands on the way to the NATO ball? Finland brings over a million troops (including reserves) to the ranks, they are very organized and motivated. Excellent intel services too, like a Nordic Japan. They've already chosen F-35, and currently use updated F-18s.

Looks like it's going to happen

Way to go Vlad, and it only took you war crimes and a destroyed economy to get there.

Last edited:

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
She doesn't want money. She wants power.

She's a fascist. Fascists stick together.

Russia wants as much European discord as possible, and since he was successful in getting the UK out of the EU, next up is France.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Side note on Moskva: this really is embarrassing for Russian Navy, how they spin it domestically will be interesting.

If in fact it was hit by 2 Neptune missiles, that is an epic failure ~ the Moskva is specifically designed as an anti-air, anti-cruise missile defense platform, just as much as it is an offensive missile platform. 64 S-300's to intercept cruise missiles (or aircraft), 6 CIWS point defense guns, plus short range air defense missiles.

Edit: Picture with armament highlighted, thanks wiki
View attachment 60001
"4" are the AK-630 - 30mm "fully automatic" point defense cannons (CIWS)
"5" are the S-300 launchers (8! launchers, 64 missile inventory)
"6" is short range OSA-M SAM

maybe all their weapons actually got oligarched away and no one told Putin?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Nice artillery strike on a Russian depot in Kherson.

I sure hope Russia keeps parking stuff there.

Hey Yuri, they keep blowing it up. I think badguys see our stuff there, no?
Nyet, keep putting food and fuel and weapons there. It safe.
But they blow us up 4 times already, Yuri.
Nyet, it is propaganda. Put artillery there now.
OK, Yuri.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I sure hope Russia keeps parking stuff there.

Hey Yuri, they keep blowing it up. I think badguys see our stuff there, no?
Nyet, keep putting food and fuel and weapons there. It safe.
But they blow us up 4 times already, Yuri.
Nyet, it is propaganda. Put artillery there now.
OK, Yuri.

orders are orders lol

Reactions: Leeea

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
iu

Soviet designers liked to put a lot of stuff that goes boom on the deck

Indeed that thing is destined to go boom, wow. One ukranian missile has to hit one of those other missiles that are just sitting there and that's the end, lol. I guess their ships dont have any vertical launch type system that's under the deck?

not my quote "You know a war is going well when you lose a fleet's flagship while fighting a country without a navy " damn

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I've been hearing about the Balkans getting salty again, and what happened in the 90s there still offends Moscow. Really hope Putin isn't about to try and open up a second front for the West to contend with.

The only remaining Russian military is defending the homeland.

Russia has no more conventional power than what is being defeated in Ukraine.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Ukrainians better have their AD systems all tuned up though. Moscow is going to be fucking furious and looking to hit back.
Russia is already throwing everything they can into the fight in an effort to exterminate the Ukraine.

Ukraine has nothing to lose.

Russian sailors aren't raping children or torturing civilians to death, I figure if they make it back to mom good for them.
They are providing air defense and support to those who do. The death of this ship will make Russia SAM coverage over southern Ukraine much more predictable. Allowing for Ukraine to better defend itself from Russia's genocide.

The only good Russian soldier is a dead one. May they all burn in hell. Every Russian soldier killed makes the world a better place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
With ammunition stores exploding, I'm thinking the Russian ministry claims of "the crew were completely evacuated" almost certainly is including those evacuated to Davy Jones' Locker. 510 crew reportedly on board.

They were evacuated at a high rate of speed in flaming pieces when the ammunition stores detonated.

Hell, fish gotta eat too.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I don't understand how there is political support let along extensive voter support inside France for her viewpoints.
Macron decided that now was the time to change the age that pensions can be collected, before he decided this he had almost a 10 point lead on her.

Reactions: RnR_au