Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 372 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
If Putin had not started the war and had everybody cared more about the citizen than borders long before we ended here, it might have been a good idea to split Ukraine or given these regions more self government. Ukraine is a country with splitted population, and it's due to the history of the country and it is regional conditioned.

But now that solution seems far away.

Reactions: RnR_au

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Add Kentucky. That way Moscow Mitch will feel right at home.

Now that Russia and its oligarchs are being hit with serious sanctions I'm surprised nobody from the media is asking McConnell about that Russian financed aluminum rolling plant he and Trump were pushing and how those two played a part in lifting the sanctions on Russian oligarch Deripaska. It seems the deal is stalled, the State of Kentucky is asking for its investment back ($15 mil) and what is Moscow Mitch doing about it?

Reactions: Captante and iRONic

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I dont see it. Putin CANT have a functional EU democracy on his doorstep with so many family ties into his USSR. Its poison to his regime, his power. I dont know how this equation solves but….
Putin must go. He's turned into a nationalistic tyrant and there's no going back.

I figure it's bound to happen. Russia is not sustainable with the sanctions.

Last edited:
Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Putin must go. He's turned into a nationalistic tyrant and there's no going back.

I figure it's bound to happen. Russia is not sustainable with the sanctions.
Indeed. Fork over over Putin to the Haag and lift one sanction pr. decommissioned nuke, regime change and give Russia back to the people.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Oh no, but Biden said something about Putin. Let's all freak out. He has dementia!

Oh bad Biden, you're mean words are dangerous and escalatory.

Meanwhile in Russia...
Meanwhile in Russia... An official said Biden's words were "unacceptable." Oh my, did he hurt someone's feelings? They have bombed the shit out of Mariupol, the mayor says 5000 dead, they're shelling the major cities mercilessly, 1/2 the children in Ukraine have been displaced. Oh poor Puti, his feelings...

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There is still PBS Newshour, Frontline...and 60 Minutes is still pretty good, but I rarely watch it. But man...there isn't much after that as far as TV real-world information goes.
60 Minutes is generally pretty damn good. I don't watch it all the time but have been a lot, especially if they hype a story ahead of time that I'm interested in. Plenty of great topics and real good treatment. I always DVR it and FF through the commercials. I have tried PBS News Hour a few times the last year or so. Hasn't worked for me. I should try Frontline.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Russia on the use of nukes in Ukraine
Dialing the rhetoric back again.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Russia on the use of nukes in Ukraine
Dialing the rhetoric back again.

Bottom line: The longer the Ukrainians hold out the better their chances are of ejecting Putin's murdering thugs out of their nation no conditions attached. It also gives NATO and its associated partners more time to give Ukraine a better logistics regimen in the way of supplying arms and medical aid. As for the MIGs in Poland, methinks (with a shit ton of hope and well wishes) that as many disassembled MIGs, upgrades and repair parts as possible (from wherever) are being shipped to the Ukrainians and reassembled there post haste.

Last edited:

adamsleath

May 4, 2007
To be fair, I think Ukraine has proven that they don't actually need NATO to hold back Russia.

Let Ukraine join the EU. Let it jumpstart its broken economy, with the help of the US (the only thing as good as war for the military industrial complex is rebuilding a broken economy and injured military).

And then just give them the same weapons systems that the EU has access to, no NATO membership necessary.

Russia probably won't come back to get its fucking ass handed to it again.
I tend to agree with this.
But I guess I'm a pussy when it comes to playing nerd-chair strategy.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Now that I think about it, Vice media does do good work in this. But again, so much buried behind subscription services. Primary information sources need to be free, untainted by profit motivation: e.g., Frontline, but more widely known and commonly digested.

fixed the bolded for you. :)

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Meanwhile in Russia... An official said Biden's words were "unacceptable." Oh my, did he hurt someone's feelings? They have bombed the shit out of Mariupol, the mayor says 5000 dead, they're shelling the major cities mercilessly, 1/2 the children in Ukraine have been displaced. Oh poor Puti, his feelings...
Don't forget they've also been threatening nuclear war. Fuck their feelings.

Reactions: Muse and sandorski

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
9P35dlR.png

excellent picture of an nlaw fired

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
ACA made my life better.

Pretty sad if you think nothing in the US has improved in 21 years. No, you'll never wake up one day and all human suffering be gone, but the US has made quite a bit of progress in 20 years. Even if we had to suffer through 12 years of regressive policies.
The most cash flush country on the planet finally accepting something that kind of looks like modern healthcare coverage if you look at it cross-eyed isn't what I call a redemption arc. It's fucking depressing as shit, and you should find it as such too. That you consider a bone being thrown at you as something to be grateful for speaks volumes to the level of abuse by modern society you've endured.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Russia says they are going to “radically” retreat from Kiyiv.

If these guys are running east…sounds like target practice.

They want to divert resources to the eastern area of combat which is tricky because of how they've spread themselves. That means not reinforcing the NE and NW thrusts much if at all. Russians said "reduce" not "cease" apparently so that indicates they probably have limited and shrinking capabilities in these areas. Ukrainians should keep nibbling at their positions here regardless.

Reactions: Roger Wilco