Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 370 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Chess is a board game based on a paradigm of war, conquest, the aim of which is to destroy your opponent.

You no NATO? I war machine with 6500 nukes, poison gas by the ton, Novichok, iron grip on internal media, hell bent on regaining territories lost at end of Cold War...

Ukraine joining NATO would be analogous to castling in chess.
Its not important, ill drop it.

Reactions: Muse

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm just so over the general US public and their polling on Biden in this. Like what the fuck do you want.
A week ago, he's too weak.
Over the weekend his words were too strong.

Ok.

I just see manufactured drama. The entire fucking point of crippling sanctions on their economy and wealth hoarding elites is force an internal changeup. We do that to create dissent internally. He's saying exactly what we intend to happen. I wouldn't walk it back either.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm just so over the general US public and their polling on Biden in this. Like what the fuck do you want.

Ok.

I just see manufactured drama. The entire fucking point of crippling sanctions on their economy and wealth hoarding elites is force an internal changeup. We do that to create dissent internally. He's saying exactly what we intend to happen. I wouldn't walk it back either.

The electorate in general is in a really sour mood. On seemingly everything. Call it COVID hangover or whatever. Republicans not likely to fare any better if/when they make midterm gains.

Reactions: hal2kilo

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Not going to hold my breath for Americans to rationally connect their votes to policy outcomes.

Look at polling for every major Dem proposal, and it's overwhelmingly favorable across every demographic. Which is why reps stick to virtue signaling about ridiculous culture warfare "issues" that they don't actually care about. (bathroom bills, book bannings etc)

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
The electorate in general is in a really sour mood. On seemingly everything. Call it COVID hangover or whatever. Republicans not likely to fare any better if/when they make midterm gains.
Probably something to do with the fact that in 2001 we saw thousands of Americans die on live TV, and nothing has gotten better since then. Only worse.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Look at polling for every major Dem proposal, and it's overwhelmingly favorable across every demographic. Which is why reps stick to virtue signaling about ridiculous culture warfare "issues" that they don't actually care about. (bathroom bills, book bannings etc)

The American electorate could literally wake up and find Rick Scott looming above their bed measuring for Soylent Green production and think "Yea, well maybe we'll give these guys a shot since I'm unhappy".

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Ok.

Biden's low favorables are almost entirely due to republican approval being near zilch. Shocking - I know. That, and well, 'it's the economy stupid'. It never seems to matter who caused the economic problems, or why. It only matters who's in office when the problems hit.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Biden's low favorables are almost entirely due to republican approval being near zilch. Shocking - I know. That, and well, 'it's the economy stupid'. It never seems to matter who caused the economic problems, or why. It only matters who's in office when the problems hit.

Just saw a poll on msnbc

Biden at 33% Why?
Most important job Biden has
1. Fix inflation 68%
2. Fix Ukraine 32%
Some stuff on Covid as well where he is doing much better.

I mean, it does not strike people that these things are interconnected? To get economy rolling we need food security, logistics and trade running, all things that war and covid just hammers.
So as covid eases off, that part of his numbers will increase again *BY MAGIC* .. and the whole food security thing -> Ukraine. Get that shit running again and inflation goes down, interest rates will go down again etc.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I get so annoyed with comments on Economic/Business articles. Everything is just Political BS without any, seemingly, awareness of underlining causes, like freaking Supply(apparently some Fake thing elites talk about) of all things.

There is zero interest in Understanding, just make things go Brrrrrrrrr.

Reactions: Zorba

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Just saw a poll on msnbc

Biden at 33% Why?
Most important job Biden has
1. Fix inflation 68%
2. Fix Ukraine 32%
Some stuff on Covid as well where he is doing much better.

I mean, it does not strike people that these things are interconnected? To get economy rolling we need food security, logistics and trade running, all things that war and covid just hammers.
So as covid eases off, that part of his numbers will increase again *BY MAGIC* .. and the whole food security thing -> Ukraine. Get that shit running again and inflation goes down, interest rates will go down again etc.
Well, for one, the economic problems are rooted in many factors that have nothing to do with the war. Getting Russian oil/gas back on into the market will help, but not solve that problem. Secondly, our general population is typically looking at what their situation will be in a month, or even next week. The majority of families cannot afford an unexpected expense of $400US!!! That in itself is f*cked up, but I think you can see how this would create such a short term focus among many Americans. Lastly, Ukraine is a country most people didn't even know existed until the Republicans made it an issue over the fictitious 'Hunter Biden' affair. Even now, Ukraine is way over there -------->. The super market is just down the street.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Joining the EU basically ensures military alignment anyway. If what I read overall is true about the negotiations is that Russian gains will be limited to...keeping Crimea and Donbas (lines TBD). Coulda had that with a LOT less trouble, Vlad.

Ukrainians appear understandably skeptical.

I also see no reason they can't join NATO, anyway, or take back the rest of their territory if they see fit, after whatever they sign with Putin.

There is no reason to assume Putin will honor a deal, so fuck that piece of shit. Sign whatever to get RU out of Ukraine ASAP, run in and clean up the occupiers in Crimea and Donbass, let NATO move in.

Reactions: Meghan54

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I get so annoyed with comments on Economic/Business articles. Everything is just Political BS without any, seemingly, awareness of underlining causes, like freaking Supply(apparently some Fake thing elites talk about) of all things.

There is zero interest in Understanding, just make things go Brrrrrrrrr.
It takes time and effort to gain any reasonable understanding of even the basic functional elements of the economy. It's way easier to just doomscroll imgur. At least at one point in history, we had one hour network news programs that made a reasonable effort to give people some understanding of events. Now we either have the farce that is the 30min network news today or endless blabbering on cable news networks and talk radio. Well, all that, and nobody reads papers, even online versions, anymore.