Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 228 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
So, if we're not supposed to believe either side, how do we know which side to believe?

Well, one of the sides has a century long running list of oppressions and propaganda. The other side has been spending all their effort distancing themselves in every way possible from that oppressive side.

While I'm sure Ukraine is spreading some "alternate facts", I'm guessing most of what they are putting out and showing the rest of the world is true.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I just checked, it is him. He fell into a scheme to get eastern Europeans here to work in hotels fraudulently applying for short term visas and then having them overstay.
He then took over the operation and expanded it right before getting caught.
Sounds like a real stand-up guy, the kind you'd like your little sister to date./s

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Russia’s apparently been doing the exact same shit since at least the 1850s.

"Crimean War 1853-1856 - a 🧵: Tzar claims jurisdiction over Christians (Ukrainians) in the Holy Land & Crimea (Lugansk, Donetsk & Crimea). Austro-Hungary (Russian empire's "allies"), Turkey, France & England unite against the Tsar. How did things go?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajay and KMFJD

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Japan declares southern Kurils is their sovereign territory.

Not sure how much Russia would care or care as I don't know the significance of these islands, but this must some kind of escalation of some sort?
Japan has wanted the closest few islands back ever since Russia took them in 1945 in WWII. They have been bickering back and forth ever since.

If Japan gets sucked into this war, then it is a pretty significant escalation. If this is just blustering, then it is basically a continuation of the same blustering that has been going on for Putin's whole life.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Japan has wanted the closest few islands back ever since Russia took them in 1945 in WWII. They have been bickering back and forth ever since.

If Japan gets sucked into this war, then it is a pretty significant escalation. If this is just blustering, then it is basically a continuation of the same blustering that has been going on for Putin's whole life.
Seems they looked at Russia's pathetic excuse for invading Ukraine, and its turning it against them.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
LOL
It's not a $40M plane.
It cost a hell of a lot more to replace a modern SU-34.
Might have been 40m back in 1990.
Hell you could still by an F-15E for cheap back in 1990 at the"pretend price" of 32m.
Crash one today and you better show up with a check for 120million
Well, Russia really saves by using discount electronics... using low-end $150 commercial US-Garmin GPS systems, rather than fixing the flaky on-board system. As actual example in combat SU-34 in Syria in 2021.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Couple more Russian officers down. Not far from Russian border. Can't believe people still think Russia has any chance of taking Ukraine.

They still have a lot of men. And their mission is annihilation. If they can stabilize their logistics they can mount a pressure campaign in the coming weeks, to see who bleeds out first.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017

Couple more Russian officers down. Not far from Russian border. Can't believe people still think Russia has any chance of taking Ukraine.
The Southern front is going better overall from Russian perspective I think, aided by having dual-tracked direct rail lines straight from Russia (over new Crimea bridges) for resupply.

If I had just 2 cruise missiles to hand over to Ukraine to help fight the war, I'd hit that rail bridge and neighboring road bridge to Russia to cut off Crimea resupply and reinforcements. Although they'd still have port there, losing rail link would substantially slow down resupply to southern invasion.

Edit: minor interesting side note, from satellite imagery, the rail line from Crimea to Russia does not actually connect to the rail lines from Crimea into Ukraine. I guess there was no reason to connect previously - with the border north previously closed to Russia. So any supplies there are having to be unloaded / reloaded again by truck.

Last edited:

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Well, Russia really saves by using discount electronics... using low-end $150 commercial US-Garmin GPS systems, rather than fixing the flaky on-board system. As actual example in combat SU-34 in Syria in 2021.

I remember that.....lol.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
So, if we're not supposed to believe either side, how do we know which side to believe?

Makes no difference. We know the side that we oppose. The invader who is trying his best to commit genocide.
Ergo, we need to support Ukraine with everything we have and more.

lixlax

Nov 6, 2014

Ukrainians really shouldn't kill or capture any russian commanders since it could backfire on them- they might be replaced by smarter ones.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I'd like to think the difference is not because of the skin color but due to the fact that Ukraine is fairly well integrated into the west even if it is not part of the EU/Nato, and the fact that it's a fairly developed country with lots of cell phones which provides tons of first hand unofficial coverage on social media.

At least that's what I'd like to believe.
Its that and that other thing.
The private sector is rather giddy and anxious to get Ukrainians into the work force, its an easy fit, where as our Syrian brothers and sisters in general has a steeper curve. Add to that that someone has been cultivating the far right segment in Europe too and the sad fact is, that yes, color plays a factor, it is gasoline on some scheming vile segments in politics, and as a clinical calculus, to avoid our own 2016 moment, we must act accordingly.
I am 100% certain it was Putins plan as well, with Syria, one reason for the demolition of civilian structures was to create a refugee stream right into the alt-right-neo-fuckery engine that he has spend sooo much money cultivating.
So yea, color is a thing, what is not a thing is saying "hey its color" and everything snaps back into place... Its a big complicated machinery involving hostile foreign actors.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Ukrainians really shouldn't kill or capture any russian commanders since it could backfire on them- they might be replaced by smarter ones.
You figure they're saving the smart ones in reserve because things are going so well for them?