Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 206 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Reconnaissance-in-force (RIF) is a type of military operation or military tactic used specifically to probe an enemy's combat ability.

While typical reconnaissance forces are small and armed only for self-defense, RIF use considerable (but not decisive) force in order to elicit a strong reaction by the enemy that more accurately reveals its own strength, deployment, preparedness, determination, and other tactical data. The RIF units can then fall back and report this data, or expand the conflict into a full engagement if enemy weaknesses are revealed.

Very true...used when the enemy is mostly or wholly unknown. Ukraine, on the other hand, is equipped with the same weaponry as Russia, tho mostly older, and trained in the same tactics. So what's to be gained by recon of your weaker mirror image?

Reactions: zinfamous
Feb 4, 2009
fodder?
maybe.
maybe the other guess that their military is sadly run down unmaintained and crap is partly true. or they've expended a bunch of poorly maintained equip and low grade troops as fodder.

who really knows? i dont know jack shit, just snippets from social media and msm...mainly in this thread XD

some years ago putin was supposed to be ordering state of the art tanks etc. but also not as many were produced as was first planned. from memory, but that story was from a few years ago now.

==
and remember disinformation isn't confined to the russian side.

I vote for crappy planning. Putin is a dictator who is surrounded by yes men. I bet all his generals are yes men too.
Nobody is going to tell Putin his plan is shit.

Wrong harmful disinformation is only on one side.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Shame on you Florida, but then this kind of thing is to be expected in DeSantisland.

Florida House avoids voting to divest from Russia over Ukraine invasion

"During a floor session, state Rep. Andrew Learned, D-Brandon, proposed amending a bill to prohibit the State Board of Administration from investing Florida Retirement System assets in any company, Russian or otherwise, that does business with the Russian government. The move was in response to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s decision to invade Ukraine.
Republican lawmakers, who control the House, ruled the amendment out of order on a technicality.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Russian isn’t just using cannon fodder.

Several notable military leaders for Russian and their partners have been KIA. Multiple units of special forces have been KIA. Their equipment loss is reaching staggeringly high numbers in both unit and costs. These units aren’t going to ever be replaced.

In less than a week they have lost more people and more hardware than the US lost in two decades in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Their losses are unsustainable. Even if they can capture major cities they dont have the ability to control them for that long.

The only thing they can do to takeover Ukraine at this point Is leveling the entire country with conventional WMDs or worse. They do that their country will suffer the same fate as NK for the next fifty years.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Mentioned already that elements of this were covered in the youtube vid posted earlier which references this Russian tactics study.

Well, I skimmed the relevant chapters and there's no mention of using crap troops as a tactic so I'm gonna guess the YouTube video is just some BS. I gather that you didn't bother to read the book yourself at all based on this reply so I think we can dismiss you as knowing fuck all.

Reactions: dank69

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Russian isn’t just using cannon fodder.

Several notable military leaders for Russian and their partners have been KIA. Multiple units of special forces have been KIA. Their equipment loss is reaching staggeringly high numbers in both unit and costs. These units aren’t going to ever be replaced.

In less than a week they have lost more people and more hardware than the US lost in two decades in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Their losses are unsustainable. Even if they can capture major cities they dont have the ability to control them for that long.

The only thing they can do to takeover Ukraine at this point Is leveling the entire country with conventional WMDs or worse. They do that their country will suffer the same fate as NK for the next fifty years.
True.. I remember that they assembled a Killing Squadron made out of Chechenyan special forces and they were all killed by Ukrainians

adamsleath

May 4, 2007
I vote for crappy planning. Putin is a dictator who is surrounded by yes men. I bet all his generals are yes men too.
Nobody is going to tell Putin his plan is shit.

plans have to be flexible. did they forsee the flooding obstacle near Kyiv? (ala Germany at the end of ww2 in Europe.)
?

lol

as for plans. what plans? making it up as they go.

the supply trains for armies is crucial of course.
so many examples of large military campaigns/operations that have been fucked up due to supply issues. throughout history.

to be 'successful' occupiers, nazi style tactics, forced labour, brutal subjugation (nazi style) is one way of occupying territory. the nazis were effing brutal..

subjugation. yeh it's a horrible prospect for any defeated nation. stupid war from the outset. Crimea presumably was a bit different.

what does russia have to offer ukraine? but misery? after a bunch of destruction and carnage and dead relatives?

Last edited:

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
And will be played over and over again in Russia to justify why the are fighting. Dumb comments are no help.

Yep ... Graham apparently fucked us over because he needed to look tough. By calling for assassination, he just made perfect propaganda for Russia, getting its people to possibly believe this is a war of the West going after Russia. He also made it much less likely, as Putin will add more security due to a foreign threat. And the oligarchs now look like Western traitors if they do it.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Been outside doing stuff. Anything important in the last 10 pages or so? Or just the usual banter?

In case no one ever answered you: the quality to quantity & pissing matches ratio has gone down substantially, brandonbull has become very active in this thread with his usual BS ("the Clintons" are behind everything bad basically). But still some quality posts, but a whole lot more chaff. Too bad, this was one of the best threads in P&N in a long time.

Last edited:

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Russia is now moving to another nuclear plant.

Y'all ready for round 2?

What's the plan here boys, just straight up shoot at the reactors today?

That convoy becoming toast and stuck in mud will be a turning point for this war. With no war chest, and nearly everything committed Putin doesn't have long until they either retreat, or point the gun at the worlds head.

Feb 4, 2009
plans have to be flexible. did they forsee the flooding obstacle near Kyiv? (ala Germany at the end of ww2 in Europe.)
?

lol

1 as for plans. what plans? making it up as they go.

the supply trains for armies is crucial of course.
so many examples of large military campaigns/operations that have been fucked up due to supply issues. throughout history.

to be 'successful' occupiers, nazi style tactics, forced labour, brutal subjugation (nazi style) is one way of occupying territory. the nazis were effing brutal..

subjugation. yeh it's a horrible prospect for any defeated nation. stupid war from the outset. Crimea presumably was a bit different.

what does russia have to offer ukraine? but misery? after a bunch of destruction and carnage and dead relatives?

1) So you agree, nobody told Putin his plans are shit. Having no plan is effectively a plan.

2) Please cite the dangerous disinformation coming from Europe or the US

adamsleath

May 4, 2007
2) Please cite the dangerous disinformation coming from Europe or the US

define "dangerous disinformation". dangerous to who? and what information exactly?

---> and try to confirm the extent of casualties on both sides accurately. best of luck with that.

there exists propaganda from many different commentators. all with their own slant or perspectives on events.

...but im thinking back to the cold war days prior to glasnost and the fall of the berlin wall. surely the world has moved on since then. even putin exists in a world far different to that time. Putin has been playing his games for a couple of decades now. perhaps his time is coming to an end.

==
not that i want an argument to escalate matters, or to present myself for subjugation to other's world views (it's a little thing called freedom, perhaps you're familiar with it)

freedom can take many forms, especially when it is constrained by practical considerations - like rules, civil conduct, invading armies wishing to seize assets (assets which some westerners certainly hold interests in yeh? - shit like that)

and as much as i think putin should keep his grubby hands out of ukraine, remember the repercussions of sanctions on russia around the world.

maybe im just interested on what a russia without putin, And without a frigging macdonalds franchise would look like XD. I think there is a better world possible, minus the superpowers playing their bullshit games.

Last edited: