Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1079 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yeah heard about Acer sending Russia a bunch of hardware via Switzerland. Let's hope Washington and Taipei come down hard on that. Higher end computer parts and software making it to Russia will cost lives. One would think with China's recent increase in belligerence and rhetoric the Taiwanese would be loathe to pick money over sanctions organized by their most significant benefactor. Guess not.

I wish I could say the same hasn't been happening here in the States, but at least we're trying to crack down on it.

Reactions: Leeea

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Syrian and Libyan flavored copium recipes looks like, to be enjoyed with a lot of vodka I'm guessing.

Track segments for armor? Oh my.

Last edited:

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Wow, you must be really pissed off then that Russia is trying to overthrow the elected government of Ukraine by force of arms! I mean, it’s totally their right by internationally agreed on precepts to invade Ukraine, and in particular, to bomb civilian targets of little to no strategic value. God speed to your Russian hero’s.

Oh, do we also need to recount for you the atrocities committed by Russian forces in Syria against civilian targets? It's almost like Putin and friends get a kick out of murdering innocent people. Oh wait….

heroes.

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
This should be interesting.

Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu ordered all Russian volunteer formations to sign a contract with the Ministry of Defense​

10:56, 11 June 2023
Source: Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation

All Russian volunteer units will sign contracts with the Ministry of Defense by July 1, Deputy Defense Minister Nikolai Pankov said at a conference call. The corresponding order was signed by the head of the military department Sergei Shoigu.
According to Pankov, this decision will make it possible to give volunteer formations the necessary legal status and expand the possibilities of recruiting units with both military personnel and "volunteers".
He also clarified that "volunteers" will be able to conclude individual contracts either with the volunteer detachments themselves or directly with the Ministry of Defense.
"The conclusion of contracts by citizens with the state is, first of all, the extension to them, as well as to their family members, of social protection and support measures established by the state," the deputy minister explained.
The department also announced an increase in the number of people who joined volunteer formations, of which there are currently more than 40.
The Sota Telegram channel suggested that with this order, the Ministry of Defense wants to subjugate Russian PMCs, including Wagner PMCs, which are now in the status of volunteer formations.
In turn, the founder of the Wagner PMC, Yevgeny Prigozhin, said that his PMC would not sign a contract with the Ministry of Defense, since Shoigu's orders apply only to employees of the department and military personnel, Prigozhin said. He also admitted that after his refusal, the Ministry of Defense may stop supplying ammunition to PMCs:
Let's figure it out, as they say, when the thunder breaks out, they will come running and bring weapons and ammunition with a request to "help".
During the full-scale war, the founder of the Wagner PMC, Yevgeny Prigozhin, repeatedly publicly criticized the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation and personally the head of the department, Sergei Shoigu. In particular, in the first months of 2023, Prigozhin several times accused the Ministry of Defense of refusing to issue ammunition to the Wagner PMC.

Reactions: RnR_au and KMFJD

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Ukraine seems to be making some progress in approaching the main Russian defense lines in a number of spots. Once they start getting close enough Ukrainian artillery and air will likely begin working over the trench systems.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Ukraine seems to be making some progress in approaching the main Russian defense lines in a number of spots. Once they start getting close enough Ukrainian artillery and air will likely begin working over the trench systems.
It does seem that the Russians did a good job preparing a defensive line and that the UA is having to move carefully, especially through the mine fields. This, for now, negates the typical advantage of western warfare which is speed of a attack (we payed attention to the WWII German offensive). It’s also making NATO armor vulnerable to arty fire.

Unfortunately, some Russian engineers either made mistakes on marking up the mine maps, or the Russian units don’t have them and the RU is suffering casualties in retreat by their own ineptitude. I mean, this is a good thing for the UA, but still almost inconceivable.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It does seem that the Russians did a good job preparing a defensive line and that the UA is having to move carefully, especially through the mine fields. This, for now, negates the typical advantage of western warfare which is speed of a attack (we payed attention to the WWII German offensive). It’s also making NATO armor vulnerable to arty fire.

Unfortunately, some Russian engineers either made mistakes on marking up the mine maps, or the Russian units don’t have them and the RU is suffering casualties in retreat by their own ineptitude. I mean, this is a good thing for the UA, but still almost inconceivable.

The Russians are wasteful with everything including their own manpower.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
The Russians are wasteful with everything including their own manpower.
Thats basically their doctrine. Overwhelm with numbers and fuck the loss rate. It works when you have 10:1 forces and twice the loss rate. It becomes a losing proposition at 3:1 forces and 5x loss rate.