Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 102 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Strange that media embeds do not work for you.
Do you have twitter itself blocked?

Here is what it is supposed to look like.
ET6dVfL.png
I have Twitter, Youtube and Facebook Blocked from work. I can't see the images you posted.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Yeah, while I agree with the sentiment ... we're not implementing an NFZ over Ukraine. If you get to that point, might as well start taking shots when you get them. It'll be the same thing.
Yeah, I thought about that one this morning and came to same conclusion. Russia won't respect it if it was declared so the only way to make it effective would be to shoot down Russian planes and helicopters and that would escalate very quickly.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Why bother? You already declared China the winner of the world. Look you want to run around shitting your pants today be my guest.

Abandoning the world to belligerents like Russia and China is a good way to accomplish that, if it were a goal of yours.
You ARE here speaking against taking action.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Yeah, I thought about that one this morning and came to same conclusion. Russia won't respect it if it was declared so the only way to make it effective would be to shoot down Russian planes and helicopters and that would escalate very quickly.

I'd be interested to see how the S-400s perform, but not at that cost.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of their systems are lots of bark and very little bite. This isn't a stellar show they're putting on with the whole world watching. Kinda embarrassing to be perfectly honest, and that can't be helping with Vlad's mindset at all. They really look like a middling bully with an over exaggerated capability that really only has nukes.

Ukraine is putting on an interesting audition for NATO though. Tough SOBs. I understand there's quite a positive impression of them from our side. At least in terms of the improvement they've made in the last decade or so.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Abandoning the world to belligerents like Russia and China is a good way to accomplish that, if it were a goal of yours.
You ARE here speaking against taking action.
The action that should have been taken before now was admitting Ukraine to NATO. We are long past that point. So I ask you again: How many American lives are you willing to spend to get into a shooting war with Russia now?

You've already advocated for sinking the Russian navy in the Black Sea. How do you think that will turn out? How big of a conflict do you want right now?

For the record cut Russia off from SWIFT right now, make them a pariah state, inflict all the economic pain we can, where we can provide weapons to Ukraine. I don't advocate for doing nothing, but I think a getting into a shooting war is a really fucking dumb move.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I'd be interested to see how the S-400s perform, but not at that cost.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of their systems are lots of bark and very little bite. This isn't a stellar show they're putting on with the whole world watching. Kinda embarrassing to be perfectly honest, and that can't be helping with Vlad's mindset at all. They really look like a middling bully with an over exaggerated capability that really only has nukes.

Ukraine is putting on an interesting audition for NATO though. Tough SOBs. I understand there's quite a positive impression of them from our side. At least in terms of the improvement they've made in the last decade or so.

From what I recall CERTAIN aircraft from a CERTAIN country got to have fun over Syria and the S400 systems were none the wiser.

Reactions: Ajay

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
As we watch the destruction of Ukraine, realize we are also watching the destruction of the Democrat party at home. Agree or disagree, everything in the past 14 months will be hung around their necks, paving the way for a nice "only I can fix it" strongman moment. And the majority will embrace it.

Don't even worry about the state legislatures or fake electors or anything else at this point. It will be a blow out and they won't hold power for a long, long time.

Maybe Bannon's "100 seats for 100 years" was right.

• Haha
Reactions: uclaLabrat

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
From what I recall CERTAIN aircraft from a CERTAIN country got to have fun over Syria and the S400 systems were none the wiser.

I missed that then. Like I said though, wouldn't shock me one damn bit. They've (Russians) done a hell of a marketing job getting all their satellite states to buy them though.

I've always worried about Turkey using them. Not just from the above concern (not as good as advertised), but that they'd get a neutered version or one that was subject to ... outside control. Turkey worries me for several more reasons wrt NATO, but that's another discussion. And that's not an uncommon thought either.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
As we watch the destruction of Ukraine, realize we are also watching the destruction of the Democrat party at home. Agree or disagree, everything in the past 14 months will be hung around their necks, paving the way for a nice "only I can fix it" strongman moment. And the majority will embrace it.

Don't even worry about the state legislatures or fake electors or anything else at this point. It will be a blow out and they won't hold power for a long, long time.

Maybe Bannon's "100 seats for 100 years" was right.
I can only imagine you at a restaurant. ‘My steak is undercooked! You know what this means - a landslide for Republicans. We are doomed.’