Rush is a wanna be Yes

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
<Ooh, shiny lure!>
Yes sucked.

If you're old enough to remember that Yes sucked, you're too old.

Last edited:
Reactions: repoman0

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Yes has some ok song but Rush is a lot better imo. I guess technically they're probably both considered the same genre but I think they sound pretty different.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
My exposure to both comes from traveling with my dad, though honestly I've never been able to get into Rush. Not unlike how my discomfort over Fran Dreschers voice/laugh caused me to never watch The Nanny. Sounds stupid in a way I can't explain, not unlike how country makes me cringe a little. In some cases a lot. Yes has a couple songs that are ok I guess.

I'd prefer to skip both and put on some Floyd instead (sorry).

Last edited:
Reactions: lxskllr

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I disagree. Yes was pretty good. Rush makes me change the radio/Sirius station. Geddy Lee's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. (same with Axl Rose)

Nov 17, 2019
Lots of high voice screechin' in Yes too.

Weird side note. I saw a documentary of sorts on Rush a few years back and kept wondering who the old lady was that was in so many scenes.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't think there's a question of Floyd OR Yes OR Rush OR ELP.

Is there?
Yeah, I couldn't get into ELP. Lucky Man is still a solid jam though.
Not really big into Yes either.
Listened to pretty much everything Floyd and Rush have put out though.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Both bands were tremendously talented, but Geddy Lee's voice turned a lot of people off. Rush doesn't get the credit they deserve for musical innovation, I believe as a direct result.

I saw both of them in concert and both bands were incredible. :)

Yes was overall slightly more impressive in MSG but when you take into account only 3 guys in Rush, they made an amazing amount of sound. It was quite an experience in what amounted to a large Broadway-theater sized venue.

(1980 Permanent Waves tour @ NYC's Palladium)

Ferrari355

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2000
My dad thought Rush was the greatest band ever and one of their songs paved the way for white rappers.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
I liked Kansas a lot too back in the day but musically it's not even close.

Of course had you instead written: "I like Kansas a lot more then Rush" I couldn't have said a word!

;)

Robby Steinhardt and the violin just catapults Kansas into another level of Rock bands!

Rush is pretty OK too. ;)

Reactions: Captante

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
I have been listening to RUSH since I bought "Moving Pictures". Geddy, Alex and Neil one each of their instruments are on another level. The fact that Geddy would switch between bass and keyboard while singing is amazing. The complexity of their songs from rhythm and chord progression is amazing at times. Here is an example where the band plays at least 15 different parts of songs before landing on "Sprit of Radio" Rush Best Intro Ever I have never seen another band even attempt to do something like this. I am not saying every song pure gold there are songs that never made it to the radio that are worth to listen to. They are one of the only bands to last for 40 years and never broke up. Neil was not the original drummer but they endured the test of time.

The band YES did inspire RUSH to play more complex and progressive music. Rush went through phases, hard rock progressive long songs, shorter readio friendly songs, songs that with synths and electric drums, a song with rap in it, back to basic hard rock, cover songs, and finally their swan song. The Garden Everyone can learn from that song. Even OP.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I may make my first online buy of a Rush song after this. Back then I had one vinyl and a couple cassettes of them. And Yes too except more vinyl.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
this is the first i'm hearing of either of these bands

based solely on the name, rush sounds more exciting but yes sounds more agreeable

also people have told me i'm a yes man

so i vote yes

• Haha

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
200.gif

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
There's a couple of Rush songs i like but nothing by Yes, it's always been an instant press fwd