Rush is a wanna be Yes

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
I was referring to actual music, not talking to a synthetic-beat. ;)

SOME rappers are very talented poets but the vast majority are hacks pumping out violent, misogynistic and crime-promoting garbage.

The specific issue isn't the "rap" itself, it's the stupidity of the people who believe listening to scumbag thugs talk about killing people selling drugs and shooting cops 24/7 is A-okay because it has a beat.

(And so-called "death-metal" is no better although some of those guys can at least read music and play an instrument!)

Good example, while the lyrics do nothing for me and I know it is heavily auto-tuned. She is pure confidence that’s what I like about it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Good example, while the lyrics do nothing for me and I know it is heavily auto-tuned. She is pure confidence that’s what I like about it.

I like a few of Cardi-B's songs but if you listen to anything she says IRL you may find it a bit... umm... discouraging.

It's easy to be "confident" when there's not a lot going on upstairs.

Last edited:

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
I like some Yes and some Rush, but prefer Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull who probably also fits the prog rock label.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Mastodon and Tool are arguably progressive rock as well, you can hear influences from King Crimson, Rush, Yes, early Genesis, ELP and Pink Floyd in their music, especially in bass, keyboards, synthesizers and other effects.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I like some Yes and some Rush, but prefer Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull who probably also fits the prog rock label.

I'm not sure old Jethro Tull fits under ANY label ... they were a category of 1!
(I realize Ian Anderson is still kicking around)

:p

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I was referring to actual music, not talking to a synthetic-beat. ;)

SOME rappers are very talented poets but the vast majority are hacks pumping out violent, misogynistic and crime-promoting garbage.

The specific issue isn't the "rap" itself, it's the stupidity of the people who believe listening to scumbag thugs talk about killing people selling drugs and shooting cops 24/7 is A-okay because it has a beat.

(And so-called "death-metal" is no better although some of those guys can at least read music and play an instrument!)
I don't think that's a true reflection of rap, you're coming across like a grampa who only remembers when gangsta rap was up and coming in the 90s. Yeah, there's some of that, but it ain't like rock hasn't had it's share of the promotion of violence, misogyny, and promoting of crimes.
What's your beef with death metal, though?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I don't think that's a true reflection of rap, you're coming across like a grampa who only remembers when gangsta rap was up and coming in the 90s. Yeah, there's some of that, but it ain't like rock hasn't had it's share of the promotion of violence, misogyny, and promoting of crimes.
What's your beef with death metal, though?

I've heard PLENTY of new rap living in New Haven... it's gotten exponentially worse not better.

And I love a lot of metal and/or hard rock for the talented musicians however I don't like anything that glorifies things like worshipping Satan, racism, or encouraging violence/suicide which a crap-ton of metal does.

Last edited:

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Mastodon and Tool are arguably progressive rock as well, you can hear influences from King Crimson, Rush, Yes, early Genesis, ELP and Pink Floyd in their music, especially in bass, keyboards, synthesizers and other effects.
I'd say both Mastodon and Tool are progressive bands, Mastodon I'd put more as progressive metal than rock.

If people can handle death metal singing I'd say check out Between the Buried and Me, they're basically progressive death metal and they're damn amazing, their Colors album is just awesome. Protest the Hero is another good progressive metal band too, doesn't have the death metal vocals so prolly easier for most people to digest.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've heard PLENTY of new rap living in New Haven... it's gotten exponentially worse not better.

And I love a lot of metal and/or hard rock for the talented musicians however I don't like anything that glorifies things like worshipping Satan, racism or suicide.
There's plenty of rap that's not like that at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And LOL
Yes, you are uninformed regarding death metal as a genre. Very. Essentially none of them ACTUALLY worship Satan (I expect there's probably a non-zero number, but not statistically significant), the racist ones are pricks who can FOAD obviously, and the bit about glorifying suicide is just nonsense. We gonna shut down Ozzy and Metallica for Suicide Solution and Fade to Black?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
There's plenty of rap that's not like that at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And LOL
Yes, you are uninformed regarding death metal as a genre. Very. Essentially none of them ACTUALLY worship Satan (I expect there's probably a non-zero number, but not statistically significant), the racist ones are pricks who can FOAD obviously, and the bit about glorifying suicide is just nonsense. We gonna shut down Ozzy and Metallica for Suicide Solution and Fade to Black?

Don't kid yourself .... a lot of those dudes are exactly what they say they are.

I listen to a lot of different music including the lyrics and some of the shit I've heard even in main-stream metal was literally horrifying, especially from the perspective of a young/naive person listening to it.

And I don't horrify easily. At all.

• Haha
Reactions: nakedfrog
Nov 17, 2019
I think that's being VERY kind on (c)Rap. My opinion of it is many octaves lower (music pun inserted). I fully despise it in all forms and would ban it worldwide if I could. I see it as absolute, utter, total and complete garbage.

ATOT wouldn't let me express my true opinion though.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Laugh all you want.... but words do have power and some of the lyrics in some rap do promote violence against women and police in particular.

Some death/heavy-metal promotes hate, racism, violence plus encourages suicide and self-hate.

You making light of that fact doesn't make it any less true. ;)

EDIT: You may not realize it but I'm a life-long rocker and have been to many metal-shows. (even a few rap/R&B shows.... that I was dragged to!)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
^^ That's what's kind of cool about The Skull. Though the music often sounds like a funeral dirge, the lyrics aren't all that different than most songs.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Laugh all you want.... but words do have power and some of the lyrics in some rap do promote violence against women and police in particular.

Some death/heavy-metal promotes hate, racism, violence plus encourages suicide and self-hate.

You making light of that fact doesn't make it any less true. ;)

EDIT: You may not realize it but I'm a life-long rocker and have been to many metal-shows.
I wasn't disputing that there's some percentage of rap that has that content (and again, also rock), nor that some tiny percentage of death metal is racist, but I think it's laughable to say any of it "encourages" suicide, and super laughable to attribute legitimate Satan-worship to any meaningful portion of it. Bands singing about suicide and self-hate isn't automatically encouraging it, it's often a cathartic listen for people to hear those thoughts coming from another, that they're not the only one that's experienced those thoughts and feelings. I still actively listen to death metal and go to all sorts of concerts. I did note you didn't acknowledge my comment on Ozzy and Metallica at all, it's not like this is new ground being covered, accusing metal bands of promoting suicide.

Reactions: VashHT
Nov 17, 2019
Elton did the light and lively 'I Think I'm Gonna Kill Myself'.

And there was 'Alone Again Naturally' and the bit about the tower.

Lots of songs go there.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

And I love a lot of metal and/or hard rock for the talented musicians however I don't like anything that glorifies things like worshipping Satan, racism, or encouraging violence/suicide which a crap-ton of metal does.
I quite enjoy Nightwish.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I wasn't disputing that there's some percentage of rap that has that content (and again, also rock), nor that some tiny percentage of death metal is racist, but I think it's laughable to say any of it "encourages" suicide, and super laughable to attribute legitimate Satan-worship to any meaningful portion of it. Bands singing about suicide and self-hate isn't automatically encouraging it, it's often a cathartic listen for people to hear those thoughts coming from another, that they're not the only one that's experienced those thoughts and feelings. I still actively listen to death metal and go to all sorts of concerts. I did note you didn't acknowledge my comment on Ozzy and Metallica at all, it's not like this is new ground being covered, accusing metal bands of promoting suicide.

If the religious (right word?) aspect of the word "satanic" bugs you just substitute a nice generic "evil".

;)

And I didn't acknowledge the Ozzy/Metallica stuff because the way that they sang about suicide was not nearly the same thing I'm talking about.

That older stuff is "rated G" relatively.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I mean, at the end of the day, it's still essentially the exact same as pearl-clutching over Alice Cooper and KISS (LOL, and even AC/DC, I remember being told they were unholy and it stood for "Anti-Christ/Demonic Current"), just applied to newer bands.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
^Yeah pretty much, none of the metal I listen to has anything to do with suicide, racism or Satan worshipping so not sure what he's going on about. I'm sure there's stuff out there but it's definitely not the norm for metal bands.

Nov 17, 2019
How did anyone get Nightwish out of this thread?

A closer group might be Epica, Kamelot or maybe Symphony X. They all tend to use 'demonic' imagery.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
^Yeah pretty much, none of the metal I listen to has anything to do with suicide, racism or Satan worshipping so not sure what he's going on about. I'm sure there's stuff out there but it's definitely not the norm for metal bands.

I didn't mean to imply "all" metal-bands by any means but there IS some nasty stuff floating around out there.

I'd actually suggest against doing this, but if you Google "white-supremacist heavy metal", "Satanic Heavy-Metal" (remember what you and I believe doesn't constrain superstitious nut-cases) or something along those lines you'll see some things you just can't un-see.

And I find it funny that anyone would think any content that wasn't SEVERELY fvcked up would even bother me a tiny bit.

:p

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Black Sabbath & much more-so Metallica are plain vanilla "mainstream" metal.... very talented classics but pretty mild by todays standards.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I mean, at the end of the day, it's still essentially the exact same as pearl-clutching over Alice Cooper and KISS (LOL, and even AC/DC, I remember being told they were unholy and it stood for "Anti-Christ/Demonic Current"), just applied to newer bands.

Except when you listen to lyrics they might be a little crazy/pervy but they're NOT actually all that fvcked up. That's that difference.

I have to admit Cooper DID actually have a few sick ones! :p

*(IE: Dead Babies, Cold Ethyl, Inmates)

EDIT: Also note that I've dropped all reference to anything religious because it doesn't matter to me. If I use a word like "satanic" it's because that's how people refer to themselves not because of anything I believe.

Last edited: