Rush is a wanna be Yes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Both are amazing bands. The original Yes line up is essential progressive rock, its interesting that the more radio friendly bands that Yes splintered across in the 80s (Asia, Yes-west and even ABWH) all started to sound like Rush.

Reactions: zinfamous

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Both bands are talented, and I like neither of them. Pink Floyd was mentioned as a "progressive rock" band, which I've heard before, but I can't reconcile that with the sound of every other "progressive rock" band. Either Floyd is progressive rock, or Yes is, but it can't be both. I like Pink Floyd.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Both bands are talented, and I like neither of them. Pink Floyd was mentioned as a "progressive rock" band, which I've heard before, but I can't reconcile that with the sound of every other "progressive rock" band. Either Floyd is progressive rock, or Yes is, but it can't be both. I like Pink Floyd.
Nah, they're both progressive rock. It's more of a contrasting term, as opposed to hard rock, with straight-forward chord progressions and time signatures. Progressive rock plays with the formula more, often with longer songs, and often times conceptual elements.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Yes blows. Rush is fine.

Owner of a Lonely Heart is one of the most annoying songs ever.

By that time both bands sucked. Moving Pictures (1981) was the first Rush albums with tracks that MUST be skipped. Last one I ever bought.

About the same time Yes sold out as well. After Drama (1980).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Pink Floyd...kinda after the Beach Boys in a way, but truly were the first to "create music from noise" using synthesizers and cut tracks that way. No one really did that to the level and understanding of Floyd, before DSOTM was released. It's that important. Pretty much there is like, Before DSOTM, and After DSOTM, when it comes to making "modern rock/pop albums," or whatever you want to call it.

Yes also prefigures a lot of hard rock and metal in ways that a lot of ignorant diaper-wearing "I love scandinavian death metal!" idiots think music is about. It's all evolutionary. If you can't see what those guys were doing at that time and understand what it means now, to fans that like other genres, then that is a detriment to taste (Not you--just a general comment). No one has to like or be a fan of this stuff, just "get it."

Obviously, PF is the best of all, and they are clearly Progressive by "the standards of how we label genres," and they are the standard bearers. Rush and Yes fall into this category, because they were all "making noise with non-standard means," and fiddling with driving rhythms that hadn't really been heard before. (people get confused because PF was pretty much the middle of Psychedelic for maybe 5 years, then Barret ate a shot of acid...stuff happened and he went byebye...and viola! they basically created progressive by mistake!)

Later Yes is pretty cheesy (I mean, just like The Grateful Dead--the greatest American R&R-Folk-Blues-all band ever and there really is no debate about this, but I digress), but you can't listen to Roundabout and All Good People and their cover of Something's Coming (Sondheim) and not understand how fucking brilliant and influential they were for a spell.

And Rush is fucking awesome too...whom I much prefer to Yes...but I mean, I get the criticism.

What about the voice of Geddy Lee
How did it get so high
I wonder if he talks like an ordinary guy

etc....

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes blows. Rush is fine.

Owner of a Lonely Heart is one of the most annoying songs ever.

Man, then you're really going to hate this band called Led Zeppelin, because of their albums Exit through Stage Left, and after...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Both are amazing bands. The original Yes line up is essential progressive rock, its interesting that the more radio friendly bands that Yes splintered across in the 80s (Asia, Yes-west and even ABWH) all started to sound like Rush.

lol! of all people get resurrected into the forums to come out swinging and defend Yes..

:beercheers:

Reactions: Captante

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Pink Floyd...kinda after the Beach Boys in a way, but truly were the first to "create music from noise" using synthesizers and cut tracks that way. No one really did that to the level and understanding of Floyd, before DSOTM was released. It's that important. Pretty much there is like, Before DSOTM, and After DSOTM, when it comes to making "modern rock/pop albums," or whatever you want to call it.

Yes also prefigures a lot of hard rock and metal in ways that a lot of ignorant diaper-wearing "I love scandinavian death metal!" idiots think music is about. It's all evolutionary. If you can't see what those guys were doing at that time and understand what it means now, to fans that like other genres, then that is a detriment to taste (Not you--just a general comment). No one has to like or be a fan of this stuff, just "get it."

Obviously, PF is the best of all, and they are clearly Progressive by "the standards of how we label genres," and they are the standard bearers. Rush and Yes fall into this category, because they were all "making noise with non-standard means," and fiddling with driving rhythms that hadn't really been heard before. (people get confused because PF was pretty much the middle of Psychedelic for maybe 5 years, then Barret ate a shot of acid...stuff happened and he went byebye...and viola! they basically created progressive by mistake!)

Later Yes is pretty cheesy (I mean, just like The Grateful Dead--the greatest American R&R-Folk-Blues-all band ever and there really is no debate about this, but I digress), but you can't listen to Roundabout and All Good People and their cover of Something's Coming (Sondheim) and not understand how fucking brilliant and influential they were for a spell.

And Rush is fucking awesome too...whom I much prefer to Yes...but I mean, I get the criticism.

What about the voice of Geddy Lee
How did it get so high
I wonder if he talks like an ordinary guy

etc....
I think we're just going to have to agree that you're wrong.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If the gameplay, art, story, and mechanics weren't enough to persuade you that Homeworld was an absolutely fantastic game, Relic had Yes perform the end credits song to push it over the top.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
If the gameplay, art, story, and mechanics weren't enough to persuade you that Homeworld was an absolutely fantastic game, Relic had Yes perform the end credits song to push it over the top.

ah man, you got me on a 1+ hour binge of watching homeworld videos. i haven't played those games for 20 years now.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
^^^ Don't ask me what I think about people who listen to 'rap'. You won't like it.

I was referring to actual music, not talking to a synthetic-beat. ;)

SOME rappers are very talented poets but the vast majority are hacks pumping out violent, misogynistic and crime-promoting garbage.

The specific issue isn't the "rap" itself, it's the stupidity of the people who believe listening to scumbag thugs talk about killing people selling drugs and shooting cops 24/7 is A-okay because it has a beat.

(And so-called "death-metal" is no better although some of those guys can at least read music and play an instrument!)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
^^^ I stumbled on a group doing something called 'doom metal'. Band is The Skull and some of their stuff is pretty good ... mellow, dramatic, but still musical enough to mix in with other rock.

Reactions: Captante