Question RTX 4090 Rumored to cost 2999.99

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
TSMC = Taiwanese Silicon Mining Company.... they should just change their name, as all the mining cards except asics are from them now.

jeez, i remember kicking myself for paying almost 1600$ for a 3090 zotac

at these prices i expect it to be the last GPU i buy in a decade

1800 dollars here for my 3090 ftw3 ultra..... thank god i got it also, and also a ultra and not a regular as the regulars i hear are the ones with the bad solder.

At the time i was kicking myself because its only a measly 10-15% if any performance increase over a 3080 at double the price.
But that increase in performance is large if you factor in, can you even get a 3080....

Reactions: CP5670

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Hopefully however all predictions have been wrong so far.
I thought China all but banning it we would see relief and we really haven’t.
China have been trying to ban crypto for so long now. Because they want their own version their government can control. It's not really anything new and talk of this is what has caused some of the drops in crypto since those that freak out end up dumping.

Reactions: Tlh97 and ozzy702

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia created the next coin for GPU mining. Honestly they should. It's good for business.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
It's unbelievable that a single, stupid digital coin has halted PC gaming in it's tracks for 2 years. Millions of PC upgrades didn't happen because of Ethereum. Absolutely ridiculous. A single BS digital coin can end up killing an entire industry. Mining is a complete catastrophe. There has to be another way to get your stupid coins besides destroying an existing industry. Mining is a parasitic, satanic anal worm.

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
$3000 huh? guess I'll have to get another credit card

But really, who will buy a gaming card for that? It's absurd but I guess graphics cards became too general and too capable.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
jeez, i remember kicking myself for paying almost 1600$ for a 3090 zotac

at these prices i expect it to be the last GPU i buy in a decade

I extended the warranty for the eVGA 3090 in my signature to 5 years. I typically purchase the latest hardware, but skipped the 2000 series because the value proposition just wasn't there IMO, so going 3-4 years between upgrades was a long time for me. I figure the 3000 series cards I was able to obtain will get my teenage boys to college age, and I'll let them worry about upgrades at that point. For my personal gaming rig, I really don't see the GPU issues going away until 2023 at the earliest, so I got the extension to 5 years because I realistically think I'll keep my 3090 that long.

P.S. Funny thing is my laptop has a 2070 mobile, which is roughly equivalent to a GTX 1080 desktop card, and I can play most of what I play at 1440p without issue still. Time to work through some backlog I suppose over the next 5 years.

Reactions: CP5670

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I extended the warranty for the eVGA 3090 in my signature to 5 years. I typically purchase the latest hardware, but skipped the 2000 series because the value proposition just wasn't there IMO, so going 3-4 years between upgrades was a long time for me. I figure the 3000 series cards I was able to obtain will get my teenage boys to college age, and I'll let them worry about upgrades at that point. For my personal gaming rig, I really don't see the GPU issues going away until 2023 at the earliest, so I got the extension to 5 years because I realistically think I'll keep my 3090 that long.

P.S. Funny thing is my laptop has a 2070 mobile, which is roughly equivalent to a GTX 1080 desktop card, and I can play most of what I play at 1440p without issue still. Time to work through some backlog I suppose over the next 5 years.
I was thinking of extending the warranty on my 3080Ti too. Specifically with all the posts I've seen on the evga forums of that Amazon game New world frying the EVGA 3090 cards due to bad soldering.

But I don't think it was specific to 3090 cars as I have heard from a few 3080Ti users the same thing happened.

How much is the extra warranty?

I don't think I'll jump on the 40 series bandwagon at all seeing how the shortage has been so far. I kept my 1080ti for 4.5 years so I'll keep this card for pretty much the same time frame.

Feb 4, 2009
I was thinking of extending the warranty on my 3080Ti too. Specifically with all the posts I've seen on the evga forums of that Amazon game New world frying the EVGA 3090 cards due to bad soldering.

But I don't think it was specific to 3090 cars as I have heard from a few 3080Ti users the same thing happened.

I don't think I'll jump on the 40 series bandwagon at all seeing how the shortage has been so far. I kept my 1080ti for 4.5 years so I'll keep this card for pretty much the same time frame.

While I think everyone in our current environment should buy an extended warranty on their card, the New World thing effect about a dozen owners who had a faulty solder on their cards.
Look in the PC Gaming new world thread.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
It's unbelievable that a single, stupid digital coin has halted PC gaming in it's tracks for 2 years. Millions of PC upgrades didn't happen because of Ethereum. Absolutely ridiculous. A single BS digital coin can end up killing an entire industry. Mining is a complete catastrophe. There has to be another way to get your stupid coins besides destroying an existing industry. Mining is a parasitic, satanic anal worm.

100%.

PC gaming is a massive creation of community, art, social groups, a vibrant world and hobby that was easy and reasonable to buy into. Yes, it remains, but I spent over a $1000 on my video card. I am strongly compelled to start a cryptocurrency mining business just to pay for it.

Mining is destroying the PC gaming community and the environment. What started as a libertarian ideal is becoming a dystopian hell scape. It is time criminalize some cryptocurrencies.

Reactions: Tlh97 and psolord

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003

$30 for 2 extra years or $60 for 10 years total if I remember correctly. You have to do it within 90 days too I believe.

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I have owned every nvidia Ti card since 780Ti, 980Ti, 1080Ti and 2080Ti and my inability to find a 3080, 3090 or 3080Ti for the past year has really made me ask myself if it is time to call it quits on PC gaming.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
I've moved on to gaming laptops, I'll never pay these ridiculous prices for a desktop graphics card.

This is where I'm at too. I was in the market for a gaming laptop due to some traveling for work I was doing. Picked up an MSI Alpha 15 with a R7 4800H and 5600m. My plan was to get a card when I get home in a few months, but the way the world is going....ehhhh

The dumb thing was I sold my 5700xt out of my main rig when prices were climbing again. I struck too soon, turned a profit, but nowhere near what I could have gotten now. My whole plan was sit on the profit and wait until prices fell. It kills me that I have a perfectly good rig sitting there, and I can't even find a reasonable budget card to pop in just to get it moving again. Oh the hindsight....so now I'm a laptop gamer.

I'm looking at deals such as:

11th gen i7, 140w 3070, $1,499

Ryzen 9 5900HX, 6800m, $1,649

I can't overlook that I'm getting an entire system for the price of one of these over-inflated parts. But I can actually get these systems *now.* I don't need to play games, or screw around with e-bay. At this point I'm probably just going to get one of these laptops to upgrade over my current one, and just plug it into all my peripherals that used to be connected to my desktop rig. Sadfase.

Reactions: Racan

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
That is what they said in 2021. :(

This time for sure!

Seriously it was supposed to be dead in 2019. And actually it did die (or go into a lull) when the market went into a massive correction in late 2018/early 2019. But PoS is a long time coming, and it looks like Ethereum is finally going to do it thanks to pressure from projects like Cardano.

Then we will have to find someone else to blame for $3000 video cards.

Reactions: Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
This time for sure!

Seriously it was supposed to be dead in 2019. And actually it did die (or go into a lull) when the market went into a massive correction in late 2018/early 2019. But PoS is a long time coming, and it looks like Ethereum is finally going to do it thanks to pressure from projects like Cardano.

Then we will have to find someone else to blame for $3000 video cards.

Outlaw machine learning developers! It is all thier fault. Who needs self driving cars automated killer drones anyway?

PC gaming forever! save the human race! Outlaw AI!

Who needs CAD designers anyway? Engineering is over rated. Slide rule and a drafting board is all they really need anyway.
Weather simulations? over rated. Why does anyone need to know if it is going to rain anyway? Your supposed to be inside staring at your computer screen.
Aerodynamics testing? Airplane crashes are acceptable losses. Your supposed to stay home and embrace virtual worlds instead.
Landing rockets? Think of all the jobs being lost!
Disease research? If we all self quarantine and stare at our computer screens playing PC games like we are supposed to that is not going to be needed.
Circuit simulation? pffft
Fractals? nothing more then pretty artwork if you ask me
Hydrology? does anyone really care when a dam collapses?
CGI? TV rots your brain anyway
Movies? Inferior to video games, should be outlawed
Astronomy? It is not like we have ever had anything hit the earth before. Also, world is only 6000 years old. And SETI is a secret government conspiracy to spy on my brain waves! -peaks out from a 10 gallon tin foil hat-

Last edited:

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I have owned every nvidia Ti card since 780Ti, 980Ti, 1080Ti and 2080Ti and my inability to find a 3080, 3090 or 3080Ti for the past year has really made me ask myself if it is time to call it quits on PC gaming.

Same here except for the 2080 ti. In a perfect world where supply was meeting demand, I'd have purchased 4 eVGA 3080s for $700-800 each and been done. Right now I've purchased when the opportunity presented itself and ended up with a 3090, 3080, 3070 ti, and 3070. Also, because bizarro world, even purchasing at MSRP, I paid slightly more for the 3070 ($850) and much more for the 3070 ti (just shy of $1080) than I did for the 3080 ($812); I got the 3080 near launch though. The only eVGA card I was able to get was the 3090 FTW3 Ultra for $1700.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
This is where I'm at too. I was in the market for a gaming laptop due to some traveling for work I was doing. Picked up an MSI Alpha 15 with a R7 4800H and 5600m. My plan was to get a card when I get home in a few months, but the way the world is going....ehhhh

The dumb thing was I sold my 5700xt out of my main rig when prices were climbing again. I struck too soon, turned a profit, but nowhere near what I could have gotten now. My whole plan was sit on the profit and wait until prices fell. It kills me that I have a perfectly good rig sitting there, and I can't even find a reasonable budget card to pop in just to get it moving again. Oh the hindsight....so now I'm a laptop gamer.

I'm looking at deals such as:

11th gen i7, 140w 3070, $1,499

Ryzen 9 5900HX, 6800m, $1,649

I can't overlook that I'm getting an entire system for the price of one of these over-inflated parts. But I can actually get these systems *now.* I don't need to play games, or screw around with e-bay. At this point I'm probably just going to get one of these laptops to upgrade over my current one, and just plug it into all my peripherals that used to be connected to my desktop rig. Sadfase.

I sold a desktop with a GTX 1080 and R5 3600 for $1100 and purchased a laptop with essentially the same specs (Intel hex core with 2070 8GB) for $1300 . This was mainly because I needed a new laptop, as my old one was going on 8-9 years old and way overdue for an update. I normally don't go with gaming laptops though, but it made sense this go around due to the inflated price of desktop GPUs. That said, I love being able to game on the go and setting up a for a desktop replacement at home involves plugging in power, video, and 2 USB cords. It's super convenient.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

I typically have bought used cards or mid tier cards since I'm happy with their performance and I figured if they wore out I could just buy another one or a newer one to replace it. That calculus is right out the window!

Even if I could stomach thousands of dollars for a card, which maybe I could if my house would stop falling apart, I would now want to insure it some way or have a long warranty. Can you get a rider on your home owners for a RTX 4090?