Question RTX 4090 Rumored to cost 2999.99

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Even if eth moves to POS, there are plenty of other coins using POW. At this point mining is a multi billion dollar industry with several public companies that focus on it. I don't see the demand there going away for a long time.

Maybe at some point financing a video card will be a thing, just like financing a car or house. Nvidia and the AIBs will get into the business of making loans.

All true. 2080Ti was a hilarious $1200 and they flew off the shelves in an instant, and mining wasn't even an issue then. There were no supply issues either. The price for the Ti went from $700 to $1200 in a single generation and gamers didn't bat an eye. They groaned about it and then they just charged it to a credit card and to this day they call that card a great value and they are glad they bought it. We need to stop lying to ourselves about these products. They are worth 2 to 3 times the current msrp and it would do everyone a favor if they'd just stop messing around and start charging the appropriate price. The market chaos would finally stop and there would be cards in stock long enough to snag one on release day if you try hard enough.
The price floor has been raised yet again by miners and gamers have shown they are willing to accept it because they continue to buy them on ebay no problem. Increase msrp 3x across the board and then continue the incremental increases each generation after that. But right now the msrp is just incorrect for all of these cards and in no way does it reflect what gamers are willing to pay, let alone miners. People will pay $800 for a 4060. Why should they charge half that price and let the scalpers control everything? It's just stupid. Charge the right price from the start. Also, they should bring back quad SLI because if you can afford one that means you can afford 4.

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
All true. 2080Ti was a hilarious $1200 and they flew off the shelves in an instant, and mining wasn't even an issue then. There were no supply issues either. The price for the Ti went from $700 to $1200 in a single generation and gamers didn't bat an eye. They groaned about it and then they just charged it to a credit card and to this day they call that card a great value and they are glad they bought it. We need to stop lying to ourselves about these products. They are worth 2 to 3 times the current msrp and it would do everyone a favor if they'd just stop messing around and start charging the appropriate price. The market chaos would finally stop and there would be cards in stock long enough to snag one on release day if you try hard enough.
The price floor has been raised yet again by miners and gamers have shown they are willing to accept it because they continue to buy them on ebay no problem. Increase msrp 3x across the board and then continue the incremental increases each generation after that. But right now the msrp is just incorrect for all of these cards and in no way does it reflect what gamers are willing to pay, let alone miners. People will pay $800 for a 4060. Why should they charge half that price and let the scalpers control everything? It's just stupid. Charge the right price from the start. Also, they should bring back quad SLI because if you can afford one that means you can afford 4.

That would be the death of PC gaming. Overpriced GPUs means a smaller market, and means less incentive for game developers to target PC. Hope you enjoy the crap console ports we got in the early 2000s when developers gave up on PC.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
That would be the death of PC gaming. Overpriced GPUs means a smaller market, and means less incentive for game developers to target PC. Hope you enjoy the crap console ports we got in the early 2000s when developers gave up on PC.

Death can be fast or slow. I'd prefer to just get this market to it's logical conclusion and get it over with already: completely unaffordable for every gamer. At least then we can just accept it and move on.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
There is a company out there that does finance just pc stuff. If I can remember to look for it later I will, but going to be busy almost the rest of the week and weekend.

Feb 4, 2009
Certainly sucks but as I have said the market commands high prices. nVidia may as well capture the higher revenue as opposed to some ebay seller or large operation miner.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
If this does happen, I want to see how nVidia tries to spin the 100% price increase.
Nvidia will just tell people up front that they plan on raising the price even further the following generation, making the current gen look like a deal. "The sooner you buy, the more you save!"

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm fine with NV/AMD/Intel selling ZHR (Zero Hash Rate) cards to gamers. Then sell special MHR (Max Hash Rate) cards to miners at whatever the going rate is.
I want my GPU (Sung to I want my MTV) :p

Last edited:

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I would take these rumors with a grain of salt. NVIDIA has always determined final pricing just before launch. Pricing for Ampere was rumored to be finalized the day of.

NVIDIA now also has to keep competition in mind. AMD will have much better supply of next-gen due to moving to EUV nodes (6nm and 5nm).

I do personally think prices will be higher, but not by much…thinking $800 for the “4080” class card.

EDIT: Also, Intel.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
im gonna start saving 2999.99
I hope by then i won't have some financial crysis that will make me spend it, so i can splurg on a 4090... oh wait with waterblocks, im gonna need at least 3400 after taxes.

As jenson says... "the more you buy.. the more you save.."

Geeze, thats typically the budget of a entire gaming machine... and not just the videocard.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
im gonna start saving 2999.99
I hope by then i won't have some financial crysis that will make me spend it, so i can splurg on a 4090... oh wait with waterblocks, im gonna need at least 3400 after taxes.

As jenson says... "the more you buy.. the more you save.."

Geeze, thats typically the budget of a entire gaming machine... and not just the videocard.
Maybe the GPU will get so expensive, they'll start being sold at dealerships like cars.

I can see it now, we will see corny used car-like commercials, where they say "We have to sell 30 new video cards by the end of the month, and my manager is out of town, so I'm willing to make insane deals to get you into the GPU of your dreams!". :p

family-guy-wavy-inflatable-arm-tube-man.gif

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I can see it now, we will see corny used car-like commercials, where they say "We have to sell 30 new video cards by the end of the month, and my manager is out of town, so I'm willing to make insane deals to get you into the GPU of your dreams!". :p

then when mining farms unload there cars, it would be like hertz going bankrupt.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
And? All that hashpower has to move somewhere else, or go offline. PoW profitability will drop. It may not go away forever, but it will take a backseat again.

They will just mine other coins. The profit won't change on average (or may even increase, as one could argue BTC/ETH have less room to appreciate compared to other coins). As I said, it's a massive industry at this point with institutional/VC backing.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
They will just mine other coins. The profit won't change on average (or may even increase, as one could argue BTC/ETH have less room to appreciate compared to other coins). As I said, it's a massive industry at this point with institutional/VC backing.
Again, there is a fundamental misunderstanding of how mining profits work. Most PoW blockchains only reward so many coins on any given day. For example there are only 900 bitcoins mined every day now. Those coins will be split among every miner out there, every new additional miner "coming online" reduces one's share of individual rewards. With ETH miners outnumbering every other miner by a factor of 10, once ETH goes PoS, if all ETH miners were to move on to other coins, the rewards would plummet ten-fold. Yes, I'm certain, some GPU PoW mining will remain, but on a much much smaller scale to the point where it is not going to affect GPU prices.

Reactions: psolord

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Again, there is a fundamental misunderstanding of how mining profits work. Most PoW blockchains only reward so many coins on any given day. For example there are only 900 bitcoins mined every day now. Those coins will be split among every miner out there, every new additional miner "coming online" reduces one's share of individual rewards. With ETH miners outnumbering every other miner by a factor of 10, once ETH goes PoS, if all ETH miners were to move on to other coins, the rewards would plummet ten-fold. Yes, I'm certain, some GPU PoW mining will remain, but on a much much smaller scale to the point where it is not going to affect GPU prices.

No, you keep talking about BTC/ETH, but there are lots of other coins that still use POW. ETH is dominant right now but it may not stay that way forever. I would in fact argue it has less room for big appreciation at this point compared to some of the smaller or newer coins (remember that miners are not just getting cashflow from mining, but speculating on the future appreciation of these coins). I don't see the GPU impact going away anytime soon without some kind of LHR-type solution.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't see the GPU impact going away anytime soon without some kind of LHR-type solution.
Speaking of LHR and "other" AltCoins... MANY LHR 30-series GPUs are ALREADY mining Raven/Ergo/Conflux, and NOT ETH. So some of that hashrate, has already transitioned, since it's actually MORE profitable to mine those other coins, than to mine ETH on hashrate-limited cards.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The upside to higher prices is that they can afford more wafers and increased supply helps drive down prices in the long run. There's no sense in Nvidia leaving room for middlemen to run up the price to market rate anyway.

The lie we like to tell ourselves is that we could be one of the lucky few to get a card at a low and generally agreed upon as reasonable MSRP. The reality is that this just encourages more scalpers and bots and the end price is the same anyway.