Rose Bowl Thread - USC v. Michigan

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: Feldenak
I would love to see a Michigan player "accidentally" lay a monster hit on Carroll.

Why do you hate Carroll so much?

Yeah, seriously. Carroll is one of the best coaches in college football. He made USC what it is today.

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
I would love to see a Michigan player "accidentally" lay a monster hit on Carroll.

1) He's a douche bag
2) Running up of scores
3) See #1
4) See #2

actually i agree. sc didnt need this last score.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004

1) He's a douche bag
2) Running up of scores
3) See #1
4) See #2

See if I were an opposing coach I would like that. Playing aggressively even with a lead is uncommon only because society is soft these days. Sportsmanship is one thing, but it's just condescending when you tell another team you think they're done and have no chance at coming back by playing soft.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005

1) He's a douche bag
2) Running up of scores
3) See #1
4) See #2
[/quote]

Excuse me but being up by 14 points with half of the 4th quarter doesn't mean you've won. There have been a lot of comebacks with that deficit, and a few with a bigger deficit. USC can't run the ball against Michigan, so if they tried to milk the clock, they'd be giving the ball back to Michigan several more times with plenty of time to come back and score.

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: aplefka

1) He's a douche bag
2) Running up of scores
3) See #1
4) See #2

See if I were an opposing coach I would like that. Playing aggressively even with a lead is uncommon only because society is soft these days. Sportsmanship is one thing, but it's just condescending when you tell another team you think they're done and have no chance at coming back by playing soft.

they couldve just run down the clock.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001

1) He's a douche bag
2) Running up of scores
3) See #1
4) See #2

1) I say he's not a douchebag. There, our weak arguments cancel each other out. db
2) Riiiiiight, because how do you win games? By having more points than the opponent! It's called insurance!
3) See #1
4) See #2

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

1) He's a douche bag
2) Running up of scores
3) See #1
4) See #2

There's a difference between making first downs, showing some class, and running out the clock and throwing it all over the field gunning for another score.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: udonoogen

1) He's a douche bag
2) Running up of scores
3) See #1
4) See #2

Why didn't they? That's how you fvck up a game. You play to win the game, not make friends.

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Pshawn5

why the hate?

Hah, that's not hate...I reserve my hate for Spurrier.

That's for sure. A lot of people should hate him. It was a little uneasy even being a fan of the Gators.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
By the way, 32-11 is hardly running up the score. Those of you saying that it is and the last score is unnecessary, I don't get it. That's a pretty average score.

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001

1) He's a douche bag
2) Running up of scores
3) See #1
4) See #2

Why didn't they? That's how you fvck up a game. You play to win the game, not make friends.

some people play with class, not to humiliate another team.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
By the way, 32-11 is hardly running up the score. Those of you saying that it is and the last score is unnecessary, I don't get it. That's a pretty average score.

Going for another score to go up 21 when you're up by 2 TDs in the last half of the 4th is running up the score to me.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Brent Musburger is an idiot if he thinks that Sanchez is going to start next year. Booty is going to be a Heisman candidate. Sh!t, right now he's better than Brady Quinn. He actually shows up in big games.

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001

1) He's a douche bag
2) Running up of scores
3) See #1
4) See #2

some people play with class, not to humiliate another team.

It's a teams fault for being able to GET humiliated.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001

1) He's a douche bag
2) Running up of scores
3) See #1
4) See #2

Exactly. Plus, in college football, how much you win by actually plays a factor in polls!

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004

1) He's a douche bag
2) Running up of scores
3) See #1
4) See #2

There's a difference between making first downs, showing some class, and running out the clock and throwing it all over the field gunning for another score.

Insurance points? This is hardly running up the score at all. Do you watch football at all on a regular basis? 32-11 isn't that bad. Yeah it's an obvious win but that's life. Did you want them to hand the ball over to Michigan? Michigan has good run D, Carroll's not gonna make stupid playcalls just so people can feel better about themselves even though they lost. The game was still up for grabs at that point.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Brent Musburger is an idiot if he thinks that Sanchez is going to start next year. Booty is going to be a Heisman candidate. Sh!t, right now he's better than Brady Quinn. He actually shows up in big games.

What hurts Brady Quinn is a lack of halfway decent offensive lineman.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
The blind hate for SC is ridiculous here. Having a two TD lead is no guarentee of absolutely anything in football..

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005

Going for another score to go up 21 when you're up by 2 TDs in the last half of the 4th is running up the score to me.

Please see my previous post.