Rose Bowl Thread - USC v. Michigan

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
stop with the excuses, USC also had a let down in the game vs UCLA, if you dont show up you loose which is what happened to SC 3 weeks back and Michigan today

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: her209
How so? They did what they did all season, throw the ball.

I just don't think MI played the game they have. It happens.

100 extra yards isn't really a butt whooping. But you're right, it's the score that matters.[/quote]

And the score should of been much worse. USC blew it a couple times the first half in the red zone. M didn't get ANYWHERE in the first half.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: dbk
How so? They did what they did all season, throw the ball.

I just don't think MI played the game they have. It happens.

100 extra yards isn't really a butt whooping. But you're right, it's the score that matters.

Michigan's D was a letdown, specifically, the secondary. That was the difference in the game. I didn't think their Offense played that bad.[/quote]

They scored 11 points..down from an average of..a lot higher.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Didn't Michigan lose each time they faced a high ranked opponent? USC did well against highly ranked teams, only to lose to a couple crappy teams.

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: NL5
Didn't Michigan lose each time they faced a high ranked opponent? USC did well against highly ranked teams, only to lose to a couple crappy teams.

are you talking about this season? MI only lost to #1 OSU

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Corporate Thug
Originally posted by: NL5

are you talking about this season? MI only lost to #1 OSU

yeah. the only other ranked team they played during season was ND, who was #2 at the time (of course, we all know how that turned out). they won, of course.

USC beat a #19 nebraska, #21 oregon, #17 cal, #6 ND (the last 3 were during 3 straight weeks)

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
I do think the teams were more evenly matched than the score indicated. The game was decided largely by a few big plays.
You're wrong if you truly believe the teams were evenly matched. Look at the yardage. About the same time of possession yet USC still has 100+ total yards more against Michigan's supposed #1 defense.

And yet USC didn't deserve to play the best team in the country. They got lucky today. Very lucky.

hahahaha Big Ten fans are second only to SEC fans as the biggest whiners. USC probably would have beat Ohio State today if they played. Aside from last year and the super freak (Vince Young), USC generally wins their bowl games under Carrol, and wins them convincingly. I'm not even sure that the Big Ten was even that good this year....possibly overrated at the top, as OSU didnt really beat anyone this year except Texas and Michigan, and Texas had a down year. OSU beating Michigan at home by 3 looks less impressive now that Michigan was violated, and I'm betting the Gators win on Monday, as the SEC week after week is probably the tougher conference.

And how about Boise State! One of the best bowl games ever.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Michigan's defense had nothing to do with the loss. Michigan's defense played extremely well, but you can't expect them to keep stopping USC when Michigan's offense is going 3 and out and not moving the football at all. Michigan left a very tired defense on the field especially in the 4th quarter and they have their entire offense (mainly their line) to thank for it.

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
- I expected a lot more from Michigan.

- osu/michigan wasn't close at all, we dominated the first half and then played the worst 2nd half of football I've seen in a long long time, we basically gave the game away.

- I'd love to see a usc/osu match. USC definitely played lights out though, congrats.

- I too am curious where mpitts is :0

when did big 10 get a reputation of whining? :eek:

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Bah. I'm sick of UM's old school approach in games like this. Their plan was:

A) Establish the run. If that doesn't work, try again. Even against an 8-man front. Just keep trying this through halftime. Three points is good enough.

B) 5-7 step drop passes. If USC repeatedly blitzes your extremely non-mobile QB, don't bother changing to shotgun to throw quick slants/curls. Just get sacked endlessly and take it.

The college game today calls for creativity and a willingness to adapt on the fly. Carr seems completely incapable of adopting such a mentality. He's hellbent on being all old man-ish about things.

The recruiting for Michigan is automatic. The uniform sells itself. Michigan has the talent year in and year out to compete for a national title. I wish the talent would stop being wasted by a coach that gets completely outcoached in EVERY big game.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Michigan got embarrassed, and Bo Schemblecher is still dead.

Can't believe OSU just rolled over and died against Florida like they did.

The "top 2" teams in the Big 10 sure didn't come to play. Good thing Wisco and Penn State salvaged some pride for the Big 10.