Rome 2: Total war is coming!

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I hadn't looked but hasn't some modder by now made a blood mod? Such mods have been around for the other TW games and you know someone is going to try it just so they don't have to pay for it. Then again, if not, maybe someone will now just out of principle?

Pretty sure someone will now. :/

DLC should be provided free of charge for the condition the game was shipped in. Next time a Total War game is released, gamers should remember the disaster that was R2TW. :/

I hope, anyway. Most likely, they'll sell millions of preorders and Zero Day DLC, continuing to send the message that this crap is OK.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'll get it when it goes on sale which probably won't be until next summer. For now I got the Rome 2 main game and the current DLC packs. Should keep me busy for a while.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
What is the best way to handle slums in Rome 2? I keep getting them and can't tell if its a good thing or bad. I'm thinking bad but can't seem to deal with them properly. Any tips concerning slums and how to avoid and/or deal with them?

PS - The game does lock up at times for no reason. Save as you go.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
What is the best way to handle slums in Rome 2? I keep getting them and can't tell if its a good thing or bad. I'm thinking bad but can't seem to deal with them properly. Any tips concerning slums and how to avoid and/or deal with them?

PS - The game does lock up at times for no reason. Save as you go.

They are bad, though they do allow you to recruit mobs, which are cheap to maintain so if you need a garrison army you can recruit some.

Otherwise, dismantle them.

How you avoid getting them is to build something when your population allows it. If you sit there with an excess population there is a chance for slums to pop up.

AHamick

Nov 3, 2008
I just hold onto the excess population and not expand my city until I can afford to build something in its place.

Is there any negative to having a population surplus in a province?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Mobs are useless. They are only to be used for missile fodder but even then they aren't great as they rout like crazy and can impact morale.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I just hold onto the excess population and not expand my city until I can afford to build something in its place.

Is there any negative to having a population surplus in a province?

This. Only expand your cities if you intend to build there right away. It doesn't cost you anything to save. Leaving empty building slots is what generates slums.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yeah, I expanded Brindisium without realizing I had nothing to build on the spot. Of course a slum popped up and nothing to build there. Tore the slum down but that doesnt seem to sit well with the population. Still waiting for something to come along so I can build in the empty spot. Not sure if I have to wait for population growth or what? There is a learning curve to this game. If I can get my economy going right I should be able to build an empire.

Edit: Wow this game locks up a lot to where you have to close it out and restart it. Locks up when trying to load a different save from in game. Locks up when a battle is initiated. Then there are just the random lock ups in general while playing. Man, I thought they patched this. I was wrong. Right now after 7 patches I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Trying to like this game but damn its hard when you are constantly having the game lock up on you. I'm sure glad I didn't pay full price. Its not worth it. I paid 50% and now I'm thinking I probably should have waited for a 75% deal. Of course that doesn't make up for the bugginess of the game.

Last edited:

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
I guess the game is now a lot better with the major patching they've done. In my opinion its now actually a good game, and mods make it go from good to great.

tornadog

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2003
I am still waiting for the inevitable $10 steam sale for this game. Never paid more than that for any of the TW games after Empire.

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013
I have had a break from playing it but I still like it. Great game but takes up so much time.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
I played a bit with this game 2 months ago on my friend's computer and I can say that I am glad I moved on to Europa Universalis IV and Darkest Hour. This is coming from a big dedicated fan of the first Rome Total War. (The only problem with Paradox games is not the greatest UI.

The biggest flaw is the brain-dead AI which never seems to proactively attack the player in peace-time. Naval invasions by the AI are absolutely bugged, there are still plenty of positioning flaws during the battles that can be used to turn 1 to 10 odds to victory. Agents are not very varied and seem like 3 flavors of the same thing. Continuing the trend from Shogun 2, there is a distracting tint to the game. Too much yellow and red, it always looks like a dusty desert sunset.

There are other problems with the management side but I never expected Total War games to be as good as Civilization in this regard. Typical Creative Assembly fare here but there are (were?) some annoying bugs that probably are fixed by now.

Overall, this game hurts me, not because it is that bad but because it should have been that good. I never thought I would say that Creative Assembly's best game would be a non-Total War game (Alien Isolation looks amazing). :'(

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I have had a break from playing it but I still like it. Great game but takes up so much time.

Yes it is "Epic" in scale. Though as soon as they release a major patch, which the just did and will do again, your save game is no longer compatible and then have to start over again. Got to love it.

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013
I dont mind a restart, this time I am going to concentrate harder on city management. Allegedly.

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013
Now the prologue keeps crashing as soon as you do the first battle in pt3, the coastal town one. I win and it restarts the campaign. I have already completed the prologue but the achievement never pinged up. So still this game needs more patches.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
I havent crashed since week one. Game runs much smoother and with some mods the game really shines.

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013
Maybe I need to do the prologue in one sitting to stop it crashing which is a pain.

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013
New update to download. Alleged improved politics, have not tried this yet just downloading now.