Rolling Stone apologizes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
This isn't a contest ffs...it's as if you're trying to rationalize Rolling Stone's huge fail and that's really fucked up imo.

I'm rationalizing nothing. You said bad journalism doesn't get much worse and I was simply pointing out that yes, it does get worse and that there are entire news outlets where pretty much everything they do is a worse bad journalism.

Nov 30, 2006
I'm rationalizing nothing. You said bad journalism doesn't get much worse and I was simply pointing out that yes, it does get worse and that there are entire news outlets where pretty much everything they do is a worse bad journalism.
There are tons of examples of really bad journalism in liberal media as well that you could have used if you were trying to make an objective point...yet you chose to make this political and use a couple conservative media examples as if this somehow diminishes or offsets Rolling Stone's liberal bias. Don't play innocent with me.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
There are tons of examples of really bad journalism in liberal media as well that you could have used if you were trying to make an objective point...yet you chose to make this political and use a couple conservative media examples as if this somehow diminishes or offsets Rolling Stone's liberal bias. Don't play innocent with me.

lol :rolleyes:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
cover_web-458x620.jpg

Every picture tells a story...
lol +1

I like that the reporter "worked" on this story for months. Evidently that means one afternoon's interview followed by several weeks on taking people to lunch and dinner to discuss the best place and method to display her Pulitzer.

On the plus side, that's a not unattractive picture of Dunham - something I would have denied could exist in sidereal space-time. Well, except for the "there's absolutely nothing interesting about me so draw something" tattoo.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Not sure what the liberals here are trying to prove by comparing and rationalizing what RS did to what they think is the turdiest media out there. Either they are lying or they really have set the bar so low as to be non detectable by anyone above pond scum level.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
When it comes to sexual crimes, the guy is always assumed to be guilty. At least we're not as bad as Sweden where the burden of proof is on the *accused* when it comes to rape. How messed up as a society are we when you have to prove your innocence.
Well, in Sweden's defense the accuser is probably always a tall, utterly hot Nordic blond . . .

Nov 30, 2006
Not sure what the liberals here are trying to prove by comparing and rationalizing what RS did to what they think is the turdiest media out there. Either they are lying or they really have set the bar so low as to be non detectable by anyone above pond scum level.
Everything is viewed through a highly partisan lens for some. It's sad.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
And so many have missed that UVA is still under investigation for how they handle rape charges for issues completed unrelated to the specific case given in Rolling Stone.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Not my fault the worst examples of shitty journalism are all conservatives sources. Must be something inherently wrong with their audience who wants shit news. Rolling Stone I would say qualifies as journalism about as much as Playboy does anyway and yet this fuck up is a rare occurrence for them when compared to ... well every conservative actual news source. Sorry if the truth burns ya so much.

Nov 30, 2006
Not my fault the worst examples of shitty journalism are all conservatives sources. Must be something inherently wrong with their audience who wants shit news. Rolling Stone I would say qualifies as journalism about as much as Playboy does anyway and yet this fuck up is a rare occurrence for them when compared to ... well every conservative actual news source. Sorry if the truth burns ya so much.
Yeah, the truth burns me big time...you fucking nailed it!

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Not my fault the worst examples of shitty journalism are all conservatives sources. Must be something inherently wrong with their audience who wants shit news.

Well, don't be so shy. Give us your top 3 examples.

Rolling Stone I would say qualifies as journalism about as much as Playboy does anyway and yet this fuck up is a rare occurrence for them when compared to ... well every conservative actual news source. Sorry if the truth burns ya so much.

I haven't seen a Playboy in decades (I wouldn't be surprised if they no longer published). Didn't they used to publish some decent pieces?

Fern

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So who at the rolling stone magazine has been fired, put in jail, or had to pay a big hefty fine to every member of every house that was closed down on that campus and where is the fine for the reputation of the college. I don't think they are really sorry, they just don't want to go to jail.

They should be banned from publishing for 6 months and we will call it even.

How about a big settlement for this civil rights violation?

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So who at the rolling stone magazine has been fired, put in jail, or had to pay a big hefty fine to every member of every house that was closed down on that campus and where is the fine for the reputation of the college. I don't think they are really sorry, they just don't want to go to jail.

They should be banned from publishing for 6 months and we will call it even.

How about a big settlement for this civil rights violation?

What criminal statute would you like to prosecute Rolling Stone employees under? Also, how did a magazine violate someone's civil rights? That doesn't even make logical sense.

If this merits a 6 month publication ban (again, under what law??) I can think of a number of conservatives and conservative publications that should probably have been executed. Curious that you didn't seem so mad about them. Why is that?

I do think that the fraternities may have a civil case though, as you MIGHT be able to successfully argue for reckless disregard. Maybe.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
What criminal statute would you like to prosecute Rolling Stone employees under? Also, how did a magazine violate someone's civil rights? That doesn't even make logical sense.

If this merits a 6 month publication ban (again, under what law??) I can think of a number of conservatives and conservative publications that should probably have been executed. Curious that you didn't seem so mad about them. Why is that?

I do think that the fraternities may have a civil case though, as you MIGHT be able to successfully argue for reckless disregard. Maybe.

You don't think defamation/libel lawsuits are in order?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I haven't seen a Playboy in decades (I wouldn't be surprised if they no longer published). Didn't they used to publish some decent pieces?

Fern

They are still published. I know because I read them for..ahem...research purpose.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
There may be a libel lawsuit. Not sure how the courts would handle this however. It seems very negligent to publish a story without basic fact checking that tarnishes the name of an organization.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

You're starting to hit Stewox levels right there.

What happened to him anyway ?

:colbert:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
LOL, can we talk about the mythical War on Christmas next?

Yeah, because the war on men isn't everywhere. RS spooged all over this to get it in their publication. Just like Duke Rape and all of the other recent bullshit, any time some rich white guys come under fire, it's automatically taken as gospel.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Everyone knows a Rolling Stone gathers no facts.
Nicely done.

Anyway, how interesting is this that the rolling stone shits down a college's throat over some bullshit accusations and yet Bill Cosby gets to rape what appears to be a dozen or two women over a very long period before anybody seems to give a damn.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Yeah, because the war on men isn't everywhere. RS spooged all over this to get it in their publication. Just like Duke Rape and all of the other recent bullshit, any time some rich white guys come under fire, it's automatically taken as gospel.

Persecuted much?

This one case wasn't the only thing in the Rolling Stone article. UVA among others remains under investigation by the feds for how they handle sexual assault on campus.

Last edited:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Persecuted much?

This one case wasn't the only thing in the Rolling Stone article. UVA among others remains under investigation by the feds for how they handle sexual assault on campus.

Yeah, UVA false claims is no different from Lena Dunham false claims is no different than Duke false claims. If it is not that then its Gamergate.

Any dude who had sex with a drunk girl can now face claims of rape for dozens of years afterwards. It doesn't matter if he was drunk too, it doesn't matter if he was drunk and she wasn't. All that matters is that they had sex which is rape because "consent" wasn't given.

Before they called it slut shaming. Now it's just man shaming.

It is a 100% automatic assumption that the male is wrong now. If you can't recognize that then there is no help for you.