Rolling Stone apologizes

HTFOff

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2013
So by failing to properly vet the accused raper(s), rolling stone might have made a booboo. Award winning journalism at it's finest.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/a-note-to-our-readers-20141205
Because of the sensitive nature of Jackie’s story, we decided to honor her request not to contact the man who she claimed orchestrated the attack on her nor any of the men who she claimed participated in the attack for fear of retaliation against her. In the months Erdely reported the story, Jackie said or did nothing that made her, or Rolling Stone's editors and fact-checkers, question her credibility. Jackie’s friends and rape activists on campus strongly supported her account. She had spoken of the assault in campus forums. We reached out to both the local branch and the national leadership of Phi Psi, the fraternity where Jackie said she was attacked. They responded that they couldn’t confirm or deny her story but that they had questions about the evidence.

In the face of new information reported by the Washington Post and other news outlets, there now appear to be discrepancies in Jackie's account. The fraternity has issued a formal statement denying the assault and asserting that there was no "date function or formal event" on the night in question. Jackie herself is now unsure if the man she says lured her into the room where the rape occurred, identified in the story, as "Drew," was a Phi Psi brother. According to the Washington Post, "Drew" actually belongs to a different fraternity and when contacted by the paper, he denied knowing Jackie. Jackie told Rolling Stone that after she was assaulted, she ran into "Drew" at a UVA pool where they both worked as lifeguards. In its statement, the Phi Psi says none of its members worked at the pool in the fall of 2012. A friend of Jackie’s (who we were told would not speak to Rolling Stone) told the Washington Post that he found Jackie that night a mile from the school's fraternities. She did not appear to be "physically injured at the time" but was shaken. She told him that that she had been forced to have oral sex with a group of men at a fraternity party, but he does not remember her identifying a specific house. Other friends of Jackie’s told the Washington Post that they now have doubts about her narrative, but Jackie told the Washington Post that she firmly stands by the account she gave to Erdely.

We published the article with the firm belief that it was accurate. Given all of these reports, however, we have come to the conclusion that we were mistaken in honoring Jackie's request to not contact the alleged assaulters to get their account. In trying to be sensitive to the unfair shame and humiliation many women feel after a sexual assault, we made a judgment – the kind of judgment reporters and editors make every day. We should have not made this agreement with Jackie and we should have worked harder to convince her that the truth would have been better served by getting the other side of the story. These mistakes are on Rolling Stone, not on Jackie. We apologize to anyone who was affected by the story and we will continue to investigate the events of that evening.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...a5f7d2-7c91-11e4-84d4-7c896b90abdc_story.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ds-to-come-clean-about-its-campus-rape-story/

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
typical liberal journalism. Find a story you want to tell, make up the details. Then don't really apologize.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Good for rolling stone. If you make a mistake, own it.

Own it? LOL. Aren't you a rolling stone apologist.

Did you read the apology? They don't say there were wrong about the story.

They say there were wrong not to contact the man accused.

They spend 3/4 of the piece defending their actions.

And Jackie the accuser has a twisted world view

"“I never asked for this” attention, she said in an interview" (from the Washington post piece). You don't want attention, you don't talk to the media. How stupid is this chick? Its like posting to facebook thinking your post is private.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Good for rolling stone. If you make a mistake, own it.

Like they had a choice?

I've got a better idea, how about before publishing an explosive piece that slanders people etc you do some fact checking? Even some very basic fact checking would have alerted RS to problems. It was sheer laziness at best and I'm inclined to think it worse: it was agenda driven, screw facts, the issue is more important.

Fern

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Like they had a choice?

I've got a better idea, how about before publishing an explosive piece that slanders people etc you do some fact checking? Even some very basic fact checking would have alerted RS to problems. It was sheer laziness at best and I'm inclined to think it worse: it was agenda driven, screw facts, the issue is more important.

Fern

I will be sure to note if you provide the same standard for inaccurate conservative reporting.

Like birther stuff.

Bad reporting is bad, no matter if it appeals to your ideological bias.

I'm glad that bad reporting is being fixed.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
I will be sure to note if you provide the same standard for inaccurate conservative reporting.

Like birther stuff.

please point out where Rolling Stone says they were wrong about the story?

They aren't sorry. Rolling Stone has a typical liberal man hating agenda, they went looking for a rape story, and found someone willing to give them a juicy one. They get their ad money. No one is threatening to not put ad's in RS over this piece. The wanted a rape story, and to them it doesn't matter if it was fabricated. RS got in the news, they might have ruined a mans life. That's a win for them.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Continuation of the War on Men which people deny exists.

I saw one feminist jackass say that Rolling Stones was perpetuating rape by accusing the victim.

This is why it is a war on men. Any denial of rape is rape, even if the rape never happened.

Just like any denial of racism is racism. Same liberal shit, different day.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

I saw one feminist jackass say that Rolling Stones was perpetuating rape by accusing the victim.

This is why it is a war on men. Any denial of rape is rape, even if the rape never happened.

The musicians or the magazine?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

LOL, can we talk about the mythical War on Christmas next?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
LOL, can we talk about the mythical War on Christmas next?

meh i wouldn't call it a war. BUT there has been a serious shift in how men are treated in media.

Such as for the past decade you seen a dad who was a idiot and never did anything right. very rarely did you see one that could handle the kids .

The US itself is changing how men are dealt with when it comes to rape accusations. Many colleges now have it where if a man is accused it's damn near impossible for them to fight the charge. They have prove they are innocent and they are restricted on how.

Even in cases like the RS where it is easy to see the lady lied far to many will turn it around and say its like raping her again (not that she was raped the first time..) and that we shouldn't go after women who falsely accuse of rape (no matter that a man is guilty until they prove they are innocent) becuase it will keep others from it.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

Like birther stuff.

I think we can both agree that birther stuff is on a different level than rape. IMO claims of rape and pedophilia should have a higher threshold of verification due to the intense reactions generated. These are heinous crimes when committed but can ruin lives when lied about. The ruination or negative impressions are not reversed by a simple apology. The frat was suspended, the house was attacked and members received death threats due to this article.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state-regional/hundreds-protest-at-uva-students-allegedly-dismantle-memorial-to-victims/article_ad83d651-006a-5ab9-89a2-1a021ceb38f6.html
http://coed.com/2014/11/23/uva-fraternities-suspended-rolling-stone-rape-on-campus-article/

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011

Like birther stuff.

How is this even comparable, even in your warped liberal mind?

When did anyone's life get ruined over the birther trash?

Also, you have yet to acknowledge that RS didn't "fix" anything. But to you, I guess defending wrong actions is fixing it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think we can both agree that birther stuff is on a different level than rape. IMO claims of rape and pedophilia should have a higher threshold of verification due to the intense reactions generated. These are heinous crimes when committed but can ruin lives when lied about. The ruination or negative impressions are not reversed by a simple apology. The frat was suspended, the house was attacked and members received death threats due to this article.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state-regional/hundreds-protest-at-uva-students-allegedly-dismantle-memorial-to-victims/article_ad83d651-006a-5ab9-89a2-1a021ceb38f6.html
http://coed.com/2014/11/23/uva-fraternities-suspended-rolling-stone-rape-on-campus-article/

I think Rolling Stone made a terrible mistake here and violated a pretty basic tenet of journalism. They have rightly been criticized for it.

I'm simply happy that they have owned their mistake instead of trying to cover it up and are moving to hopefully prevent it from happening again.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How is this even comparable, even in your warped liberal mind?

When did anyone's life get ruined over the birther trash?

Also, you have yet to acknowledge that RS didn't "fix" anything. But to you, I guess defending wrong actions is fixing it.

What are you babbling about? I was simply noting that people have selective standards for journalism based on whether it tells them something that they want to hear. Even in your warped conservative mind you must be able to figure that out?

Also, what do you mean didn't 'fix' anything? What does that even mean?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Here's hoping Anonymous outs the chick in question and ensures she can't even get a job mopping floors at White Castle. People who lie about others committing felonies and ruin their lives are on the same level as child molesters.

anonymous-logo-1.jpg

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This is bad for rolling stone. How does an editor let a story go out that had so little fact checking?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Quite a black eye for Rolling Stone... bad journalism doesn't get much worse than this.

Well, they're still more accurate than anything on Fox. At least with Rolling Stone they screwed up and admitted it. Places like Fox, ijreview, breitbart all have false stories all the time and never apologize. Then again they knew they were false and print them intentionally. How many times have things that O'Keefe asshole does been proven to be blatant falsehoods only for Breitbart to post the next one he does just the same?

Nov 30, 2006
Well, they're still more accurate than anything on Fox. At least with Rolling Stone they screwed up and admitted it. Places like Fox, ijreview, breitbart all have false stories all the time and never apologize. Then again they knew they were false and print them intentionally. How many times have things that O'Keefe asshole does been proven to be blatant falsehoods only for Breitbart to post the next one he does just the same?
This isn't a contest ffs...it's as if you're trying to rationalize Rolling Stone's huge fail and that's really fucked up imo.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
When it comes to sexual crimes, the guy is always assumed to be guilty. At least we're not as bad as Sweden where the burden of proof is on the *accused* when it comes to rape. How messed up as a society are we when you have to prove your innocence.