News Roe v. Wade overturned

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I wonder how this will affect women who get IVF and have to get multiple embryos implanted, often needing to selectively reduce a few so that they aren't carrying six babies for example. Now? The mom has to carry the multiples at great risk to herself and the fetuses?

There is substantial opposition among evangelicals to IVF being allowed at all. Which seems insane but hey.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Fake news:
5LPjQeB.jpeg

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
From what I've seen so far, for the Repubs, this abortion issue has nothing to do with morals and/or religious beliefs as they like to claim. It's just another issue for the Repubs to rally around that's no different from how they use the Second Amendment to gin up support for their side of the aisle. Same goes with gay rights, etc.

This activist right leaning Supreme Court of ours is making a political decision that I feel is against the wishes of the majority of the nation and something that may backfire on their party's chances of winning elections come November.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Alito’s draft opinion already alludes to - in his phrasing, an unenumerated right (like abortion) can only be protected by the courts where they have a strong basis in the history and traditions of the country. He specifically mentions both Lawrence v Texas (sodomy) and Obergefell v. Hodges as being likewise poorly decided. The only thing that would perhaps save those rulings would be one of the five who agreed to overturn Roe with him balking on those, which I would not count on.

So ... Obergefell v. Hodges essentially suffers from the same “defects” Alito found in Roe, and would seem a hot candidate for being overturned. Griswold v. Connecticut rests on similar concepts.

If Griswold goes, then privacy largely goes with it, it will remain to be seen if Roe can go without Griswold going. Many smart legal minds have long said it would be very difficult to overturn Roe but uphold the privacy conclusions that essentially made Roe an obvious decision, and those come from Griswold, without eventually overturning Griswold as well. Otherwise you are staking out that Griswold establishes a right to privacy for everything other than abortion, which suffers many of the logical defects Alito asserts about Roe. The reason you will struggle with this regime legally is because it is hard to enforce many laws against abortion if there is a robust right to privacy, because the State has to intrude fairly far into your privacy to enforce those laws. Once the right is undermined, how does Griswold stand? Without Griswold how does privacy as a constitutional right stand?

There is also a movement for a national abortion ban. Major antiabortion groups have already spoken with Trump and other top Republican Presidential contenders in 2024 and all of them say they would have no problem running with a nationwide abortion ban bill as a centerpiece of their campaigns. 6 in 10 Americans are against Roe v. Wade being overturned, but the reality is only a small portion of that 6 in 10 votes on the topic, plenty of them support abortion rights in principle, but not enough to make them vote for Democrats.

The filibuster likely won’t protect anything – Republicans will certainly dispense with the filibuster if they control both houses of Congress and the White House, because they will wager they will never again be in the minority so there is no reason to keep a relic of minority power in the Senate.

The real question is, will they try to carve out an exception for Clarence and Virginia Thomas, when they go after Loving vs. Virginia which made interracial marriages legal?

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
I think we need to come to grips with the fact that they have won. This is what total GOP control will look like. Actually it's probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Their long game starting at the local level has paid off. They've won, simple as that. At least for our generation, and the one after that probably. And the way our institutions work, they are now in it for the long haul.

The best we can hope for is that they actually enact some form of federalism where those with the means can at least move to a state that mirrors their values. Sure, it won't help everyone, but it's better than the alternative.

GG

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I think we need to come to grips with the fact that they have won. This is what total GOP control will look like. Actually it's probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Their long game starting at the local level has paid off. They've won, simple as that. At least for our generation, and the one after that probably. And the way our institutions work, they are now in it for the long haul.

The best we can hope for is that they actually enact some form of federalism where those with the means can at least move to a state that mirrors their values. Sure, it won't help everyone, but it's better than the alternative.

GG
Did the British give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Did the US surrender after the Bowling Green Massacre by the hippy collective?

Did General Grant give up while storming Omaha Beach?

Last edited:

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010

Did the US surrender after the Bowling Green Massacre by hippy collective?

Bowling Green was a tough one. Not sure how we pulled thru that one.

This time feels different.

• Love
Reactions: DarthKyrie

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Don't have to go back that far, look at the Ukraine and how they dealt with their GOP (Party of Regions).

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005

Did the US surrender after the Bowling Green Massacre by hippy collective?

I'm so confused right now. o_O

Yet technically, I think the answers to these questions is "no". So I will take it as inspiration to never give up, never surrender!

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Alito’s draft opinion already alludes to - in his phrasing, an unenumerated right (like abortion) can only be protected by the courts where they have a strong basis in the history and traditions of the country. He specifically mentions both Lawrence v Texas (sodomy) and Obergefell v. Hodges as being likewise poorly decided. The only thing that would perhaps save those rulings would be one of the five who agreed to overturn Roe with him balking on those, which I would not count on.
Agreed.
This is Alito basically making up rules to justify his preconceived position. He basically is saying unenumerated rights that have decades of precedence and history should be protected. And then immediately goes on to shit on that idea.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Susan Collins' brow is most deeply furrowed.

Collins responds: Sen. Susan Collins said that if a draft majority opinion overturning Roe v. Wade is authentic, then she was misled by two Supreme Court justices whom she supported.
The Maine Republican voted for Justices Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh in 2017 and 2018, confirmations that cemented the conservative majority on the high court. In a Tuesday statement following POLITICO's report on the draft opinion, she recalled interviews with the two now-justices in which she said she pressed them on their view of Roe.
“If this leaked draft opinion is the final decision and this reporting is accurate, it would be completely inconsistent with what Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh said in their hearings and in our meetings in my office,” Collins said. “Obviously, we won’t know each Justice’s decision and reasoning until the Supreme Court officially announces its opinion in this case.”
Collins had little to add as she ducked into an Appropriations Committee hearing on Tuesday: “My statement speaks for itself.”

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Lying while under oath for a SCOTUS nominee. We just let that one slide? While even bother putting them under oath at all.

What happened to law and order?
Can't they just say their opinion has changed over time? Even though it's probably likely they said whatever had to be said to be nominated... They likely have agendas or are being influenced externally. Obviously, the exact opposite of what a SCOTUS justice should have.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
The real question is, will they try to carve out an exception for Clarence and Virginia Thomas, when they go after Loving vs. Virginia which made interracial marriages legal?

Did they carve out an exception for the jewish capos in the extermination camps after they had outlived their usefulness?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Susan Collins' brow is most deeply furrowed.

Murkowski "rocked" too :) Really, they are either liars or idiots.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
I just love that after two years the leftists are back to affirming "my body, my choice"

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I think your off. I think a conservative leaked it for maybe 1 of 2 or possibly both reasons. They were concerned Roberts may actually negotiate a deal where it is 6-3 to limit abortion to 15 weeks but not overturn Roe vs. Wade. Or the 2nd reason that they want to let the blood as far away from the midterms as possible. I may be wrong but I think everyone thought Roe was on it's last legs with this hyper partisan conservative court.
No way. Have you noticed, that the only response from the Republicans is to announce a deep investigation as to how this was leaked. They do not want this to be the subject of the mid terms. This is a loser for Republicans just like guns control is a loser for Dems. They are extremely worried now. So many doubters on this subject on the forum.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
Seems people hear what they want. If Roe vs Wade gets overturned, it will not end abortion. It would leave it up to the states. how is that bad? If the majority of people in a state want it one way, thats how they will vote and what they will get. I am pro-choice with some restrictions (i think an abortion up until birth should not be legal for example). If the majority of people in a state want abortion to be legal up until the moment of birth, they can have that. Abortion is NOT in the constitution at all. When someone says they are loosing their constitutional right, where in the constitution does it say anything about abortion. Not one single person will loose the right to an abortion. It will be legal in many states, many states will have restitrictions. Guess whart? You can travel and/or move to any state in our country you want! Move to a state that is more in line with your beliefs. It really is that simple.