News Roe v. Wade overturned

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
As far as those saying Republicans are crying about the leak, everyone should be. It should be obvious, unless you have blinders on, that someone left leaning leaked this. Someone who disagrees with the majority rule of the Supreme Court. It's not whistleblowing, it was done for political reasons because the Democrats are/were in trouble for the midterms, and something needed to be done to get people riled up emotionally. Something to get them to overlook inflation, rising costs of everything. The leaked information just confirms what everyone already expected, yet so many act surprised. It wont get rid of abortion, it will leave it up to the states, dont like what it will be in your state, you can move. If you want it to be more restrictive move to a more red state, if you want it to be more lax, more choice, move to a blue state. pretty simple. More people will have their views expressed than one blanket law for the entire nation, now you will be able to have 50 different laws on abortion and you can choose wich one to live under.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
As far as those saying Republicans are crying about the leak, everyone should be. It should be obvious, unless you have blinders on, that someone left leaning leaked this. Someone who disagrees with the majority rule of the Supreme Court. It's not whistleblowing, it was done for political reasons because the Democrats are/were in trouble for the midterms, and something needed to be done to get people riled up emotionally. Something to get them to overlook inflation, rising costs of everything. The leaked information just confirms what everyone already expected, yet so many act surprised. It wont get rid of abortion, it will leave it up to the states, dont like what it will be in your state, you can move. If you want it to be more restrictive move to a more red state, if you want it to be more lax, more choice, move to a blue state. pretty simple. More people will have their views expressed than one blanket law for the entire nation, now you will be able to have 50 different laws on abortion and you can choose wich one to live under.

Summary: Abortion is a thing you don't care about, therefore you think it's a smokescreen.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yup. Basically people will need to think long and hard about where they want to live, work, relocate, raise a family, travel, etc.

For better or worse, I guess this is one step towards more federalism. I guess for at least 2 years until a nationwide abortion ban is put into place in 2024 or 2025.

Either way, my initial point still stands. Those that have the means, will be able to relocate and adjust easily. Those that don't....sorry.
I'm guessing many states would ignore a national ban. But the GOP will definitely try.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Decision was due in June....which usually comes before November. Might try again.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
A few things also not mentioned in the constitution:

Interracial marriage.
Desegregation.
A minimum wage.
Access to contraception.
Unions.

I could keep going but you get the idea.

with what is expected, women (or birthing person to be correct) can still have an abortion, some states will make it easier, some states will put more restrictions on it. within 3 hours of me I can travel to 5 different states, all with different laws on abortion. I will repeat what i also wrote, I am pro-choice (with some restrictions, which i will give an example of again, i think abortion should not be legal up until birth).

Also, the constitution does not say interracial marriage is illegal, that segregation is legal, etc. No need to throw the racist card out.

Why do i think this is good? Because no matter what political party is in power in Congress, the White House, you will always have states where it is legal, and of course states that have restrictions on it, and you can choose where you want to live

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
He was what the Working Class needs.

Very well and fine, but not a Democrat, and not getting nearly enough support to effect any real change. He was able to get the party to adopt some positions in the platform, but resulting progressive caucus has delivered nothing.

A few Starbucks unions and one Amazon warehouse union is not the start of an electoral revolution

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
with what is expected, women (or birthing person to be correct) can still have an abortion, some states will make it easier, some states will put more restrictions on it. within 3 hours of me I can travel to 5 different states, all with different laws on abortion. I will repeat what i also wrote, I am pro-choice (with some restrictions, which i will give an example of again, i think abortion should not be legal up until birth).

Also, the constitution does not say interracial marriage is illegal, that segregation is legal, etc. No need to throw the racist card out.

Why do i think this is good? Because no matter what political party is in power in Congress, the White House, you will always have states where it is legal, and of course states that have restrictions on it, and you can choose where you want to live

If you live in the south or parts of the midwest most people won't have that kind of access. Poor people especially will be burdened having to take days to travel out of state to get care. Rich republicans will just take a long weekend at the "spa".

The constitution says nothing about bans on interracial marriage or segregation thus the states can implement it if they so choose. Black/brown people can move if they don't like it I guess. This is your argument not mine.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I know you probably don't have a uterus so you don't give any actual fucks and can't be bothered to be informed, but there were already different laws and different access to abortion depending on what state you were in.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
I missed the part where the people got a chance to vote in those conservative states passing abortion restrictions.

they voted for the elected officials. majority vote won. It does go both ways, the pro-life people in blue states whose politicians make abortion easier. Unlike most people, i can see both sides, leaving it up to the states to make their own laws kinda does make sense, majority view in that state will be expressed by the laws in that state. If you live in California, would you want Texas making the laws you have to follow? And the other way, Texas doesnt want California/New York making laws they have to follow

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Pro tip: you aren’t pro choice if you think there should be restrictions. You support a woman’s choice up until a certain point, after that point you believe your opinion should override the woman’s and her doctor’s opinion.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

YOU can choose where you want to live, perhaps, but it ain't so easy for everyone, bucko. Eat a piping hot bowl of go fuck yourself and try to be a more decent human being.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
If you live in the south or parts of the midwest most people won't have that kind of access. Poor people especially will be burdened having to take days to travel out of state to get care. Rich republicans will just take a long weekend at the "spa".

The constitution says nothing about bans on interracial marriage or segregation thus the states can implement it if they so choose. Black/brown people can move if they don't like it I guess. This is your argument not mine.

a person can drive half way across the US in a day. When i was in the military and stationed in Louisianna, i drove back home to NY and made it in a day. The arguement that it will take days to get someplace that allows it is not correct.

Again, why interject race into a discussion about abortion?

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
they voted for the elected officials. majority vote won. It does go both ways, the pro-life people in blue states whose politicians make abortion easier. Unlike most people, i can see both sides, leaving it up to the states to make their own laws kinda does make sense, majority view in that state will be expressed by the laws in that state. If you live in California, would you want Texas making the laws you have to follow? And the other way, Texas doesnt want California/New York making laws they have to follow
Dangerously ignorant here. Just how they like em.

Jun 18, 2000

So you're cool with elected officials passing laws the majority of the population dislikes because of the R or D next to their name.

And many of those states are so fucking gerrymandered the other side has no chance of having a voice. In other words a minority rule.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
I know you probably don't have a uterus so you don't give any actual fucks and can't be bothered to be informed, but there were already different laws and different access to abortion depending on what state you were in.
this is where you are wrong. I have four daughters, i am very well informed. The problem, as it currently stands with abortion, with many states have different laws on when it can be performed, ties up the supreme court. By the Supreme Court saying what it is expected for them to say, going by the leaked information, someone challenging California's abortion laws wont take up the Supreme Courts time. Why would you want someone who is anti-abortion and doesnt like California law on it, filing a lawsuit against it, putting it on hold while it waits to be heard at the Supreme Court, which can be a year or longer?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
a person can drive half way across the US in a day. When i was in the military and stationed in Louisianna, i drove back home to NY and made it in a day.

Did you have a medical procedure in NY?

The arguement that it will take days to get someplace that allows it is not correct.

You realize many poor people don't own cars right? Or have the financial means to travel as you describe or the flexibility to miss work.

Again, why interject race into a discussion about abortion?

If we are leaving these things to the states based only on enumerated rights then I can certainly talk about it.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
As far as those saying Republicans are crying about the leak, everyone should be.

Yeah all the GARBAGE in the GOP should be crying that this news broke now THATS FOR SURE.

I'm sure the GOP "strategy" was to keep American voters in doubt until as near to the 2022 mid-terms as possible. (especially women!)

Whomever leaked this piece of information is a god-damn HERO as far as I'm concerned!

:mad: